The Corroboree
Marcel

What's in an avatar?

Following the success of dworx's great "What's in a name?" thread, I thought I'd appropriate the idea and ask you good people what your avatar means and why you chose it.

Mine's a portrait of one of my favourite writers, from whom I've also taken my username.

I have salvia divinorum as my avatar and the reason it is a truly beautiful plant and it was a great experience when I smoked it(all those years ago).

I have salvia divinorum as my avatar and the reason it is a truly beautiful plant and it was a great experience when I smoked it(all those years ago).

Glad it was a positive experience for you! :) My experiences with it are always devastating and they've permanently shaken my views on existence. :(

My avatar are user-name are from this album: Nachtmystium - Black Meddle Pt II: Addicts

I have a thing for fungi and fairies/pixies, so when i saw a greeting card with what appears to be Psilocybe cubensis (must be Amazonian strain :wink: ) with fairies, i knew it was the avatar for me.

Some of the most profound psychedelic experiences I had when I was a kid were from blotters with aums printed on them, so my various avatars have always been aums of some form or another. I also prefer not to completely change my avatar because I find that I associate people's personalities more with their avatar than their username, so I find changing avatars confusing. When I feel like a change, I google aums and find a good pic or draw my own in gimp.

This as always been my avatar on forums. I found it somewhere on the net and liked it. It more colourful than I'd usually be, but I like the colour scheme. I also like it for the nature/psychedelic themes I see in it.

My Avatar is the Logo for Illuminati Records, based in Brisbane.

Just realised my avatar's not very exciting. Its a white daisy with a native bee perched in the centre. The white daisy does have symbolism though although I wasn't aware of that when I took the photo...

My profile picture is actually a Triple Spiral, a Celtic feminine symbol meaning alot of different things... The triple spiral represents me more than the daisy. :P

I find that I associate people's personalities more with their avatar than their username, so I find changing avatars confusing.

me too! not nearly as confusing as changing names though. im so glad i discovered the 'past names' function or whatever. now we just need 'past avatars'

My profile picture is actually a Triple Spiral... meaning alot of different things...

AIR!

Glad it was a positive experience for you! :) My experiences with it are always devastating and they've permanently shaken my views on existence. :(

My avatar are user-name are from this album: Nachtmystium - Black Meddle Pt II: Addicts

LOL devastating...im sorry about your experience but i find the use of that word quite suitable. i wish i could grow salvia here in the police state so i could see if sublingual absorption is less nasty...alas. also how come when i click that link i get "access forbidden" 403 error?

as for my own thing, to be honest i like being mysterious and secretly live in hope someone will recognise it, i find these threads to ruin the magic a little, despite being informative and interesting. so this is a spoiler warning: if you don't want to know what my avatar means, turn back now! of course, you are already here so that's probably unnecessary.

cutting to the proverbial: my picture is the cheshire cat, from the game American McGee's 'Alice' (i've noticed Lewis Carroll's original getting a fair bit of attention around here..). he doesnt usually smoke, but i thought it would make him look classy so i stuck it on in paint. also in the game he appears in a cloud of smoke which i found suitable. i chose this picture back when i joined when i was 15 (omg!) because i like learning about the 19th century and it's approaches to drugs and mental illness/delirium or whatever, both of which are explored in the above game. i'm currently replaying it in anticipation of a forthcoming sequel, and it's still pretty good, despite being like 11 years old. it's also pretty disturbing.

I knew I had seen that before! On some black metal blog whilst searching for new tunes..

as for my own thing, to be honest i like being mysterious and secretly live in hope someone will recognise

Don't worry, I recognized it. Never played the game though.

My avatar is Alex from A Clockwork Orange. It's one of my favourite books and also quite a good film. Nuff said.

Triple Spiral represents the

drawing of the three powers of

the maiden, the mother and the

crone. This symbol stands for

female power and the power

gained through transition and

growth. Triple Spiral has a far

reaching meaning. Spirals also

stand for balance, progress and

direction.

Frank

AIR!

What do you mean by this? I am an Air sign astrologically speaking if thats what you meant? :P

an ex gf had my avatar in huge poster form above her bedhead. I believe the band Tool used the artwork in their promotions. The artists name is Ramiro Rodriguez, who apparently went to art school with Tools lead singer.

Im not a tool fan at all, i appreciated their earlier stuff, but when me and my ex used to trip in her room (which was quite often) id spend hours staring at that poster. It used to give m a sense on one hand that i was drowning, and the situation was hopless, whilst on the ther hand it would give me a feelin of being reborn, connectin with something primal. so yes was very conflicting feelings, hence why i used to stare at it for hours. Really evoked alot of emotion and stimualted alot of thought.

I usually change avatars like i change my undies (monthly), however i feel comfy with his one. I do miss my Mr.T bobble head and dancing Bender. with dancing bender u could say anything and get away with it ;)

most of all i miss Chemical Shamans bouncin tittys. That avatar ruled all.

Edited by incognito

You're still Bender to me :blush:

I made my avatar in Apophysis (fractal creation program) it's not one of my favourites, but it was the easiest to resize down to 50x50 or less or whatever the specs were... I never even named it, and I'm fond of naming my fractals. The third fractal I made in Apophysis3D - still hadn't figured out the 3D parts of it yet, but now I have some really nifty ones.

This thread has reminded me about it, I think I may make more fractals in a while. May upload some of my favourites later on too :)

(Oh man! Looking through my old folder is SO AWESOME. Such creation that I forgot I was even capable of. Thanks for the thread Marcel)

Mine's pretty self explanatory, goes with the chosen username. An interesting pic, I think most would recognise it as Alice, which is odd considering you can't see her face. I like that. And that she's being inquisitive.

I also find it quite confusing when people change their name and avatar. I think that perhaps if you change your identity too often it harms your trade status, as a lot of that trust people associate with you is lost.

What's people's opinion on whether you should address someone as their new name, or continue using their old one that they used for ages? In my brain I still think of a few SABers as their old names, but maybe it is disrespecting to continue with a name they have chosen to abandon?

Edited by Alice

often people change their usernames for very real reasons. i think that should be respected.

Edited by incognito

LOL devastating...im sorry about your experience but i find the use of that word quite suitable. i wish i could grow salvia here in the police state so i could see if sublingual absorption is less nasty...alas.

Soul-crushing and life-ruining but thankfully it's wearing off if I keep on top of my serotonin levels but it's still opened the gates (ie my signature text) to existential nihilism. It's not fair to blame salvia entirely as I was probably weak or pre-disposed to the outcome. Most people have such moments in their lives it's just I think most people get it later when a parent or partner dies and the rest of use are schizophrenic/train-wreck psychonauts.

LOL devastating...im sorry about your experience but i find the use of that word quite suitable. i wish i could grow salvia here in the police state so i could see if sublingual absorption is less nasty...alas. also how come when i click that link i get "access forbidden" 403 error?

Very odd; 403 means you're actively being denied access to that directory. Still works for me though. Smaller here:

Nachtmystium-Addicts.jpg

I knew I had seen that before! On some black metal blog whilst searching for new tunes..

Listen to Instinct:Decay, Black Meddle Pt 1: Assassins and Black Meddle Pt 2: Addicts probably in that order. Psychedelic BM which struck a chord with me (you can probably guess which chord) at this point in my life with this latest album. Don't PM me because I will not give a link to download them.

My avatar is Alex from A Clockwork Orange. It's one of my favourite books and also quite a good film. Nuff said.

Haven't watched the film all the way through but I just picked the book up randomly a few nights ago and am a few pages in; this is going to be a slow and difficult but enjoyable read. ;)

Pink Floyd has been my favourite band for as long as I've listened to music. The image is awesome, and was quite important to my 'friend' on an LSD trip, pretty much the central image depicting the journey between trip and sobriety as it progressed.

Badass.

"this guy" (google it)

Haha! I love that show too, awesome :) Talkin about synchronicities lately, this has just blown me away bahahaha

I chose my avatar due to my obsession with '60's psychedelic-heavy-blues-rock trio Cream, whose music challenged the emerging flower-power pop psychedelia by playing heavier, more skilled and technically proficient than most other artists of the time. Cream were probably the most disheveled looking mob in the industry also LOL. Of which Im sure a thousand mothers of teenagers hated. They, along with Jimi Hendrix, also pioneered the early use of a wah-wah pedal. Also heroic amounts of drugs ! Sadly, this is way before my time, I wasnt even born by the time Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker (often considered the "World's Greatest Drummer") & Eric Clapton (Who was often referred to around London as "God") called it quits in 1968. But I can appreciate that if it wasn't for the legacy of a band like Cream, contemporary music tody would be sappy, lifeless mass-marketed pop drivel.

Oh, wait... !

• Like 2

Ginger Baker (often considered the "World's Greatest Drummer")

Considered that by people still stoned from Cream's day. :P Compare

to
(who stays sobre before playing). Not having a go; Cream are good and I suppose this was considered pretty impressive drumming...back then. Then again, some people ignore who's the best with a style over who started it.

Sorry mate. Fast does not equal good. And that guy has very little groove going on. Don't get me wrong, I'm not put off by metal bands, actually listen to a lot. But this guy doesn't do anything for me. Technical, sure, but musical, no. For the genre I would say Chris Adler's studio material is outstanding to listen to.

Edit; and that Baker example you posted is a terrible example. Listen to the album (not some crappy youtube audio) Disraeli Gears with the lights down low, a big spliff in your hand, uninterrupted from start to finish.

Edited by Psylo Dread

frank, i thought the last airbender movie was good. i don't see why fans hate it so much and i really hope he gets the go ahead to make the other two movies.

i got stuck in american mcgees alice, but i enjoyed it even though it was well-old when i played it. the new game should be fun.

i've never changed my name, i find it hard to keep track of people even when they don't change their names and avatars.

tripsis, upon closer inspection, i really like the look of your avatar.

mine, was made in paint, and hasn't changed in years, i'm perfectly happy with it. i change my avatar around on other forums quite a bit and have fun with them, often i construct them in paint.