The Corroboree
Torsten

The federal model schedules are coming

Interesting.. Curious to know what neighbourhood that is :/

I have plants in my yard that could help these misguided souls, I'm not judgmental, we all chose our own path and they've decided to go down their own chosen path. I really have to hold myself back in regards to enlightening some of them and maybe help them kick their habits and become productive citizens through the use of some of these plants but if I told just one, word would get out in days and my yard would be stripped bare by junkies looking for fix. So for the most part I keep to myself.

3rdpxr.jpg

My eanest belief is that substances of abuse (not the plants we collect) are in many ways a symptom of malnutrition, their bodies are starving and they can't join the dots and feed themselves adequate nutrition so they satisfy the cravings with drugs which takes food off the table and completes the cycle, leaving them in a constant state of need which is always suppressed with more drugs.

I think the hunger they are attempting to sate is a psychological and emotional emptiness.

• Like 1

I think the hunger they are attempting to sate is a psychological and emotional emptiness.

Yeah for sure chilli, substance abuse is often a symptom of psychological and emotional distress.

I have a book on vitamins and minerals titled "Your Health Vitamins & Minerals" that quotes cases of drug abusers being successfully treated with multi vitamins so there is another aspect to it as well.

It's like a form of pica in some respects where the sufferer subconsciously knows they need need something and start eating dirt or ice.

When they get on the ice (amphetamine that is) around here they will often go fro three or four days without food and then when they do eat they will go to the servo and buy a packet of chips, some chocholate and a bottle of coke. Then they get back on the ice or smack and do it all again.

Hi there, interesting to read other people's take on this new legislation.

I wrote about it on Friday here: http://monicabarratt.net/?p=385

Interested in your comments...

I just read that Monica, it was good to see the wording of the new legislation, that's the first time I've seen it.

It seems like a fascist agenda starting to unfold.

When I read this

(iv) the substance or plant may pose a substantial risk to the health or safety of the public.

I couldn't help thinking about alcohol and tobacco.

Good work Monica

Edited by SallyD
  • Like 2

When they get on the ice (amphetamine that is) around here they will often go fro three or four days without food and then when they do eat they will go to the servo and buy a packet of chips, some chocholate and a bottle of coke. Then they get back on the ice or smack and do it all again.

but isn't that because amphetamines are excellent appetite suppresants?

I don't think anyone can answer this yet in the definitive but anyhow.

How will this fucked up state of affairs affect, say someone, who - just for arguments sake had a couple of hundred cacti seedlings, a bunch of ephedra plants, a few khat plants & a few psychotrias growing amongst the caapi & Hbwr?Oh & the accacias....What about the tea & coffee plants? & other obscure things?

(Not that I do....!)

How long a jail sentance is that? Can I keep them & not sell them? If so going to have to buy more land & set up a herborium or a botanical garden. Who's keen? & how hard would that be?

Leads me to my next question

When would be a good time for a 'fire' sale???

& is there a date for implementation?

Or could they sell less or own less than 10 of these plants at a time, which is from my limited understanding?

Interested in people's thoughts!

Not getting rid of my plant collection.

Can I register somewhere & some how as a plant collector on the grounds of medicinal collections / preservation??

Edited to include the hundreds of acacias in back yard!

Edited by altenate

ahh SallyD,

so so true, what you have said. im sure we will all see our world further go to shit because of this "typical australian action". more and more each day i think more seriously about moving to another country. one that doesn't have it's head so far stuck up it's arse. living in QLD is like living in a toilet... every day some dumb f*uck just add's more shit.

• Like 2

Not getting rid of my plant collection.

Can I register somewhere & some how as a plant collector on the grounds of medicinal collections / preservation??

I was thinking the same thing today. I have spent my whole life trying to do the right thing, trying not to harm others and to keep on the right side of the law. Then in one, foul fascist swoop my collection of plants, some of which are already irreplaceable, others rare and endangered, will be made illegal. I am suddenly a criminal.

Yet, I do not think I can give away my plants. I spoke to someone today who said they had already given so many away, but I can't do this. I have cared for them, nurtured them, chased them down from myriad places, and the journey has been wonderful. I will not be able to let my babies go, I am a criminal, so what can I do?

This government has treated me cruelly, it does not deserve it's existence. I have been considering creating a group, Australian Association of Ethnobotany, which could become a political lobbying group of like-minded people who care for plants and medicines, and will be stronger as a group than individuals. PM me if you are interested

• Like 12

The dangerous folly of Canberra's 40-year failed war on drugs took a sinister turn last week with the passing by the Senate of the Crimes Legislation (Serious Drugs, Identity Crime and Other Measures) Bill.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4391146.html

• Like 2

Lets all go to Bolivia B) And whitewind, interesting suggestion - Id be part of that. Im a botany/science student and my goal in life is to investigate plants for new medicines and/or alternative food crops and farming practices, and all this not only affects my collection, but also possibly my future/career/hobby/passion.

I guess we just have to wait and see what actually comes of this. Its sad that itll probably take someone getting hurt to find out just what this means for us as collectors though (ie we probably wont know what kind of punishment people will face until someone gets their door kicked in and dragged through court)

• Like 4

i'll join ure cult whitewind.

the answer is yes!!!

its always yes.

Me to...whitewind for prime minister!Lets lynch gillard outta parliament with datura broomsticks and tricho clubs...i got some peruvianas that are already armoured up with medieval spines and ready for battle!

Edited by applesnail
  • Like 2

For the sake of native conservation efforts, please don't do that.

Sorry Psylo. Bad Joke I suppose :blush:. Im normally an avid fan of bio-diversity conservation, as im sure 99% of people here are.

What I meant to say was "there making so many plants illegal, that mass-broadcasting datura will at least, no longer be a threat to bio-diversity, and will probably actually be helping to overcome and supress other scheduled or declared weeds and potentially more socio-destructive ones.....like our beautiful 'national' forrests of DEADLY Acacias!

living in QLD is like living in a toilet... every day some dumb f*uck just add's more shit.

Amen!

Too many chiefs....not enough indians......(and shaman's) :)

• Like 1

Australian Ethnobotanical Society discussion thread here

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34208&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

We need to act as a coherent group rather than scattered individuals. A society would help to give more members a say too

So this amendment has already passed so will or can come into effect immediately? Is there any drafted "list" to peruse? I doubt this will change much fore the average gardener, it will just bring about the death of latin names on plants. It's already such a head fuck trying to id plants without tags at the Box stores lol.

Edited by Stillman

Nope and with the changes the lists now in the regs, they can literally change it at a moments notice. Just get the minister to sign off on it, no debate or consultation, just "my expert advisers say its a good idea" so make it so :BANGHEAD2:

• Like 3

what about all the plants on public land will the government remove them, it funny how one of our national icon's contains

so called illicit compounds

Looks like its time to find another country to live in. This one seems broken.

• Like 2

So would this be a good time to destroy all my beloved cacti and other ethno plants? It is going to break my heart to have to throw out my garden. if the government forces me to end my hobby & passion then I will have to say goodbye to Australia...

So would this be a good time to destroy all my beloved cacti and other ethno plants? It is going to break my heart to have to throw out my garden. if the government forces me to end my hobby & passion then I will have to say goodbye to Australia...

well, apparently the minister has to make a public announcement if anything is scheduled under these new laws, so i'd not do anything too hasty just yet.

besides, "it's not a pachanoi officer, it's a short spined peruvianus"

• Like 2

I would love to rent a barge and bring all of you besieged people and your hit-listed plants to somewhere safe. Unfortunately, I probably couldn't afford a ride on a barge at the moment. But nevertheless, I hope you guys find the strength to survive this absolutely unfathomably evil new law. Warm fuzzies. :)

Non-compliance will grow exponentially as people will refuse the laws imposed by a system they see as chronically corrupt. It will lose what little credibility it has left, people are dropping out of the mainstream. This Grand Illusion of the system’s importance will fall.

22509_296372743809506_487388006_n.jpg

• Like 4

I kinda wonder how healthy their testing budget is, like many collectors i have a LOT of columnar cacti, all unlabeled & very very few active.

Since i moved all the ones i know are active the last time this raised its ugly head It might be amusing to see the costings from their forensics for their efforts.

• Like 2