The Corroboree
Idon'tstudydinosaurs

Anyone studying AND working full-time?

I can't say I know anyone who works and studies full time. I've done a couple of weeks here and there where I've worked 38 hour weeks + uni and I definitely wouldn't recommend it. My studies were most definitely effected and now I refuse to do more than 16 hours a week which gives me more than enough income and doesn't completely abolish my studies.

Yeah until recently , two nights a week 5 till 9 license level gasfitting cert 5 only did two weeks , too much , I opted out. After doing a ten hour day it completely went in one ear and out the other, ill need to make some work/ lifestyle changes before studying again, or just do one night a week.

I'm actually quit work on the same week, but reneg now , they need me back.

The only reason I tempted cert 5 courses at this stage cos I won the enrolments during my apprenticeship,

No biggie , ill do them at more convenient time.

I do

Its fucked. But if you really want it you do what it takes.

I'm chefing so my hours work. But I'm running the place too lol.

don't do it, its not right. study somehow gets less recognition than working which is bullshit, its heaps harder! and doing both is near impossible to do to your potential, unless you thrive on that type of pressure. some people eat it up, im jealous!

• Like 2

put your study first, you can always work less for more in the future after you finish your study,

ive made the mistake a couple of times, always should put study before work, if you can survive.

only work enough to make ends meet plus maintenance so that you learn as much as possible and get your money's worth from your course. imo.

Ditto what they said. Tried it and failed myself. Part time work and full time study was the only way that worked for me in the end. Best of luck with it :-)

Yeah interesting. I am conflicted because my one passion in life was to get a degree, but I am now in a position where my income is too good to give up. I was planning on studying and doing assignments when I am off (I get a week off at a time).

This is something I am truly passionate about. I just hope I can make it work.

That's a tough decision, good luck :)

Edited by Halcyon Daze

Have you considered part time, a subject a semester.

I know money is a big thing. but passion is always important. if your really passionate and make it work for you then better things follow, no!

have you heard that awesome allan watts youtube vid where he talks about doing what you love.

Edit:

Years ago when i decided to return to study, i closed down my business, the money was good, but i ended being really depressed and unhappy. going back to study was the best thing i could have done, even though i was freaking poor, i was ok about it.

Back to your original point, yes i know some-one who does, she is insanely passionate. but she always seem to freaking out about deadlines etc.

I think if your gonna do a degree you need to make it worth it for you and enjoy it

Edited by obtuse
  • Like 1

i think it depends on what you are studying.

some subjects at uni are soooo god dammed much work that it would literally be impossible to do a proper job of the course work and actually work 38 hours a week on top of it all. That's definitely true for a science degree involving a lot of chem and maths.

it's not hard to find yourself in a position where you simply run out of hours in the day, even if all you do is study and work.

I worked nights part time through all my first degree and i was always worried about running out of time with course work. I actually still have dreams about it and wake up in a panic thinking i have an assignment due that i'd forgotten about.

but having said all that i'd probably advise you to go for it. Even if you fuck up first semester and realise you simply must drop a couple of units, it will be worth it. Heck, even if you realise uni is a crock off shit and drop out after a month it'l be worth it...just don't lose your job over it.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your words of wisdom. I may as well just go for it and if it doesn't work then, hey, I gave it a shot. When the time is right the time is right.

• Like 1

As others have suggested I wouldn't recommend it. Start with one or two units and see how you go. You'll probably find that doing 2 units and working full time is full on.

• Like 1

What are you planning to study and where?

The good thing about your situation is having a week off at a time. This can be beneficial because you have a lot of uninterrupted time to dedicate to assignments and reading rather than working all day and then being tired and having to study.

You can also ask your university for advice. Unis normally have lots of support services etc and the lecturers and heads of department can also give you good advice on your situation. Don't be afraid to take advantage of this. They are there to help you.

just know that, because you work long hours eow, you'll be basically doing 2 weeks uni in 1 week you have... are you prepared to do that? it sounds like you are, so go for it!

I've done it in the past. It's a pretty hectic schedule, and I don't really think very sustainable for more than a year or so at best. I definitely did not enjoy either work or school when I was doing it. Online and weekend coursework make it much more doable, but don't expect to have any free time if you are trying to get good grades.

Why not study full time and work part time to suppliment your income?

If you're paying good money for your education you want to be able to give it your best effort. Otherwise you could just find yourself pushing shit uphill with no time to just be you, wondering why you had to take on so much.

I would consider this very carefully, ESPECIALLY if you are currently living a relatively cruisy life (not studying/not working/not working much).

If thats the case I can understand your enthusiasm, i've been there, perhaps you recently realised you arent living up to your full potential and are now rearing to go, but honestly dude the change will be enormous even taking one new step, so tread carefully and ENJOY it.

A little stress is probably healthy but we all know ALOT of stress isnt!

• Like 3