The Corroboree
planthelper

i think i discovered something

in my favorite forest this certain tree allways called out to me, now after years of doing nothing with this plant calling me i finally did it.

an A/B was performed with phyllodes of this tree and it yielded clear but not x-talized material!

i haven't bioessayed yet and are waiting for the 2nd pull...

to get clear material for phllodes surprised me.

anyhow i don't know the name of the tree so what could i do to get it indentified?

i got still some dried twigs left.

for obvious reasons i will not describe the tree or it's favorite where about's...

but to julien i say it's the one i pointed out to you years ago, remeber?

this tree is quite rare compared to other magic trees, so it's id would be better off to be kept a secret.

aswell as it has some quite unique and obvious features which would make false iding allmost impossible, for this reason uppermost i would like to keep it a secret aswell, hope you understand.

apart from that it's early times on this project so i will not get to overexcited, lol!

:P :D :) :cool: :rolleyes:

but my feelings are that this species has not yet been investigated and that the alkaloids look promising.

i am happy, after all this is what i learned all this for, to aid sience in a serious manor!

please let me know what i should do.

...often the organic stayed empty after evaporation, but not this time, hurray...

:)

planthelper, you should probably take a cutting, so just in case if anything happens you can continue to grow the plant. Like you said, pretty rare :)

dear readers!

the tree has been indentified and now that i researched the web about it even for a very short time my initial feelings have been unfortunately substantiated, it's a endangered species, proly because of it's use as timber and because it grows in areas that have been clear felled in the old days...

i had to delete the info about this tree as i was told that feeding the text to the search engine revealed the page i got it from and the id, which i think should not be revealed.

[ 04. July 2005, 08:25: Message edited by: planthelper ]

hmmm, there is one company selling those seeds on the web, so i might try to grow some and re sell the rest to you.

the advantage of this one over other acacias seem to be that it can take a lot of water and that it grows into a huge tree. the timber must have been awesome and i found on internetsite selling this acacias funeer like a treasure, so it would be worth to help this tree.

if you have any questions regarding this discovery or if you want to help re instating this tree, please pm me!

aswell could you please inform me about list's of active acacias so i can find out if it has been listed allready?

[ 04. July 2005, 07:14: Message edited by: planthelper ]

I know this species p/helper

i assisted a fellow researcher in collection efforts of herbarium and analytical materials.

im not aware what the results were yet

it certainly is a wierd looking acacia! not looking like an acacia at all

ive been back several times but never seen seed on it. We may be talking about the same population but next time i c u we shoudl exchange locale info

Its very atractive and should be grown more widely

wandjina could do with a few in its rainforest regen efforts

what a shame the timber getters would have wasted all the bark, lol.

and imagen how much bark a 40m acacia would have produced, hehe.

the recent rain would have brought on seeds anyway.

hmm, i invite other people aswell, pm me if interessted, but be prepared to be blindfolded (as a safty measure) at some stages of the journey.

[ 04. July 2005, 08:17: Message edited by: planthelper ]

Edited by planthelper

If this is what I think it is - a very large Vulnerable species of wattle from the Northern Rivers/SEQ -then I have a large number growing - they are very slow (even on the best of sites) and seed must be fresh to germinate...

it's phyllodes look very ......

Edited by planthelper

many thanks for the clue :worship: - tis exactly the one I was thinking of....

hmmm, there is one company selling those seeds on the web, so i might try to grow some and re sell the rest to you.

ph, did anything happen with that?

i never did followe up this idea, however other people probagated and planted quite a few of them. chances are that a bit more work will be put towards this species by others...

even though it is a rare species, it is quite common on our property, so we will make an effort to make seed more widely available.

Even with that clue I couldnt figure out the name of it so I can't put my hand in in helping. I didn't try too hard at guessing tho: matches, gum, pennies?

we have planted out hundreds of plants of this species in the last few years, so there is certainly no shortage of propagation material. However, to prevent wild harvesting I think it is best if we follow planthelper's lead in keeping it hush hush for the time being.

once we have a good seed harvest I will make sure planthelper gets a whole lot of it and we'll probably start selling it too.

we have planted out hundreds of plants of this species in the last few years, so there is certainly no shortage of propagation material. However, to prevent wild harvesting I think it is best if we follow planthelper's lead in keeping it hush hush for the time being.

once we have a good seed harvest I will make sure planthelper gets a whole lot of it and we'll probably start selling it too.

Good plan :wink: I found it amusing seeing a plant being talked about in secret, I've never seen that before on these forums.

it has happened a few times when the species is rare or threatened. as you can see by the continual damage done to the buffalo wattle it is not safe to spread that information to everyone. However, once seed and plants are available most folks prefer to grow their own rather than trash the bush.

i think that this forum RULES ! :wink:

Please keep the secret !

well.. it is a rare specie that its better to keep it secret but

is it frost hardy?

and how easy is it to grow?.

i would think it can handle at least light frosts.

well.. it is a rare specie that its better to keep it secret but

is it frost hardy?

and how easy is it to grow?.

frost hardiness confirmed.... tolerant of minor and infrequent frosts...

I havern't really got room for a myriad of 40ft trees but I'd be happy to raise a few seedlings for those that can.

Google whispered me the name :)

So does this tree have interesting properties other than being rare and good lookin?

So does this tree have interesting properties other than being rare and good lookin?

well, according to my first post:

an A/B was performed with phyllodes of this tree and it yielded clear but not x-talized material!

so it has the properties of containing an alkaloid, anyway, i thought i bump this thread to hear if anybody managed to get some trees growing or others in the meantime can confirm my results.

and even if said before, this accacia produces timber of the highest beauty and quality, and constitutes a pioneer tree, so it would be very usefull in reforestation projects!

Got 20 seeds germinating and most have thrown the first shoot in 10 days after stratification.

have hundreds more so should be interesting getting this up and regenerated.

H.

bump, i hope this acacia, has stayed undeneath the radar of the stupid authoreties.

i hope many trees have been planted in the meantime.

if anybody has news about this than, post about it.

• Like 1