The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

how do you beat "work for the dole"?

Urghhh....get a job ?

ummhhh... send the government to hell?

Work for the dole is a crock IMO ,around here the work for the dole guys spend their time raking sticks into piles for the Bandicoots to live in .If it was me i would take 'em up on the education , i would love to go back and study and if thet help out i say go for it .Retrain in horticulture , pick up a trade , shit if there paying might as well take it as knowledge is power.

you'll get through it sooo much faster with a real job (ie less hours required) even if you decide to find a part time, or temporary position or get yourself fired once your obligation is completed.

quote:

or get yourself fired once your obligation is completed.

Umm...not a good idea - Centrelink can refuse to pay you if you have fucked up any job within some period (6 months?) - for eg. if you and your fellow union members strike, then the lot of you get fired, then you find a temporary job for the next month, then ask Centrelink for the dole, they can refuse to pay you because it was your fault you lost the original job. It's possible you can get away with it, but I'd check out the Social Security Laws very carefully before you tell your boss to go fuck himself.

go to uni? I've been at it 6 years...havn't worked a day

Yup,

If you get fired or it was your fault your no longer employed, like if you quit for instance you have to reapply and go through the wating period all over again..

Something like 13-16 weeks if I remember correctly, its been a long time since I had to reaply.

[ 12. May 2005, 09:59: Message edited by: AndyAmine. ]

get diagnosed with Chronic fatigue.

its easy and there is no way they can confirm otherwise...

a little work cant hurt anyone.

if it does anything it gives your atleast some sort of pride that you can make some money.

besides if you have been on unemployment benifits and you have got some trade skills. the ces has programs for people to start thier own business's, they set you up with basic capitol to buy the fundimentals for your business, then support you with additional funds to survive.

gezzzzzzzzz i dont know what else people need!!!

there are plenty of other ways to take advantage of taxpayers money. get out there and make your own money, deserve life, dont expect it.

to many people in our country think the world owes them something.

my 2 cents

just do what the girls back in high school always did when they wanted to get out of PE. say you're having your period

the best way to shirk your responsibilities is to get diagnosed with depression. been doing it my entire life, and perfecting that empty look of despair isn't as hard as it seems. from experience though, having a reason to get out of bed (and jerry springer doesn't count!) is far more valuable than any $ you could get from the govt.

roflmao

my girl is on work for the dole. with absolutly no experience she looks after up to 30 children aged between 0.5 and 5 yrs old.

and she cant be help liable if somthing happens to the kids.

work for the dole has become the new socially acceptable slave labour.

i hate to say, it but would u feel safe with your children with somone ive described??? (yes, like my girl)

both her and myself agree no, we would not.

EDIT - now every one can have their opinion but...

quote:

the best way to shirk your responsibilities is to get diagnosed with depression. been doing it my entire life, and perfecting that empty look of despair isn't as hard as it seems. from experience though, having a reason to get out of bed (and jerry springer doesn't count!) is far more valuable than any $ you could get from the govt.

WOH WOH WOH FUCK DUDE!!

i am a genuine sufferer from manic depression(bi-polar)and your statement is ok after i re read it another 30 times but it does appear like you condone the abuse of genuine afflictions in order to achieve $$. though i must say you do dis encourage it with

quote:

from experience though, having a reason to get out of bed (and jerry springer doesn't count!) is far more valuable than any $ you could get from the govt.

so im tryin not to get on a high horse here but shit dude, made my head spin!

you too bluemeanie

[ 12. May 2005, 12:42: Message edited by: Amulte ]

many appoligise to all on that last remark.

i just really get the shits when i re learn how fucked some people in this world can be.

EDIT - yeah im with 2b, gomaos, and jasemateau either fix the gov or get off your fucking ass, giving everyone else a bad name

[ 12. May 2005, 12:48: Message edited by: Amulte ]

chronic fatigue doesnt mean shit to centrelink...They wont put you on a disability pension and will only give u 13 weeks off per medical certificate...

but i suppose you could always go to the doctor every 13 weeks and get another certificate to say that yes you are still wrecked...

sounds like fun.

especially when your in that situation with no other option...

Oh yeah, and ppl who fake chronic fatigue to get the dole probably infuriate people who actually have chronic fatigue, and who would much rather be doing somethgin more worthwhile with their time/life.

It aint fun!

quote:

Oh yeah, and ppl who fake chronic fatigue to get the dole probably infuriate people who actually have chronic fatigue, and who would much rather be doing somethgin more worthwhile with their time/life.

It aint fun!

my hat off to you. you couldn't be more correct. but from my time in the hospital i knew 3 people with CFS. all were on the dis pension but it took them at least 7 years to provide enough evidence it was a true claim. there is still no pysical evidence that CFS exists so centerlink will not easially acknowledge it

quote:

i am a genuine sufferer from manic depression(bi-polar)

sorry dude, no offence was meant, was being facetious. i've genuinely had depression and social anxiety since mid-teens, so was poking fun at myself. but if someone was to lie and use this affliction as an excuse to stay on the dole i really wouldn't care because by choosing that way to live i think they'd lose more than they'd gain.

one more thing

within EVERY profession there are tasks that can piss off anyone, and everyone has these tasks to do.

i remember metting some dudes years ago at the CES they were bitching because of stupid little jobs they had to do in various positions, they felt be-littled.

so what everyone has demeaning tasks.

as does everyone must wash the dishes after you've cooked dinner, not mummy.

my first job was mopping and sweeping bakery floors, i learnt how to make bread out of it.

this lead to a shitload of opportunitys

not everything is what it seems.

Deleted

[ 13. May 2005, 11:59: Message edited by: Leo^ ]

my first job was mopping and sweeping bakery floors, i learnt how to make bread out of it.

exactly... nice one. ppl are too fricking picky. they'll apply for months trying to get a particular position and in some specific industry (almost pigheadedly), etc, but they wouldn't even dream of sweeping floors or cleaning full-time for a while, and then crack the shits when they have to do some jobsearch training. all they really need to learn is that the deal is that you do any job you're physically capable of (there's exceptions i know)

but this is true of ppl with plenty of training and ppl with no training.

my dad's an A-grade journalist with over 20 years of experience and about 10 years in public relations but he thought nothing of taking a minimal wage job as a door-to-door collector for a charity for a couple months until he could find something more suited to him and start to work his way up again (his age was seemingly working against him for quite a while despite his experience & he could never hit his peak again as far as earnings go)

faking an illness just sounds so wrong imho

my experience with centrelink and job networks makes me wonder how so many ppl can sit around and whine about the state of affairs. of course it's always productive to talk about how things can be improved, and maybe other ppls exp's are vastly different to mine, but i never had any trouble with centrelink. they were always 100% helpful, no bullshit. the job network ppl were even better. thoughtful & caring, and genuine about it. (this was salvation army employment plus) they'd give me taxi vouchers to get to job interviews (if public transport was inconvenient), offered me a mobile phone, money for clothes/shoes/whatever might be necessary for getting a particular job. they offered to pay for a few driving lessons and costs involved to get my L's

there are so many services available and people waiting to go out of their way to assist you

[ 13. May 2005, 07:23: Message edited by: coin ]

That's a fairly useful and cost effective approach :)

Small expenses like taxi and shoes are still a lot less than 2 years of dole payment.

Kudos to whoever implemented that system.

sorry ppl

i just get huffy when this subject comes up.

jasemateau--yeah you have been a bit huffy :)

so has Amulte

quote:

EDIT - yeah im with 2b, gomaos, and jasemateau either fix the gov or get off your fucking ass, giving everyone else a bad name

in the OP i just asked the question. i've been in full time work for the last 20 years.

it would be 'nice' to be able to concentrate on being self sufficient, while being registered unemployed--for the backup ov benefits (while starting out, at least) & for the reduced costs--in health, bills etc.; without being harrassed into some crappy work/learning scheme or having to turn it into some kind ov business--w/all the stress that involves.

if feigning illness helps achieve said aim--no problem w/me.

several ways of avoiding howards slave labour plan but the best would have to be go find/make some work for yourself. it's not all bad, i've still got mates that i met at jobs, tafe courses, etc twenty years ago. as others have mentioned above - the bonus is that you'll inevitably pick up some skills and they're yours to keep. for life. it may take ten years or so from the time you've moved on from a job but i can almost guarantee that old skills always find a way back into your life or other businesses.

[ 14. May 2005, 11:12: Message edited by: waterdragon ]

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or get yourself fired once your obligation is completed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Umm...not a good idea - Centrelink can refuse to pay you if you have fucked up any job within some period

of course you'll have to improvise a bit:

get yourself sacked for reasons the employer can't tell to centerlink, i.e. racist reasons, sexist ones, political ones, just disagree wityh every opinion your employer/foreman has, and they'll sack you as soon as possible, without telling the real reason because that would be illegal (i.e. illegal for a boss to sack someone because s(he) is a communist, a homosexual, an anarchist, pro-muslim etc.

Has ALWAYS worked for me in the past, and I must have had hundreds of casual jobs, lost count...

[ 15. May 2005, 00:47: Message edited by: gomaos ]

The last time I was on the jobsearch treadmill I started work at a bulk foods warehouse supplying a very well known Perth grocer and ethnic food store. After four weeks I quit. Centrelink wanted to know why, so I told them that work conditions were unsafe, wages were insufficient, and I was a 'casual' employee working full time, meaning I didn't get any benefits. Further, I felt uncomfortable in the workplace as I was not a brawny meathead. All of this was true. However if you need to quit a job and centrelink wants to know why you could tell them any of these things (unsafe conditions would be guaranteed). I don't think they'd check.