The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

Grafting Comp- Oct 2007

Made my first 2 grafts last night my first grafts ever, I'm not that confident but hey its practice, I'll post pics when their out of humidity just ghetto plastic bags & wire to keep them off the graft.

I've had about 1/3 germ rate so not that good but it's all good practice hey.

i did 3 grafts earlir this week.... have a couple more to do, but waiting for some peres to grow.... funny, looks like the 1st time that I will get 100% take on grafts :)

Hi everyone,

I wanted to be a part of the comp but I’m still waiting on the seeds to arrive… anyway, that’s another story.

But instead I thought I could make a trophy for the comp. the following pics are from the test pieces. The real ones will be made over the next few months before the comp finishes.

1: I contacted Teo who got a grafted plant in mail ASAP.

The following lovely plant arrived - I could have just abandoned the idea of a trophy at this stage and kept the plant but he chucked in a 2nd plant for me to keep so I continued. :wink:

post-903-1193741065_thumb.jpg

2: the Loph is painted in a two part silicone rubber to create the following rubber mold. – The loph was cut out of the rubber leaving it in a pretty bad way. (I think it will survive) a mold was made of the peres stock.

post-903-1193741127_thumb.jpg

3: ‘Victory brown’ wax is poured into the silicone mold to make a wax

post-903-1193741189_thumb.jpg

4: the wax is worked by hand and details are hidden, made, changed... or whatever.

5: The wax is invested in a series of plaster molds

6: the Wax is burnt out of the plaster in a kiln at 600 degrees C for 72 hours.

post-903-1193741232_thumb.jpg

7: a furnace is setup to heat/melt bronze to approximately 1200 degrees C

post-903-1193741275_thumb.jpg

post-903-1193741301_thumb.jpg

8: the crucible is carefully carried into place

post-903-1193741327_thumb.jpg

9: the molten bronze if poured into the plaster mold!

post-903-1193741357_thumb.jpg

This is where I left it today- tomorrow I will chip away the plaster and have some bronze cast Lophs and a peres stock.

When I see how these turn out I will remake a series of waxes and do the final ones for the trophy and some smaller 2nd and 3rd prize.

the final trophy will be a limited edition/ and editioned bronze cast with a black/brown patena burnished and 'grafted' onto a Peres stock on a wooden base with your name engraved on a plate. :lol: Someone has also offered to make the base so thanks to them :)

and thanks to Teo for the original plant donation on which the bronze is cast. there will be 2nd and 3rd places but we are still working on these. :)

cheers

WT

Edited by watertrade
  • Like 1

I just noticed there are only two categories to the comp:

1) First Lophophora sp to flower

2) Largest Lophophora sp by the end date

we will have to work something out with the prizes

wow thats amazing watertrade!!

By the way, has anyone heard from SirLSD? I've been trying to PM him for weeks with no response.

Edited by SaBReT00tH

Thats perdy dang spectacular WT!! :drool2:

You got some skills boy :)

Definately in the comp next time, the move and loss of my peres stock more or less buggered me this year.

Next time though, nuttin's gettin in the way. I want me a WT bronze original :lol:

All hail WT :worship:

Thats awesome man!

Holy crap, I want a foundry now :lol:

Man that is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Cool!!!!!

I had best of intentions of entering this year, had much home grown seed but then I did something so tasmanian (another new germination technique involving heat above 200 C)

Poor Me :blush:

Maybe you could award one of those beauties for the biggest idiot or failure of the comp, I Know there would be at least two of us in the running for that one now :lol:

2 more grafted which look like they r taking.... woot!!

Edited by XipeTotec

Ok these are three of them which I will clean up tonight - these were tests to see three different finishes. The Peres is pretty dodgy but should be ok post clean up - I had to make these the night before and rushed to get them finished.

:)

post-903-1193789976_thumb.jpg

Edited by watertrade

Man thats groovy!

Great to see people so enthusiastic!

I think this thing is realy going to take off Teo ;), cheers for everyones efforts!

Loph cup...Peyote Proliferation Project WOOT!

Man the prizes in this round are so damn awesome, first the peyote nickels and now bronze trophies that could do some serious damage to hungry caterpillars. Good job people :drool2:

I grafted 11 seedlings lastnight to 7 of my peres, I'm hoping I'll end up with a nice loph tree if they all take. I'm thinking I might make a humidity chamber for what I have on my window so I can grow a couple in sunlight to compare, although the one on my window I did about 2.5 months ago really hasn't done much it just fattened up then stopped growing..... It's all experience though B)

Well I'll be buggered - WT, you are one crafty bastard!! Absolutely fantastic work mate! :lol: Looks like I have missed the boat for this comp, so good luck to all the competitors :) The winners will be stoked with the prizes, no doubt. Fingers crossed I'll be a little more organised for next comp, but several side projects are rapidly phasing out my entheo-interests... :( But I'll always be a cacti enthusiast at heart! After all, it is what landed me amongst you lot of crazy buggers :P

Wow WT that is truly awesome, you have made an already great comp even better.. cheers.

My first update..

post-2965-1193895766_thumb.jpg

This sucker was sown on the 01/10/07 and grafted on the 18/10/07, the picture is from today..

Good luck all ;)

I'm waiting for my peres to boost or i may have only a single graft or two, I really don't know if I'll make this unless I crank some onto trichs as grafting stock, but then i don't want to mutilate the beaties...

For the v-method of grafting onto peres, seedlings should only be a few weeks old yeah? So i figure I must wait a bit for the peres to up its numbers and then time when i plant seedlings, thats the whole point - I don't even have that done yet, I think I'll have to miss this competition.. as in I'm pretty sure I HAVE missed it, when was the last date to plant loph seeds?

Bummer, that bronze statue looks so cool... imagine that, sitting there, with my name on it. Would be one of the strangest statues to have displayed, people would have no idea, and then you could tell your whole story about how you're the bestest loph grafter and won this competition all the while multiplying lophs like crazy - for the greater good... Really though it's all about ego, I want that trophy!!!!

For the v-method of grafting onto peres, seedlings should only be a few weeks old yeah? So i figure I must wait a bit for the peres to up its numbers and then time when i plant seedlings, thats the whole point - I don't even have that done yet, I think I'll have to miss this competition.. as in I'm pretty sure I HAVE missed it, when was the last date to plant loph seeds?

not sure if there was a cut off date for planting. Im not sure what u r trying to say in this post. firstly, I would use a flat graft for seedlings (not that im an expert), second, if u r worried about your amount of peres(i think thats what u r saying) dont, cut the tops off, and graft, then, plant the tops, to root and form new plants. third, if u r worried about not having enough grafts to enter comp.... i wouldnt, it only takes one to win :) I myself only have about 5 in comp at the moment.

Fuck yeah this is truly a great prize.I`ve grafted the first seedling on top of my peres tower about 3days ago and I hope it will take on,if it doesnt I will graft others I have in reserve that were all sawed in parameters of the contest.I see that almost everybody will participate with more than one graft but Im putting all my hopes on one huge stock and if all goes well I`ll be the winner buahahahaha:)

I`ll borrow a camera when my graft takes so I can post some pics.

Good luck to all!!!

DANG!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a sweet prize.

i mean DANG coz if i was ack in Australia, paying a fuck load of tax, i'd be in the comp, and some of the veterans here know how much i dig grafting.

but i gave my lovely plants to some members of the community to take care of until i get home....... :(

oh well maybe in the next few years,.

Any chance of purchaing a smaller bronze loph WT?

smaller coz i the winner earns it, i'd love to have one for keeps......

where the hell do u get 3800 loph seeds?