The Corroboree
juzzoa

The Search for the Crested Lophophora

I have been growing lots of lops from seed, and have finally produced a crested specimen. Hooray... I never thought It would ever happen... It is a L. williamsii v. mazapil (cristata), and the seeds are of european origin. It is almost a year old and is really taking the crested shape. I'm wondering if anyone has any information on crested lophs. There seems to be a lot of specimens being sold online from overseas vendors. Just exactly how rare are they?

www.cactus-art.biz/ claims that:

"The sowing of seeds collected on crested specimens give occasional raise to some crested plants, but with a very low frequency."

Does this mean that a self pollinated crested specimen will produce crested offspring at the same "low frequency" as normal loph ? How likely are they to even flower, let alone produce viable seed?

Im amazed how little info there is on this fascinating mutant.

Congratulations, that's sensational. I've not had any mutants from the seed I've put down but haven't done that many yet.

I'd love to see a pic of a crested loph tho, if you didn't mind.

I know they're rare but exactly how rare they are I couldn't say, I've never even seen a pic of one.

I've heard the same for other crested species in regard to using the pollen from crested to increase the frequency of crested/ monstrose.

I would imagine they would grow very slowly and flower less often but should set viable seed but I really am not sure.

Very interesting, I'd love to see some sort of grow log and of course when it pups I'm sure I won't be alone in wanting one :drool2:

Any questions in particular, i have a bunch. They are rare in that getting new ones from seed doesn't happen a lot, but they are not rare in that its impossible to find them in collections. Ariocarpus and some astrophytum crests are far rarer. but that is likely more due to price...

they flower, and when they do maybe not that much less frequently than regular lophs and you can often get far more flowers at once if its a big ol snake.

various "qualities" as well which are only important to freaky cactus people with no lives.

here are a couple pics.

new crest starting

lw2-1.jpg

couple big ol crests.

OLD.jpg

roots.jpg

An ants nest that formed during the night after i cut some pieces off to graft with.

antcrest1.jpg

• Like 3

wow kada, amazing specimen. Would love to see an update of the cest seedling that is grafted in the 1st pic.

What if you pollinate flowers of a crested lopho with a flower from another crested lopho, would that increase the chances of the occurence of crested seedlings?

I try to find a crested seedling amongst the seeds i sow, but still didnt get any ....... yet.

Wow that is insane! How old are those big crests?

I don't find crests very attractive, but if one was growing L. williamsi, that'd be the way to do it for yields.

:worship: Wow amazing! :worship: Thanks heaps for sharing, they look awesome.

Must be very old specimens, they look happy, you're obviously looking after them well.

Do they grow at the same rate as othe Loph's?

Thanks again for sharing mate :)

Ohh how cool, I've just noticed about 20 loph seedlings emerging for me today, fingers crossed I get a crest to!

fricci

friccicrest1002773.jpg

willie

williecrest1003893.jpg

this one started to crest, then reverted back to a normal head

furryslotlw1002732.jpg

willie

crest1010417.jpg

decipens

crestgraftflr5399a.jpg

Got fruit & seeds from the last two.....

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing zelly, they're awesome specimens :drool2:

I'd love to get some fruit/ pups/ seeds from you if you're in Australia.

Do they grow at the usual Loph rate? I wouldn't have the foggiest if they're faster or slower or about the same.

Sensational all round, there are a lot of very interesting plants out there.

zelly perfect crests man,

did you buy them or are they seed grown?

i cant even think of an adjective good enough to describe those crests zelly!

so i will just say wow. your cacti love you.

anyone know how to view the pics? image shack always gives me frogs in cubes....even if i enter the URL into the browser :(

i used to get the same problem, then i made an account there and when im logged in i can see the pictures.

Are there any people in Oz that have crested lop's? I'm very keen to get one, even if it's a small one.

very beautifull specimens ! i am drooling ! :worship:

i am also interested in purchasing any fruit,seeds or pups too.

out of interest - its not a loph but a beautifull crested trichocerous peruvianis on ebay ! what would someone pay for this - im currently the winning bidder ! any opinions ? ( sorry to get off topic )

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260808383271&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Edited by tipz

Tipz, a similar peruvianus crest went for around $300AUD on ebay.

There is a thread somewhere about it, I believe some members here went thirds on it.

Good luck :)

very beautifull specimens ! i am drooling ! :worship:

i am also interested in purchasing any fruit,seeds or pups too.

out of interest - its not a loph but a beautifull crested trichocerous peruvianis on ebay ! what would someone pay for this - im currently the winning bidder ! any opinions ? ( sorry to get off topic )

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260808383271&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

i was just gonna post this centipede, ya beat me to it.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24484&st=0&p=257740&hl=crest&fromsearch=1entry257740

but above thread aside i just purchased one for $46 including postage.

:lol: i just looked at your bid, almost the same price as mine , good luck.

Edited by Moses

I'm really sorry tipz, I've been after some crests for ages and I had to have it. To be fair though I was bidding on it before you posted. (In future I would not bring people's attention to something like these if I were you) I won this one and one earlier this week, for a total of $150. Is that a good price d'ya reckon? Either way I'm gonna be pretty fuckin happy when these babies arrive.

I missed out on one off ebay that went for 50 bucks so i msg the bloke and he offered me another one for 50 so you could give that a go