The Corroboree
obtuse

2011 census - religion

In the past three i have put down Jedi Knight. :lol:

This time around im going to put down entheogens. i feel its time to really to be honest about the degree to which plant medicines proved fundamentally important to my spiritual beliefs, so i for one am putting it down.

im curious as to what others think about this. but really i would like to think that others will be doing the same.

Cheers, Obtuse.

its tempting to write something like "CRACK COCAIN, LULZ"

I am definitely putting down pastafarian & I'm hoping there are many more people that will be doing the same.

Let's get some large scale hilarity happening. :wink:

• Like 1

pastafarian was the previous census

Im quite serious, and not interested in hilarity.

I see it as an opportunity to represent my plant based spirituality in the statistics that are used to make governmental decisions.

and yes i am the grinch that stole christmas. :lol:

Cheers, Obtuse.

there is no point- its simply recorded as n/a.

until rastafarians or jedi's start organising and buying homes for the old or needy or actually organise to influence people's lives in a positive way through community based programs your just wasting ink.

damn. :BANGHEAD2:

oh well, theres my rant for the month. lol.

cheers, Obtuse.

until rastafarians or jedi's start organising and buying homes for the old or needy or actually organise to influence people's lives in a positive way through community based programs your just wasting ink.

Stitched you right up!

are you sure? as far as i knew they had to classify things as an official religion if more than 2000 people put it down, no matter how stupid. LOL@crack. but seriously, i am going to put neoshaman or alchemist or something. i am totally with obtuse here.

on this note, however, i have never done a census. how does it work? does everyone have to do one or only one per household?

edit: having watched above video. LOL. i love john safran. and bob. i wish more catholics were like him. "do whatever you want" lol. however that exorcist guy is pretty annoying, and juggalos are just stupid. is this a new show?

and not to thread hijack but there is actually a fair bit of research going on in anthropology/theology about people's spiritual associations with fiction and stories. i think it's very fascinating.

Edited by frank

no mention of naruto in that video, i guess it's just me then..

wel im not sure its recorded 100% n/a frank but its either that or no religion, i listened to the head census guy from the gov talkback on 882.

stiched up hey synchro :)

i dont mind being stiched up because it means your wrong and at least you can learn a lesson from it, i really dont know what i can learn from that vid you posted except for watching some paid actors, a few extremists follow a comedians script and that you must have a internet plan with lots of free megabites to watch all these vids.

stiched up hey synchro :)

i dont mind being stiched up because it means your wrong and at least you can learn a lesson from it, i really dont know what i can learn from that vid you posted except for watching some paid actors, a few extremists follow a comedians script and that you must have a internet plan with lots of free megabites to watch all these vids.

You didn't say that? Anyway, they are not acting at all you ass... And I didn't watch the video on the internet either. :wave-finger:

Sadly any pastafarian entry is a loss to the atheist count. The cut off is 10,000, but apparently jedi got that many and still wasn't put on the list. the list of religion entries is actually very itneresting. you should check it out on their website.

Just a friendly reminder: Don't put down Catholic unless you believe in Catholicism. Because simply being baptised does not make you a Catholic! :wink:

LOL neither does being Christened,circumsized,Anglicised and converted via Enteogenetic contact :lol:....where does that leave you?

You didn't say that? Anyway, they are not acting at all you ass... And I didn't watch the video on the internet either. :wave-finger:

you have totally lost me synchro, yeh i posted that quote...what point are you trying to make and why the animosity? and how did you know i had a nice ass.:blush:

all you ass
thank you anyway big kiss to you too :wub: Edited by santiago

Whatever, Towlie.

The video shows community, people. Santiago just doesn't want to admit it.

no mention of naruto in that video, i guess it's just me then..

avatar for me. the real one, with bending. not that stupid pocahontas crap.

• Like 1

avatar for me. the real one, with bending. not that stupid pocahontas crap.

so you're gonna put 'bender'? :P:lol:

• Like 1

tripsis is it just me or does that page contradict itself? first it says 'the government has no say in where churches/mosques/synagogues are built' (or something similar) but then a few questions down it says "Data on religious affiliation are used for such purposes as ... the location of church buildings". wtf?

in any case i agree with the separation of church and state but i dislike people who identify as 'atheist', because i associate it with 'antagonist'. not in sound, but in the fact that they like to argue and be intolerant of others. therefore i am glad the census thing says 'no religion', but i still think i will put something down that reflects my lifestyle. what about 'recreational drug user'? freedom of religion maaaaaaan :rolleyes:

syncromesh makes a good point: i am worried my mum will put catholic even though she hates catholicism. she isn't very smart...

edit: further regarding the aus atheist foundation, i take offence to this comment: The Atheist Foundation of Australia believes that only those who actively follow the tenets of a religious faith should consider themselves to be truly members.

thats fucking stupid. how many christians, to use the obvious example, actually go to church every sunday and say grace before eating every time, but still believe in christ as their saviour or whatever? heaps, including a friend of mine who is in training to be a minister. so to say 'you aren't really religious unless you follow the bible/whatever to the letter' is extremely offensive and counterproductive to their cause, i think.

Edited by frank

whats a towlie?:)

im still lost synchro??......the video shows ''community", ok right hmmm? er whats that got to do with filling out your census form as a jedi.

sorry bro im not understanding today very clearly im having a bad hair day :rolleyes:

if you mean in retrospect what i meant as in a real religion per se having foundations within the community ie united church homes etc, well yeh i cant really argue for or against that, the head honcho from census gov who i listened to on 882 was asked that same question in regards to what defines a religion............going only on memory cos i was working at the time i remember him saying 'that being a jedi was fine but there is no basic large scale organisation behind it like, community programs, churches, homes, land, charity etc etc.....all these things that apparently (and i say apparently because im not religious) that normal defined religions organis daily, whether thats right or wrong im not sure either...............but you have to admit, if you want to be taken seriously in the world then you have to act seriously and with morals, as far as i can see the jedi movement doesnt achieve this, also this call to arms for entheo enthusiasts to unite via a psuedo religion and use shaman as a religion doesnt really have any backup either, the most i have every been heard organised to define shamans as a modern day religion is ayahuasca ceremonial church and the ega, without sounding presumtious..........whats the real core reason stopping it from being real- a lack of funding, a lack of reality, a lack of people a lack of substance, a lack of a real plan.

whatever you say about christians or catholics or muslims the thing they have going for them is planning, jedi's whatever...just write down a bullshit response once every 5 years and think they are smart- they are not.

its an optional question, just leave it blank and why waste the effort and dorkyness of putting jedi, anybody can do anything anytime they like........its a free world, nobody is stopping you from going to a cul de sac in your car right now and doing some reverse doughnuts-but whats the point??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iL3ISxSrFM&feature=related

To Santiago,

The people who write things like Jedi don't think they are clever. They are having fun, remember fun? This world has become so bereft of fun & enjoyment. It gives people something to giggle about for a change, what's the real harm? Whatever the people with alternative views put forward on census night they all know they are still the minority.

The false promise of increased funding is a total farce (governments already know where they want to spend their money). I manage a homeless shelter & have done so for a long time. Homelessness has been steadily increasing every year & we record all of the statistics & they are all fed back to the appropriate departments.Despite this we have not had a funding raise in 12 years. Sometimes Information gathering is just information gathering.

Frank, you don't have to agree with everything that the AFA says to understand the point they're trying to make. If you're not actually religious, putting is a bullshit religion is working against yourself by channelling government money into funding religion. If you don't actively follow a religion, but still consider yourself religious, you should ask yourself whether you actually want government money funnelled into religion or into a more worthy cause. If the latter, then even if you are religious, putting down 'no religion' will better serve you.