The Corroboree
dworx

Whats in a name?

Just something of a curiosity for me and possibly others here, What made you chose your username? and what does it mean?, and mean to you?

Edited by dworx

I believe Tripitaka said something to me like "When are you going to come out of your rabbithole and join the Corroboree!?" or something like that lol :lol: So Alice in Wonderland seemed like an appropriate choice. That's all really.

And Dworx?

heehee>>

just what it says. i love people and life ......just what it says. Bit boring eh?

Personally, the obscure names can sometimes makeme think too long n hard.....even in bed......

I use this name in alot of places accross the net. It came from a role playing game back in the 90's that had a very naming proccess, i started with a sentence and deleted letters until it accepted it. Means nothing, but ive never had a problem registering accounts with the same name ;)

niggle [ˈnɪgəl]

vb

1. (intr) to find fault continually

2. (intr) to be preoccupied with details; fuss

3. (tr) to irritate; worry

n

1. a slight or trivial objection or complaint

2. a slight feeling as of misgiving, uncertainty, etc.

I think some of my best work comes from the niggling in my head.

Edited by niggles
  • Like 1

Quarterflesh is my old band's name, it has sentimental value so i use it everywhere :wink:

The Aussie hip-hop track by Funkola, whats in a name answers the question perfectly i thought. Worth a listen anywho. This might work

Go On Then comes from drinking with my mates years ago.

Do you want another drink? Go on then just one more.

Cheers

Got

.snd.w? bat-ch nt.

Mine's a long dead French writer, who I adore. He's also my avatar.

my nickname has always been hillbilly, the rest of it was because i was drunk and i'm an egotistical weirdo

• Like 2

I don't like blunts, I don't really like muffins, and I wouldn't really say I'm that blunt. :P

It was actually a corruption of 'bludmuffin' - which means nothing.

I keep it anyway, because I like how it has certain connotations, which hopefully people will realize aren't accurate once they know me a bit better, and then maybe think 'Oh, I thought I had that guy all figured out'. Hehe.

It's funny you made made this thread, dworx, as I had been planning on making one with the same idea for around the past week.

Mine came about when I was signing up for the Shroomery a few years back. I couldn't think of anything and the word "tripsis" popped into my head. It was the name of most recent Alchemist album, an Australian metal band I used to listen to a fair bit (still like them, but don't really listen to much metal). I only listened to that album for the first time about a week ago!

my nickname has always been hillbilly, the rest of it was because i was drunk and i'm an egotistical weirdo

:lol:

Mine's a long dead French writer, who I adore. He's also my avatar.

I got a shock when I saw a book by him in a second hand store with a pic very similar to your avatar..

I was reading about pet centipedes I believe, giant ones.

i dunno lol. i pondered a lot to arrive at this name and have pondered it a lot since, to me it's fairly liquid, all i can say for certain is that "thunder ideal" is meant to just as easily be read as "thunder i deal"

• Like 1

slackness, i've been meaning to change it but now use it too often and is easier now to remember, i even put on my pizza online order gogogadget :)

i dunno lol. i pondered a lot to arrive at this name and have pondered it a lot since, to me it's fairly liquid, all i can say for certain is that "thunder ideal" is meant to just as easily be read as "thunder i deal"

your name always reminds me of "The Thunder, Perfect Mind" poem: (wikipedia)

maybe everyone knows but see here, and the question "what does red feel like" makes me giggle a bit.

edit: close parenthesis.

Edited by qualia

Great thread topic dworx. I often wonder about peoples user names, what they mean and how they are pronounced. There are the obvious ones and then there are some that are quite cryptic. Mine is an obvious one.

. I see myself inhabiting in the Amazon Jungle, living off, and wearing what ever nature provides.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I am Amazonian ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gee, i really got into character there didn't i.....^ ^ ^ :blush:

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 1

This is an awesome thread, I've often thought about people's names on here.

I think there are many creative people here, different names may lead others into a new avenue of research for example.

I read a book after seeing Teo's name and several mycology terms have come up during reading episodes i.e. hyphal knot.

So thanks to everyone for making me think :).

Oh, and Sola is from Solanaceae. A very interesting group of plants and it has the double entendre? (spelling) of the sun connotation.

Without which I wouldn't be here. This is not an admission of delusions of grandeur however, I also chose it because no one else had :P

The same question was asked a while ago - it was a most interesting thread indeed.- I will try and find it.

great mind think alike!

my first username was "twix elbert" ... it was a retarded fictional persona that a friend and i had come up with when we were ~17 ... it was an in-joke, and a not particularly funny one at that. i changed my username to faustus around 2006-07 i think?

the name faustus originates from the germen legend of faust/faustus, a classic tale of a scholar who makes a pact with the devil and trades his soul in exchange for true knowledge and worldly pleasures.

the notion of a scholar who has immersed himself entirely in his intellect but remains no closer to uncovering any deeper understanding of himself or existence is something that resonates with me. this has been the overarching theme of my life since age 5 and i expect this will be my struggle until the day that i die.

i think that some people on these forums consume psychedelics in the belief that their doing so is in order to understand the nature of reality. in some cases, i believe that they're cleverly deceiving themselves, and are using these drugs to escape their reality instead of undestanding it. i say this only to make a point about myself: at times, MANY times, i convince myself that all my intellectual pursuits reflect my desire to gain a deeper understanding of the nature of reality, to understand this amazingly beautiful universe around us -- a noble pursuit, right?

on the surface of it all, one would think so, but from time to time i have this inkling that all i'm doing is escaping reality while cleverly convincing myself of the very opposite - i'm simply trying to understand reality. so the passage from goethe's faust in my sig is a reminder to me of this. when i get the money, i intend to have it tattooed on my chest, in mirror form (a la memento, one of my fave films). each day, when i wake up, it'll remind me to quit pondering the meaning of life and to quit indulging my intellect. by shedding all this intellectual shit that endlessly swirls around in my mind and just immersing myself in the true human experience - rootin bitchez and glassing cunts -- it's only then when i'll get closer to understanding the meaning of life.

• Like 1

Wow what a response, I wasn't sure anyone would answer, I think it adds abit of your own personality to your names, a little insight for all to see which is really good when we haven't met in person.

I believe Tripitaka said something to me like "When are you going to come out of your rabbithole and join the Corroboree!?" or something like that lol :lol: So Alice in Wonderland seemed like an appropriate choice. That's all really.

And Dworx?

My username is short for Devilworx, my mum used to be 'Godly' and everything I did was not 'Godly' then wehn I did my trade there was a little Christian dude there always preaching [really preaching] and I would quiz him, usually on his bible studies and he never had any answers, so he would just come back with you're evil, he was a really nice guy who had a rare disease - which - made him age prematurely, he is probably dead now, I don't know we lost touch, he was doing sparky trade and I was F/M trade. So yeah my beliefs don't fit the christian belief and have been seen to be evil and ungodly' or works of the devil Devilworx, u get the picture.

he was a really nice guy who had a rare disease - which - made him age prematurely, he is probably dead now, I don't know we lost touch, he was doing sparky trade and I was F/M trade.

His name was Phil?

asdasd

Edited by Teljkon

Mine's a given... I love Ween and I'd already used The Mollusk as a name elsewhere I didn't want associated with this site, so I chose from another Ween song. An uplifting, jovial song, plus never wear pants other than blue jeans :lol: Of course like I always do with choosing usernames; I thought of heaps better ones right after signing up and it's too late.

Edited by FancyPants