The Corroboree
Distracted

Biggest full moon in 18 years :o

http://masoncountydailynews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2290:biggest-full-moon-possible-&catid=69:features&Itemid=154

Get ready for a close encounter with the moon. On March 19, the moon won't just be at its closest approach to Earth in its elliptical orbit, but enthusiasts say it will be closer to Earth than it's been in 18 years. The moon's orbit around us is slightly elliptical, and when the moon is at the near point it is known as a lunar perigee. But on the Internet, astronomy and astrology fans are calling this upcoming lunar event a "supermoon."

For the past few days, they've not only been buzzing about the mega moon, but the meteorological mayhem they expect it to cause. But no need to grab your survival kit just yet -- scientists say it just isn't so.

In a blog post earlier this month, AccuWeather blogger Mark Paquette said a new or full moon at 90 percent or more of its closest perigee qualifies as a "supermoon." Next weekend's full moon won't just be a supermoon but an extreme supermoon, he said, because the moon will be almost precisely at its closest distance to Earth.

According to "new age" forecasts, he said, the supermoon is expected to bring strong earthquakes, storms or unusual climate patterns.

"There were supermoons in 1955, 1974, 1992 and 2005. These years had their share of extreme weather and other natural events. Is the Super Moon and these natural occurrences a coincidence?" he wrote. "Some would say yes; some would say no. I'm not here to pick sides and say I'm a believer or non-believer in subjects like this, but as a scientist I know enough to ask questions and try to find answers."

Paquette told ABCNews that he wants to remain "neutral" on the topic but said, "I do think it's possible that it could bring earthquakes, volcanic eruptions or anything weather-related as well."

But NASA astronomer Dave Williams said there's no reason to believe that anything out of the ordinary -- aside from an especially big and bright full moon -- will take place next week.

"There's nothing really special about this," he said.

For starters, although the moon will be closer than it's been for 18 or 19 years, it will only be one or two percent closer.

"It's nothing you could notice unless you made really accurate measurements," he said. "It's a few thousand miles closer, but as far as the moon's orbit is considered, that's nothing."

I noticed today while coming home from work that the setting moon was awefully large, infact one of the largest i've seen in my life, then stumbled upon this article.

Cool :)

Uh-oh full moon always = arguments in my neighborhood :lol: I hope there aren't more than usual!

Gonna drive to an open place nearby though to show the kids the massive moon when it happens. Should be really cool. :)

• Like 1

`

Edited by Magicdirt

I had to laugh the other day i read astatement by one of Australias's top astronomers that the possibility of the supermoon causing any natural disasters is a bout as likely as a meteor hitting earth and wiping out all life in 2012 that was dated March 10 I bet that guy feels like a bit of a dick now

It still astounds me too that people have such lack of faith in the power of the moon's influence over mankind.

It's generally believed that the moon can have an affect on menstruation and fertility so why wouldn't it affect the earth and her inhabitants in a million other ways....

Strange to read that people doubt its effects so.

Will be looking at the sky on Saturday night, that's for sure! Would be good to get somewhere coastal, like I did for the eclipse.

Been waiting for this one for awhile now....I have a mate who keeps linking all these natural disasters to it..(who knows)....makes as much sense as carbon dioxide I suppose....

All I hope for now is clear sky's......I used to live just over the edge of the Toowoomba range in Qld...some nights when a full moon was on the rise it would look like the moon was about to swallow us up....looked like you could reach out and touch it...I know it was an optical allusion but fuck it was impressive...Haven't seen it like that since we moved....

I had to laugh the other day i read astatement by one of Australias's top astronomers that the possibility of the supermoon causing any natural disasters is a bout as likely as a meteor hitting earth and wiping out all life in 2012 that was dated March 10 I bet that guy feels like a bit of a dick now

Why?

There is still a good deal of speculation about any link between the supermoons and natural disasters. Historically years of supermoons have had their share of such, but I don't think noticeably more or less than other years. So why would he feel like a dick?

Ooh I'm going to a party this saturday in Newtown. It's going to be interesting now, I wot!

Anyone in the Newcastle area who wants to howl at the moon in front of a sweet KV2 sound system enjoying psy trance and techno's finest send me a PM for the location...

My bands playing Saturday - we've changed our name to 'atomic werewolves' for the show!

The moon madness has begun around my area.

Yesterday arvo there was a scrag fight next door and later there was an all in brawl there too.

Other places I've lived people stay a safe distance from the fighting but here people get up close and they bring their kids and pets, a few dogs joined in the fight for a while too.

I saw a few heads poke out of front doors then go back inside, seconds later they turned up eating chips and drinking stubbies.

It's like they see a fight and their first thought is "shit get some beer and chips"

No-one thought to ring the cops and the brawl dragged on for over 20 minutes, we got sick of it and went back inside after the chips ran out.

LOL^ . What would be the best vantage point to view the moon, obviously out of suburbia ,away from the bright lights but, on a beach?, on a mountain? . I hope it is a clear night so we get the full view.

EDIT: i know the bit about being out of suburbia sounds a bit blond( no offense) but what i mean is that it will seem all the more luminous in a darker place.... Out of suburbia.

Edited by Amazonian

The moon madness has begun around my area.

Yesterday arvo there was a scrag fight next door and later there was an all in brawl there too.

Other places I've lived people stay a safe distance from the fighting but here people get up close and they bring their kids and pets, a few dogs joined in the fight for a while too.

I saw a few heads poke out of front doors then go back inside, seconds later they turned up eating chips and drinking stubbies.

It's like they see a fight and their first thought is "shit get some beer and chips"

No-one thought to ring the cops and the brawl dragged on for over 20 minutes, we got sick of it and went back inside after the chips ran out.

I know this is probably private, but what ghetto area of Newcastle;Hunter is this????

I got a shock last night looking up at the moon. There was this glowing ring around it and at first I thought WTF? But then realised it was a cloud/vapour trail in a circle left by a plane, or an unusual circular cloud formation. I just happened to look up right when the moon was in the centre of this circle as it shifted a few minutes later. Looked pretty cool though.

Shoot the Moon!! heh not exactly confidence inspiring. This is my first post here BTW so Hello

Shoot the Moon!! heh not exactly confidence inspiring. This is my first post here BTW so Hello

Hey rota....welcome....

Gonna be a whole lot of folk tripping balls around the country tonight I suspect. No better spectacle.

I got a shock last night looking up at the moon. There was this glowing ring around it and at first I thought WTF? But then realised it was a cloud/vapour trail in a circle left by a plane, or an unusual circular cloud formation. I just happened to look up right when the moon was in the centre of this circle as it shifted a few minutes later. Looked pretty cool though.

Are you sure it wasn't this?

Well Brisbane has some serious cloud cover that I don't expect will lift by tonight.

*Sadface*

yep. i wonder if it would have even been visibly larger.

won't it be practically as large tomorrow?

Same up here.....

How can I turn into my alter ego with out it...

LOLwolf.jpg

Are you folks sure that it's tonight? Don't forget that we're one day ahead of America...