The Corroboree
Evil Genius

Movies that changed your life

yeah mate, I have only seen once, and I remember that by the time the film ended I wanted to watch over again to really see what's the score. GReat film. Still only seen it once!

Lots of great movies mentioned, cool tastes :)

To really understand all the implications in Memento I think you just about have to watch the whole thing backwards - scene by scene but watching it twice in a row sure does help.

Edited by strangebrew

Movies I can watch over and over, nice topic.

I love to watch those arnie flicks

Terminator 2

Total Recall

Commando

Maybe a feel-good movie thread would be nice :)

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

just found;

The Cove

Know Your Mushrooms 2009

Movies that changed your life...

When I was 12, my mum took us to the George street Hoyts cinema,.. with my little 7yr old sister,..and only cause she wanted to see it...rolleyes.gifABBA the movie

I've never been the same again...wacked.gif

Anyone mention Inglourious basterds yet? Tarantino is the king of dialogue

He"s the king of hollywood, But no Alfred Hitchcock.[better than]

The only difference is that Tarantino is alot nicer where Hitchcook just terrified old ladys in England so a plot when in the US a exotic local or plot setting.

my vote goes to

412KQQVGCRL._SS500_.jpg

i wouldn't say it 'changed my life', but it was a damn good movie plus the soundtrack & the way it was used was outstanding.

Pulp Fiction gets a nod too.

He"s the king of hollywood, But no Alfred Hitchcock.[better than]

The only difference is that Tarantino is alot nicer where Hitchcook just terrified old ladys in England so a plot when in the US a exotic local or plot setting.

Yeah Hitchcock is great. The concept behind Rope is a great one. I had to watch Rear Window for a course at uni . . . . good stuff, although a little tame compared to contemporary films, still where would modern directors be without Alf

Enter The Dragon

Dad use to work as an usher at what was one of the "big" cinemas in Adelaide(Odeon) so i saw hundreds of films but they would have private screenings when staff would check out new stuff, the excuse being if they had already seen it they would not be distracted from their jobs :lol:

So aged 7 or 8, one saturday night Dad took me to a private showing of "Enter The Dragon" this brand new flick being shown the following day, And the impression Bruce Lee left on me shaped a lot i've done in my life, and i'm ont just talking about fighting but and i know it's a little cliche but "absorbing what is useful and discarding what is not"

• Like 1

'Into the wild' and 'fear and loathing in las vegas', are the 2 best movies ever made. lol, cross the 2 together and that's pretty much how I'm going out.

Peace  

Not necesseraly my favourites (some are) but movies that actuall y changed the way i felt or thought or perceived things are:

Forrest gump, made me love more, well encouraged to show love more i guess

Shindlers list, made me hate more, saw it when i was young and made me think about true evil for the first time

Jacobs ladder, great movie and the ending i thought was genious and i think about it alot and translate it to my life 'the only thing you leave behind is what you cannot let go of' (along those lines) has helped me to forget some things that linger in my mind

Star wars terminator and mad max trilogy, wouldnt have known how to describe this but from reading other posts, yeah these really expanded my sence of wonder seeing these young. Theres lots more sci fi that are my favourites but none i could say changed my life in any way.

Conan the barbarian and enter the dragon, focused me alot again when i was getting into sports i guess i was impacted alot more by movies when i was young

And lastly human traffic, i think is a great movie that changes alot in the way it is filmed and the feeling it gives which reminds me alot of perception changes in drug use, this film made me appreciate my friends and the fun we have alot and is a classic to many people i know, although i never see it mentioned in any lists any imput on this movie opinions?

Ps naruto and dbz kick ass and im sure ive been influenced by these growing up

Edited by coryWA

A doco', not a movie.... 'The Secret' made me have a much much more positive outlook on life .

Bruce Lee was awesome. What a legend.

not a particularly "life changing film" but abit ov existential fun:

I Heart Huckabees

'adaptation' is a seriously cool movie. not weird like kaufmans other movies, just unique, and cool.

i weirded out for a while the first time i watched brazil. i was only 15 or so at the time though, and just started smoking weed. so thats probably got a bit o do with it.

the other time i truly weirded out was i was watching the xfiles, and there was this scene, not sure if it actually exists or not, but it was of my family wheeling my mum into her house in a wheelchair when she was old and frail. she was also senile and then one of the people turned and i heard this voice say "you're schizophrenic ". fuck that was weird, stoned as a mother fucker at the time though.

Yeah the TV talked to me sometimes when I got stoned too! Also sometimes synchs would happen where it was so weird that it felt like it was all live and there was someone backstage handing them impromptu scripts based around whatever I had been doing or talking or thinking about.

Once when I was about 7 I was watching that show with that "Aggro" puppet and there was music playing and me and my sister were dancing in front of the TV.. the blonde woman who was the host turned to look directly into the camera and Aggro asked her what she was looking at and she said "there is a very cute boy and girl dancing out there"... I don't know if they were trying to make kids feel involved but it scared the shit out of me!

The Nines with Ryan Reynolds is a cool, trippy movie... also Existenz by David Cronenberg is another one I really liked.

Thunder you reckon Adapatation is not weird? It's good, but I thought it was pretty weird..

Another good Darren Aronofsky (Pi) one is The Fountain... excellent!

Obviously Mulholland Drive and other David Lynch films should go in here somewhere.

Edited by chilli

I watched the original Terminator for the first time in about a decade recently, and I was honestly blown away by what a good movie it was. Other movies from my childhood that I've watched recently, Alien is one example, did not quite live up to my memories, though I still enjoyed. Terminator is so effective in the tension is creates, and the plot is as close to flawless as a time-travel narrative can get I think. It also had more plot elements than I remembered, like the love story of reece and sarah connor. It actually left me hungry for more Terminator, so I watched Terminator Salvation out of desperation, which I was expecting to be garbage based on the reviews and how bad Rise of the Machines was, yet it turned out to be surprisingly good. It was heavily flawed, but I felt that the dark tone actually got back more to the original intentions of the first movie and departed from the comic book humour of the other two. I still wish they didn't overdo the special effects. I love CGI, but it seems to encourage film-makers to show more rather than less, and I think the most effective thriller type sci-fi movies show only glimpses of the antagonist. When you see too much, it makes it less chilling. In the old days, they couldn't get away with showing too much because of the technology of the day, but in my opinion it made for more effective filming and editing. I was discussing this with a friend recently, and I even think that prior to CG, film-makers were too quick to make use of the latest special effects and would have been better off showing less. To give an example that is also from terminator, there is the eye surgery scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNpb8KQ-OQ0

I think this may have looked much better with the 3 seconds or so of the puppeteered head being edited out. Today they would go even further and have a full blown five minutes of CGI gore, and that would have completely ruined it. Most of the time less is more. CGI goes really well in a movie like Transformers, which is intended to be lightweight. For a movie that's meant to be chilling, I think it's better when stuff like that is implied rather than overstated.

Ooh yeah Fight Club! Alien/s! Terminator!

E.T.?

Edited by chilli