The Corroboree
shonman

Profitable plants

What would you say the most profitable plants to propagate are?

Legally of course!

We hear and obey our ingenious, all seeing, all knowing infallible Overlords who watch us at all times!

And would never dream of doing anything other than what they command.

• Like 2

I have always dreamed of planting a hazlenut orchard innoculated with truffles.

I suppose it depends on your climate and the amount of space and time available.

Is this something you will be enacting in the near future, or just brainstorming?

• Like 3

most people probably couldn't be bothered replying to this thread because the OP does not provide a climate or relevant location.

• Like 5

I kinda like the idea of aquarium plants for fish tanks with an online shop. Those guys get really good money for easy stuff, not even rooted cuttings somtimes.

But yeah kinda would have to know where you are to suggest anything

• Like 2

that's a good idea el president, I know even some spots were a person takes from the wild, and sells to the aquarium shop, something which could pose the danger of relocating disease. :(

anyway, I have an aquaponic's fresh water pearl farm, so I literally swim in money, hehehe (unfortunately not).

• Like 2

I kinda like the idea of aquarium plants for fish tanks with an online shop. Those guys get really good money for easy stuff, not even rooted cuttings somtimes.

But yeah kinda would have to know where you are to suggest anything

It looks much easier than it actually is, and all the regulations you are expected to adhere to make it more trouble than its worth. On the upside the chances of being caught not complying are fairly low unless someone specifically dobs you in.

2 fuken million strawberry plants keeps my boss happy :uzi: bastard!

• Like 5

Mostly selling/trading but growing as well.

The moving across state & quarantine boundaries is a pain in the butt with varying requirements for each zone & state.

And just to make it more confusing the quarantine zone boundaries don't necessarily match up with state boundaries .

• Like 5

Santalum species are worth a bit - but that's a long term plan (15+ years), and its a regulated market too I think.

Depends on where you are, but also how you construe 'profitable'. High profit doesn't just come from plants/crops that sell for a high unit price, it can also come from plants/crops that require low time/money inputs. Do you want maximum money or maximum return per hour of work - they are not always the same thing, especially in agriculture/horticulture. It also depends on how you would sell your product; online, farmers/growers markets, retail nursery and wholesale nurseries would all place different constraints on what is going to work best for you.

• Like 4

the most profitable crop you can grow is the one you sell the easiest. I guess that depends on where you live and what sort of market your looking at?

• Like 3

Like with ever product there needs to be a market it is easy to dream about selling a product for large amounts of money but if the market is very small then making a good profit might only be sustainable for a few months until you have filled the void ( ie crested peruvians in AU in the next 12 months :) ).

Then it comes down to the same thing with every business input costs compared to sales prices. The trap that most people fall into with plants or crops is not putting all costs into the equation especially labour and also upkeep or replacement of plant and equipment. This is obviously different if its a hobby but for a business all costs need to be considered plus you also need to make a profit that is large enough to cover losses whether from pests or weather.

The reason so many growers grow on such a large scale is the profitableness of each item is low but if you produce enough of a product and you have a market that can take every thing that you can supply then it can still be viable business.

I believe the best model for growing plants or crops as a business is to grow out of season as this normally means you will get a higher price for your produce and it also means you can offer a constant supply. Being able to supply your product into the market all year round is very important with any product that you are trying to sell. Every time that you run out of stock or you don't have stock because of seasonal growing then it leaves the door open for another producer to take over your market.

As the others have said not knowing you location makes it very difficult to suggest any plants as such.

Cheers

Got

• Like 5

If you happen to have a pristine alpine river at your disposal you could farm wasabi? That shits meant to be pretty high roller

Edited by Nemisty
  • Like 1

i hear saffron is quite valuable,

but after watching landline many times it seems to me that a less profitable crop can be boosted by "value adding", making jams/spreads/pickles etc, cheese/yoghurt if you're on a dariy and etc.

• Like 2

parsley...shit easy to grow and restaurants big and small typically cant get enough fresh stuff. Best pocket money I've ever made.

Garlic a second place getter.

But I'm a cool climate creature :wink: , and both products I spruik with me as the "brand" and produce a product I'll stand behind.

• Like 3

Do the restaurants normally go for the flat leaf Parsley in preference to the curly stuff WB ?

we use a shit tonne of curly

parsley is definitely a winning crop.

He WB how do you think garlic would do in Brisbane?

What varieties do you grow?

• Like 2

Garlic would be fine in Brisbane.

Russian is good at handling the more humid subtropical conditions (but it is not true garlic..)

I have just pulled in a bed of purple - from an area with subtropical conditions similar to Brissy..

• Like 2

Thanks, all!

Torsten....climate is what you make it, in a controlled environment........indoor greenhouse.

I am looking into micro propagating Ginseng and Goldenseal starts! and ethno plants...

All input is appreciated !

Climate outside here.....USDA zone 6a.

6 a −23.3 °C (−10 °F) −20.6 °C (−5 °F)

It gets warm in summer......these are the lows.

Err.......hmm......At this time, location = in my mind

Edited by shonman
  • Like 1

I will be looking into all suggestions further...thanks, all!

Aquarium, terrarium plants.......I have thought about that!

The saltwater ones especially pay well.

Excellent suggestions, all!

Thanku mucho!

Edited by shonman

Most conventional crops aren't gonna be that profitable unless you can produce them are large scales, or you come up with some way to drastically boost efficiency. But, conventional crops are dependable, you will always have a market no matter what the economy is like. This (as well as being great for laundering money) is actually one reason why the Italian mafia owned so many grocery stores and restaurants "people always gotta eat", they'd have a source of income no matter what happened.

If you want to make $$$ from something with little overhead investment, you gotta break the market with something new that there will be high demand for. For example, in New Zealand, the company that first started growing CHICKPEAS for fucks sake made millions, the market was there, and people were willing to pay a premium for locally produced chickpeas. The guy who introduced Yukkas to New Zealand is also reported to have made millions propagating them up and selling them for whatever price he wanted (no competition) to nurseries, gardening centres, and home depots. You just gotta look at the local market and demographics, identify any empty niches with potential. It can be bit of a gamble though.

• Like 3

If your going to leap into Aquarium & terrarium plants get onto the aquatic gardeners ass. They know all the in's n outs of growing & the permit system/s you guys have over there.

www.aquatic-gardeners.org/‎

• Like 2

I thought of making herb trays that you can have like a swap and go with restaurants.

and just swap them over each week and take the tray home and put back in the green house

and let it veg back up .

• Like 4

hey big red micro herbs for garnish etc swap and go would make some coin. bright coloured mixes like radish kale etc chefs got no idea but they will cut them to the stump lol.

• Like 3