The Corroboree
themushroombloke

2012 - what seeds to save?

With all the current world events I think the mayans were onto something (I dont think it'll be a complete wipe out, but it'll be tough times).

I was wondering what native edible plant seeds everyone would save. When you answer this post be sure to state where in Australia you live as certain things grow in particular climate.

Call me crazy but I'm preparing now!

Edited by themushroombloke

I just had that idea lastnight!

check this website www.daretoprepare.com

its not seeds but its about supplies and shit that you would need.

i wish i had the money to do it!

hope you budget for an arsenal of weapons too, cos if you're growing the food we know where to come

For one:

The Mayan calendar doesn't finish next year. It starts again. The same as 2010 ended last year, and 2011 began.

For two:

Earth is periodically exposed to solar bursts of varying intensities. We won't die any more from [EMP caused] power-grid disruption than the people in Tokyo with no power will (which is to say, only the frail).

For three:

Although I must admit that the night sky is barely monitored, and where it is monitored - only mildy accurately, this alone does not suggest an entire planet (!) will directly impact Earth within 2 years. Furthermore - if it DID happen, there's absolutely nothing you can do, so sit back and enjoy the ride. Current estimates place asteroid deflection technology deployment at a few years at least from detection (so we can't go all Deep Impact on that space basketball).

For four:

Statistically, there's nothing that says disasters have increased occurence as of late. There's simply increased coverage (hug your media blanket), and more infrastructure (be it shanty towns or concrete cities) to be damaged than ever before.

So, chill out. Either you're going to gasp once that date passes and quickly sweep the hype under the carpet - or you're going to get annihilated to smithereens. No amount of praying, repenting or arm-flailing will allow anything otherwise.

• Like 3

...any plant foods that grow like weeds, ie: parsley, radishes, potatoes etc... water may become scarce so a good location is also important... i have been collecting prickly pears and aloe vera which are drought tolerant and nutritious , the pads of prickly pears are very edible and fast growing, aloe vera innards are very nutritious containg all the amino acids , more protein than meat! Coffee might become hard to source especially in a collapsed economy so an alternative is Catha edulis and a shit load of it :blush:

If the world is going to end we need to put our heads in brown paper bags.

• Like 3

For four:

Statistically, there's nothing that says disasters have increased occurence as of late. There's simply increased coverage (hug your media blanket), and more infrastructure (be it shanty towns or concrete cities) to be damaged than ever before.

Disagree. I wont deny that media coverage has increased and distorted our perspectives. But i dont think thats the only factor ;)

• Like 1

aloe vera innards are very nutritious containg all the amino acids , more protein than meat!

What's the source of that information?

...any plant foods that grow like weeds, ie: parsley, radishes, potatoes etc... water may become scarce so a good location is also important... i have been collecting prickly pears and aloe vera which are drought tolerant and nutritious , the pads of prickly pears are very edible and fast growing, aloe vera innards are very nutritious containg all the amino acids , more protein than meat! Coffee might become hard to source especially in a collapsed economy so an alternative is Catha edulis and a shit load of it :blush:

Ok what I was going for was a post like this one...

Look I hope it all doesn't go down and it may not... I bloody hope so.

But sticking my head in the sand wont do at all I have kids which is a great responsibility and I think If I did nothing to prepare and something did happen I'd be kicken myself promptly followed by kicking the bucket!

I was once a scout and always will be at heart

BE PREPARED!

anyways people could we keep this relevant and talk about what seeds you would keep to survive on!

cheers

Edited by themushroombloke

Non-GM corn. Has a multitude of uses & easy as to grow. Not native I know. But if we're talking apocalypse?????

Edited by muskrat

Murnong - native dandelion

Microseris lanceolata

Tuberous roots are good source of carbohydrate

Stay away from anything that is likely to get disease ridden. We have had an influx over the past few years of new diseases & pests of most commonly grown crops (ToLCV springs to mind)& some that aren't commonly grown (Uredo rangelii).

So while tomatoes & corn yield heavily & are familiar it may be better to look for edibles that aren't related to common horticultural or agricultural crops. I wouldn't discount common crops entirely, just don't rely on them 100%

Just my 2c worth

Edited by shortly

I think i'd have

naturalised guava

rocket the robust weed one

heirloom pumpkin of some kind

native fruits like native lime

wood ear and shiitake mushroom (innoculate stumps locally before d-day)

choko (easy to grow)

newzealand spinach

potager

and for meat(off topic): rabbit as they breed quickly and require very little food.

Rabbits actually eat alot of food, comparitively IMO chooks would eat less

I would probably consider cavys rather than long eared guineapigs that could land you with a 60K fine.

Chooks are only really good for a single generation in seq unless you can get them vaccinated for merricks and fowlpox, better to go with ducks as on the whole they tend to be less problematic.

Dont count on your guava being much good now that we have myrtle rust getting about, & plz keep an eye on it for rust.

Im not sure about all native species, i dont know enough

id take

Neem - althought the viability of seeds is quite short,

Poppy - for pain releif and boredom

a hardy native lettuce or even dandelion or nursturtion

some type of tuber say potatoe or yam

garlic

a grain crop, corn or wheat

something for its natural oil - linseed or peanut, olive even

cannabis

some kind of nitrogen fixing plant too, probably a legume

Edited by yaguareté

I think the whole 2012 thingy is just a meme pushed by the new world order clowns as a part of their agenda. I think all the earthquakes and freaky weather has been induced by haarp or other methods. The whole new age movement which 2012 springs from is a cia mkultra social conditioning program, creating a mangina society of moronic lovebots who wont even fight back when the end game comes. They'll just try to manifest happy happy joy joy white light and unicorn rainbow dolphins from arcturus or some other equally nonsensical drivel. :BANGHEAD2: Although, if it does happen i'm hoping it's zombies.

Edited by Bretloth
  • Like 1

Bretloth brother, I love you man. Really, you are so beautiful.

Grab a drum and join the circle.

• Like 1

Kadakuda, one of great intelligence.

Isn't cannabis sativa a native everywhere now :worship:

Food, medicine, clothing, shelter and entertainment all in one.

I tend to be somewhat agnostic, so just in case I'll make sure I'm entertained for all of December 2012.