The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Fenris

Pinchbeck on JJJ

Sunday night 09 November 2008 John Safran is talking to Daniel Pinchbeck.

Thats all I know so far, regardless it should be a good listen.

Thankyou for the heads up Fenris B)

I know a few overseas friends that will be very interested in tuning into the streaming webcast on sunday night!

For those of you that would like to tune in also the link is http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/safran/

Past episodes can be found here as well!

Edited by DreamingNagual

cool, thanks

should be interesting, heard safran doing a promo this arvo and he was very much "some pinchbeck guy, 2012 conspiracy theorist e.t.c"

ever since the safran v's god doco ive been lamenting seducing safran to some exotic international location to give him a proper dose of medicine... :wink:

Should be a good listen, has anyone else noticed the uncanny similarity between safran and julian's voice and mannerisms?

Pity they're paying such an interesting guest to talk to such a irreverent and unimaginative idiot. Then again pinchbeck's approach was fairly haphazard anyway, to a certain extent. Thanks for the heads up.

heard a fellow twice on abc radio talking about his book called something like 'my death in columbia'.

first part he seeks out cocaine users,producers and trafficers in columbia.

second part he goes looking for 'the strongest drug in the world'.......ayahausca.

finds shaman, downs dose and apparently runs off with a head full of 'i'm dying'freakout.

such typical rubbish reinforces my dislike of the journalist syndrome.....i'm a journalist i'm going to do such and such so i've got something i can write about.......often totally missing the point.

whitelock woman on adelaide abc radio,very straight,said almost nothing ,stunned as this stuff went to air on her show!

initially i thought pinchbeck was like this but i did browse and prob enjoy most of his first book with my opinion that he had a mix of a different entry to entheogens than mine mixed with journalist syndrome.

t s t .

Hehe, tst you really hate this journalist syndrome eh? I think I heard an interview with the fella you mention and can't remember being as repulsed. It was actually on JJJ with saffran tho. Called it a death trip and maybe wasn't advertising it exactly, more displaying shock that rich yuppies want to experience this, after the trauma he had. Perhaps the bliss / torment outcome of ego death depends on ones attatchment to their ego. I recall times of pure bliss with others feeling the same, ecstacy by definition. The overwhelming anxiety and unpleasantness was the very catalyst for bliss, faced with the reality I made a choice to drop it all, and it was a welcome change.

Kinda double post, from other thread:

I like Daniel Pinchbenk, He spouts some far out claims but has the word power and articulation to prove he is knowledgeable enough in the methods of logic and reason that his perception can transcend said limitations and appreciate the awe of the mystical world. A happy marriage of Science and Mysticism, At the same time he was never fanatical about what he always mentioned to be just ideas.

John Saffran, funny as he is with his ability to always highlight hipocrisy, irony or just the dumber side of anything, had trouble shutting down this crazy derranged hippy lunatic, cuz.. maybe, just maybe, he was onto something.

only caught the tail end. There's some interesting interviews, about shamanism on that show sometimes. Remember hearing about .. a South American country where Jage is this big elite yuppy thing. Where these big wigs were happy to go through a death trip and then move back onto their meaningless materialist lives. mmm tangent. Point is he interviews some heady people but always seems one step detatched, where father bob, a presumably conservative catholic priest, seems more accepting of spiritual claims, than Saffran, always on the cynical side.. he IS funny tho, with his angry rants.

Is Pinchbeck's first book called Breaking Open the Head? That is the only one of his I have read, so I was pretty surprised when I heard about his 2012 stuff, as he seems to have lost the remaining vestiges of his supposedly skeptical journalist's approach, kind of made me wonder if he is just riding the thing for publicity. Although, I do seem to remember by the end of that first book he was basically saying he believed actual evil spirits were tormenting him.

What is the 2012 book like, from anyone who has read it?

*edit* Here's a link to the MP3:

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/triplej/safran..._2008_11_09.mp3

*edit* Haha that old guy is cracking me up!

Edited by Sublime Crime

Should be a good listen, has anyone else noticed the uncanny similarity between safran and julian's voice and mannerisms?

Both Jews & raised as such.

I was pretty surprised when I heard about his 2012 stuff, as he seems to have lost the remaining vestiges of his supposedly skeptical journalist's approach, kind of made me wonder if he is just riding the thing for publicity

Not so surprising, the God complex is one of psychedelia's more common pitfalls afterall. :P

Edited by strangebrew

Pinchbeck is off his fucking rocker... his book are alright tho.

Pinchbeck has issues and used psychedlics to come to terms with some of them which is great, but then he seems to get himself caught up again in that world he laments so much. Never met the guy, but have read a lot of his stuff. Pinchbeck was one of the people that travelled to Gabon with my friend Dan Lieberman which produced one of the more entertaining iboga stories on the web.

http://www.salon.com/travel/feature/1999/1...boga/index.html

Pinchbeck encountered iboga a year or two after me and has written and spoken a lot about it which has been very important to the international exposure of this amazing plant. I've been intrigued to follow the long term personal and professional development of various non-opiate-addicts [incl Pinchbeck] from their iboga experience onwards. I'll actually be touching on a lot of this in my iboga presentation at EGA.

Pinchbeck is off his fucking rocker... his book are alright tho.

Wow...he sure did! (yes Iam agreeing with Teotz)

i felt he was certainly portrayed much the same as an other end of days fanatic..

I like Pinchbeck's writing

he's obviously nuts

but he knows it and admits it and has the guts to ask weird questions that the mainstream would never consider. And he retains enough vestige of rational intellect to make sense.

As for Saffran, I find some of his TV stuff funny, but I was disappointed by this radio show. It was shallow and facetious.

Well I have only read Breaking Open The Head, but I thought Daniel came across as fairly rational and sensible in the JJJ interview... I assumed from his 2012 theories he had kind of lost it, but he didn't sound like he was taking it all that seriously, more using it as a model.

Could be wrong obviously, because I haven't read his 2012 stuff, but anyway, I think that may be why Jonathon came across as a bit of a knob, because he seemed to be expecting a sandwich board wearing nutbag, and asking questions accordingly, but kept getting relatively fair sounding responses.

maybe it's just me...but i found the ideas in both pinchbecks books to be pretty believable and plausible. i guess it helps if you've personally experienced/seen a lot of the phenomena he describes...at least he is out there promoting these ideas...not many people are writing books on such matters and since terence mckenna died we need more people to step up and articulate what is happening...he might seem off his rocker but thats only in comparison to your average person. most psychonauts will at least empathise with some of the stuff he reports. i guess there is danger in going too far out with your ideas too quickly. people who may be interested get turned off as soon as elves or magical lands are mentioned....little do they know....

that's painful to read - which is why I gave up. the guy needs some medication.....

shouldn't a paradigm be somewhere between 6 and 9 cents?

that's painful to read - which is why I gave up. the guy needs some medication.....

No way! It's a great read! And says she's a middle aged mother..

Sure Pinchbeck has some great stuff to preach, but what a cold antidote:

"We say we don't want our Beast to win but REALITY CHECK - it's winning. It's winning in you, Daniel, with your bullshit loft partie$, $eminars, celeb courting, self-lauding, media whoring, eliteist behavior, promiscuity, fame/money driven views, exploitation$ of '2012' based on the few Mayan codices that survived... ignoring their possible invalidation by the many that did not."

Eagerly awaiting part 2..