The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
holymountain

Huge pedro

finally after years of keeping my eyes peeled on drives across the country i stumbled across a huge san pedro growing a few doors up from my parents house in country nsw. i looked everywhere and somehow never noticed this....lucky i found it now and not when i was in high school...might never have finished.

14082009239.jpg

14082009240.jpg

14082009242.jpg

14082009241.jpg

i spoke with the owners and they said i was welcome to take as much as i wanted. see all you have to do is ask!!

will hopefully get some cuttings in the near future and be able to pass some around these parts...

• Like 1

a lovely specimen indeed man well done :lol:

That monster is in need of some serious pruning, beautiful find HM :D

looks like the plant called pc here in the states. ime big old growth like that is great to prop with, but has low entheo value, if you ever test it will you confirm ??

That is going to be one scary task cutting down one of the larger columns. I can only imagine how much one might weigh!

That monster is in need of some serious pruning, beautiful find HM :D

I know just the man for the job....

Choice.. good find mate, seems as though it finally wanted to show its self to you.

Depending on where you are located I may be interested in some cuts if the price is right.

And from what I understand old growth is where some of the real magic tends to sleep.

ime big old growth like that is great to prop with, but has low entheo value, if you ever test it will you confirm ??

i would strongtly disagree. older the material the better.

Looks like the cacti is leaning away from where a large shrub used to be which may be the reason you never noticed it before.

The cacti is kinda unstable bent like that and really needs a major prune at about 1/3 of the way up. The new shoots would grow straight up vertical and look much nicer & stronger etc.

Now you just gotta convince the owner that it needs such a severe pruning. Tell him the whole thing could topple and break his house. :wink:

Just a note, I've found from personal experience that it isn't such a good idea to lay cacti logs on top of each other (eg in the back of the ute or posted in the mail ((even for short-spined pedros)) as the spines cause a lot of damage to the other logs around them. I had about 15 nice logs go black & half rotten from the multitude of scratches and punctures they received after going through the post this way. A good idea might be to place a layer of cardboard in between each layer of logs for protection when you pick them up.

Being well prepared and putting the extra effort in is soooo 'worth it' when it comes to cacti. Don't learn the hard way like I did lol.

Edited by San Petrovinski

ime big old growth like that is great to prop with, but has low entheo value, if you ever test it will you confirm ??

i would strongtly disagree. older the material the better.

perhaps, but badly neglected/ under fed cacti you rescue from yards?

Edited by PD.

even moreso.

Neglect and underfeeding could (in my own theory anyway), bolster the alkaloid production.

The more a plant is fighting for survival the more protective alks it will produce. (again my own theory.)

Edited by PD.

From experiments I have made I have to agree that the older the branch is the more alkaloids it will contain but I disagree with the claim that stress and neglect will bolster alkaloid %. I have tested branches that had bruises, marks and sunburns they were not even close to being potent as healthy branches from the same mother plant. In my opinion which I base on experience it is all but a myth that a neglected plant will be more potent, and I would never recommend treating them bad, quite the contrary - these plants are great guides and teachers and should be treated as a living organism that wants nothing but to survive. It is believed that if you give them good conditions and feed them well(not over water) they will show much more growth, healthy and strong they will become very potent.

:drool2: Edited by mac

even moreso.

in my experience the older growth has been more potent. Neglect and underfeeding could (in my own theory anyway), bolster the alkaloid production.

The more a plant is fighting for survival the more protective alks it will produce. (again my own theory.)

im my garden plants fed high n levels were approx 40% stronger,

It is believed that if you give them good conditions and feed them well(not over water) they will show much more growth, healthy and strong they will become very potent.

i agree

PPL, can you please refrain from discussing potency and PLEASE, no talk of extractions, there is just no need for it!!!

A good idea might be to place a layer of cardboard in between each layer of logs for protection when you pick them up.

Indeed SP. Cardboard or some thick old carpet is ideal, that said, ive never had a problem with large amounts of pedro, psycho0 is another thing tho!. You should be able to fit 100-150ft in a medium sized sedan no worries HM (back seat and boot) but by the looks of that pedro there could be up to 200-250ft there to get depending on how feral they let ya go with the pruning hehe.

Wow man! Nice find! It defintiely pays to keep your eyes peeled in country towns.

After reading this thread it reminded me of these cacti growing where i grew up. Anyone live near tamworth? Or better yet barraba? I don;t know exactly what it is but it would be worth checking out if anyone lives near there.

ha...yeah my parents live in country nsw it's the only pedro i've noticed though in the whole area. then again, i'd never noticed this one and i'd been looking for the last two or three years. a hell of a lot of cereus around though...there'd have to be a few pedro or two floating about amongst them though.

Edited by holymountain

Yeah nice one!! " start chopp'n"

As a tree lopper i couldnt help thinking, just becareful with ladders man, LOL!! you might need one ( i recomend hiring a real goodie ) and always have someone holding it in place for you, look out for overhead wires or anything 'live'.

Happy lopping man!

thats an impressive find! must be amazing to see in flower

Right... so that's just a touch bigger than I had pictured when you mentioned it... You could build a log cabin out of that thing!