The Corroboree
krazykungfu

Ayahuasca - "Happy Juice" SBS Dateline

Followed by the Opium doco... And all this a few days after Oprah magazine writes about the positive aspects of a certain empathogen...

What's this world coming to?!

it would be good if someone had a link to the doco, i missed it :BANGHEAD2:

Edited by gogogadget

ah ok i'm ahead of myself, i should have realized its on this evening thanks very much bud.

no worries gadget, only realized myself when i searched the sbs page for it, ill have to watch it online coz ill be getting my freak on tonight :blush::lol:

Thanks for the heads up, I' know what I'll be doing tonight now :blush:

`

Edited by Magicdirt

cool, glad I was surfing the tv and saw this doco

I watched this doco and was a little disappointed.

It seemed to me that there was a negative spin on it, while the journalist did not sample the brew to stay objective she never really interviewed anyone that could give a coherent description of what they experienced.

They seemed to brush past the shamans point of view and as soon as his insights sounded a bit weird they seemed to cut him out of the story.

They focused more on the negative aspects of the experience but they didn't elaborate on the spiritual aspects of the experience.

I must say that 12 year old Caapi vine was a monster and I would be proud to have one that size.

The story has not put me off I would still luv to go to the Amazon.

I'm still watching it. Didn't realise it made you vomit :(

What about the woman who felt 'nothing' ? Why does that happen?

Not trying to infer negativity, i'm just curiously asking why.

Well they, have to have some sort of objective point of view,just to stay bias.

It was better than I thought.

Inspired me to have a brew tomorrow

Reasonable good segment to show people that you have been trying to explain this to for years.

Being Dateline gives it a fair cred

Reasonable good segment to show people that you have been trying to explain this to for years.

Being Dateline gives it a fair cred

Yeah, reasonably so.

I watched it with my wife who doesn't really understand my fascination with magical plants and tends to disregard my explanations of the benefits of the other realms as just me being a bit odd.

I was hoping for a little more description of what the brew does but it was kept very vague. They mentioned the words "visual", "hallucinogenic", "spiritual" but without going any further into it. A good start (would like to see more main stream coverage of this sort of stuff) and I felt it showed both positives and negatives, but was just a little lacking in substance for my liking.

The "expert" on Aya scientist had clearly never imbibed himself. Nice touch. :wacko:

I thought it was a bit cringe worthy and it didn't really say much about anything. The journalist said that there is not much "scientifically" known about how aya works on the mind, which I don't think is all that accurate.Relative to what? As far as the neuro pharmacology goes you could probably say the same thing about anti depressant, anti psychotics and GABA slamming anxiolytics, which it was kind of being compared to in the doco. I suppose there isn't much in the way of clinical trials or cohort studies but I don't think it is so mysterious that all they could say about it is that it raises your BP and pulse rate.

"What about the woman who felt 'nothing' ? Why does that happen?"

Yeah, I wish they would have addressed that in the doco as well meeka. It kind of made it sound like you could take a dose of aya and not feel it but that is not really true. She probably didn't have a large enough dose or vomited too early. She was anxious going in and the bloke handing out the doses said he would dose people accordingly. If she managed to get enough drugs from the brew into here blood stream she would have felt it, unless she has some kind of different biochemistry, which is possible I guess. Mind you, if she was so sick from what she had she probably stopped at the right place. Especially if she was so worried about it and being with the other people at the centre didn't help to make her feel comfortable.

`

Edited by Magicdirt

I liked it and I'm glad that it's been made. That being said though, there's other Ayahuasca docos which are much better (e.g. Other Worlds).

Raw Opium was good. Very informative... especially for a TV doco!

. Didn't realise it made you vomit :(

:lol: Hence, the name La Purga. :puke: The vomiting and diarrhea it induces clears your body of worms/parasites and demons. I am not a big fan of vomiting either, but it serves a purpose.

I was hoping to get a little bit more from the segment.. But It was O.K . If i ever get to go to the Amazon jungle, i would be hoping to experience Ayahuasca with an indigenous Shaman. It would just feel more authentic in my opinion.

The ayahuasca segment of Dateline was all too brief, not very infomative, one can hardly call it a doco.

It does however introduce this spiritual technology to a wider public in a fairly reasonable light though I find the title "Happy juice" somewhat wanting.

Much better I thought was the documentary on opium which followed. Most notable was how it stressed the futility, counter-productiveness and stupidity of our current war on (some)drugs.

Edited by Mycot

The doco was dillantantish crapoulosity.

It kind of made it sound like you could take a dose of aya and not feel it but that is not really true. She probably didn't have a large enough dose or vomited too early.

It happens all the time with first timers.

I have been within someone taking Ayahuasca for their first three times, and nothing happened for them, and then on the fourth, it finally worked.

Some people need to take it a dozen times or more before it really starts working. At any rate, it is working, but not at the level of the conscious mind.

Julian.

good to have something relatively positive and non sensastional on mainstream TV

however this was poorly researched and poorly made. bummer.

The whole story from start to finish was shit in every way.

It was full of inaccuracies, irritating trippers wanting to vibe out on cosmic love for the betterment of mankind through warmth or who were basically fuck-ups trying to cope with drug addictions through DMT usage.

The doctors spouted some bullshit, the shaman was a white guy and the whole thing was an obvious western appropriation of the process for financial gain pitched at westerners and you couldnt help but feel it was an exploitation not only of the mixture but also the sketchy trippers who clearly had no idea about what they were consumming.

the shaman was a white guy .

Racist :lol: . For some people, seeing a white guy do this stuff might come across more believable to them ,rather than seeing an indigenous shaman as a witchdoctor and then dismissing the whole thing. We gotta ease the unenlightened into this gradually. :P

The program went for like.. what... ten minutes? , you cant get much across in that time. It could have been worse.

I just found it cool that there's a couple of aussies over there with their own retreat. :)