The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

I had an encounter with what i think was a yowie!

No offence op but the mind is a powerful thingy, our brains are hardwired to find patterns, ie faces and such, I was born. In Kempsey and have herd many stores in regards yowies, I hope I'm wrong cos If love if a new sp was discovered, but imho its just like the loch Ness monster, ouiji boards and the like, tho I wasnt there so I can't really say I saw what you saw,

Lol mutAnt yowie cactus, me too,

• Like 1

mad story

like zen peddler said, sometimes shit happens that is so weird, you can barely tell if it was a dream, sometimes the memory dissolves almost as easily as a dream. it's a strange world.

i love the explanations/theories, ordinary and otherwise.

This is a very interesting topic. I like to believe that Yowie/yetti/Sasquatch/Bigfoot exist. Hillbilly, i too think that you should go back to the spot on a day trip ,with company and have a good look around. You might see some huge scat (poo) or something that can confirm your suspicions. The link that B_T added to his post is an Australian Yowie Research page and there is a link there to a forum for this kinda stuff. Like Holymountain , i also want to know a little more about theses strange beasts.

i was consentrating on the scrub really hard by this point, but it was very dark with the headlight of the troopy pointing off the the other side and the moon covered by cloud. I then saw something move, now it was really dark and i didnt see it really at all, but something big moved in the scrub only about 5-6 meters ahead of me. It was at least two feet taller than me. and i could kinda see it was an upright kind of shape.

I'm surprised you could see anything at all really as there was no moon on Friday night as it was a new moon.

i'm gonna vote for emu - that thudding boom they make is massive!

or perhaps a large stag? large antlers could easily make it seem wide and tall.

not sure what sort of sounds they make though - foot stamps or bellows?

also, after the misunderstanding between lofty and velvetsiren,

got me thinking as to what is an appropriate term to collectively refer to indigenous australians?

even "aboriginal" can be taken as insulting by some.

and more so, what would be a suitably acceptable 1 or 2 syllable colloquial term?

and by colloquial, i mean able to be spoken face to face without perception of racial attack or prejudice.

"abo" is obviously well and truly stained by racial bigotry, even if it is the most linguistically logical.

"black" is way too generic and culturally shallow, with an unpleasant undertone of superficial assessment

would "wurra's" or "noon's" or "aba's" (location/language specific groups) be perceived as insulting?

I'm honestly not trying to stir shit, just like to find out what would be acceptable terms for informal conversation.

e.g. (chatting to a group of blokes - "so you guys are _______? i.e poms, yanks, wogs, aussies, maoris, kiwis, serbs, esay's)

Is there a casual term that can be used by everyone without perception of prejudice?

i'm gonna vote for emu - that thudding boom they make is massive!

or perhaps a large stag? large antlers could easily make it seem wide and tall.

not sure what sort of sounds they make though - foot stamps or bellows?

also, after the misunderstanding between lofty and velvetsiren,

got me thinking as to what is an appropriate term to collectively refer to indigenous australians?

even "aboriginal" can be taken as insulting by some.

and more so, what would be a suitably acceptable 1 or 2 syllable colloquial term?

and by colloquial, i mean able to be spoken face to face without perception of racial attack or prejudice.

"abo" is obviously well and truly stained by racial bigotry, even if it is the most linguistically logical.

"black" is way too generic and culturally shallow, with an unpleasant undertone of superficial assessment

would "wurra's" or "noon's" or "aba's" (location/language specific groups) be perceived as insulting?

I'm honestly not trying to stir shit, just like to find out what would be acceptable terms for informal conversation.

e.g. (chatting to a group of blokes - "so you guys are _______? i.e poms, yanks, wogs, aussies, maoris, kiwis, serbs, esay's)

Is there a casual term that can be used by everyone without perception of prejudice?

think im going to stick to traditional people from now on lol its actually the 2nd time ive caused a misunderstanding using local dialect. around my way the islanders use the term geman its a word that means just joking the first time i visited thursday island i was chatting with some lads and used the term, one of them thought id implied he was homosexual (he thought id called him a gay man) and cracked me one.

Guest svarg26

those of you interested in the australian yowie, should check out the work of rex gilroy. he has a plethora of foot print casts and so on. well worth checking out. as well as that, he has photos of australian pyramids that no one seems to want to speak about.

according to the stories past down from the indigenous elders. they used to fight these man eating giants. who is to say, that the yowie isn't still living undisturbed deep in the blue mountains.

thanks for sharing your story.

peace.

Any of the doofers on here recognise this dude?

http://www.singletonargus.com.au/news/local/news/general/yes-its-a-yowie/1283858.aspx?storypage=2

He was a seceptic too LOL

Memory can be a funny thing. Get excited enough and it can fill in the gaps with anything it wants. Like i used to quote a funny line from a movie all the time, then when i saw the film again i was so far off from what it actually said it wasn't funny..no pun intended.

Even though australia is a sparsly populated country, it's full enough that creatures the size you mentioned could hide in plain site. I find something like that hard to believe.

One dreamtime story i read was freaky as fuck. It basically told this story about spirits that would hang around the very edge of the light around a campfire. And if you left that light they'd grab you and feed off your soul or something. How scary is that. But it's funny, when i go for a leak or something, facing out into the darkness is a bit overwhelming, and i feel the need to walk brisky back to the safety of the light.

yo

Just from a perspective from the more common animals, my thoughts are leaning towards what a couple have said, emu or deer, sambar and red's get pretty big, don't know if you get sambar up north, but think you get elk, interesting that it stood it's ground though. Good story though! The bush is frustrating like that, like 'oh if i only stayed to check it out' sort of thing, bugs ya for ages.

Edited by gerbil

One dreamtime story i read was freaky as fuck. It basically told this story about spirits that would hang around the very edge of the light around a campfire. And if you left that light they'd grab you and feed off your soul or something. How scary is that. But it's funny, when i go for a leak or something, facing out into the darkness is a bit overwhelming, and i feel the need to walk brisky back to the safety of the light.

sounds familiar... very familiar

• Like 1

A few comments Ill make - actually one Ill reiterate.

Usually with bigfoot sightings in particular, thjey occur around areas of high paranormal activity in general, not just in random bushland. So perhaps this has more to do with paranormal activity or interdimensional activity in general rather than a wild ape man species that has existed as an animal species in secret for 200 or so years.

To me with most descriptions of these kinds of beasts in US, asia and Australia there is remarkable similarities to UFO sightings, usually small groups of people or alone, in arease where no one else is around..

I used to say those 'mind plays tricks' lines a lot before I had my own experienced - infact I remember telling myself I was imagining a ghost as it flattened a plastic bag on the floor of my room. I think that if its the mind then its something more significant than just an imagination or a need to see patterns. I think its probably a persuasive thing where parts of the brain are rendered abnormal perhaps - like a migraine.

Or there again, my real belief is in the cosmic jokers - the veil is thin for some people. many woman are visited by members of their family that have recently died.

As for hidden species - the Thylacine is an example. Foxes have been in Tasmania for a while yet no one has ever spotted on or caught one. If foxes can remain hidden in tasmania why cant thylacines?

A few comments Ill make - actually one Ill reiterate.

Usually with bigfoot sightings in particular, thjey occur around areas of high paranormal activity in general, not just in random bushland. So perhaps this has more to do with paranormal activity or interdimensional activity in general rather than a wild ape man species that has existed as an animal species in secret for 200 or so years.

To me with most descriptions of these kinds of beasts in US, asia and Australia there is remarkable similarities to UFO sightings, usually small groups of people or alone, in arease where no one else is around..

I used to say those 'mind plays tricks' lines a lot before I had my own experienced - infact I remember telling myself I was imagining a ghost as it flattened a plastic bag on the floor of my room. I think that if its the mind then its something more significant than just an imagination or a need to see patterns. I think its probably a persuasive thing where parts of the brain are rendered abnormal perhaps - like a migraine.

Or there again, my real belief is in the cosmic jokers - the veil is thin for some people. many woman are visited by members of their family that have recently died.

As for hidden species - the Thylacine is an example. Foxes have been in Tasmania for a while yet no one has ever spotted on or caught one. If foxes can remain hidden in tasmania why cant thylacines?

and another take, which I am sure, if you listen with open-minded ness, it will make sense...

according to the stories past down from the indigenous elders. they used to fight these man eating giants.

mythologies all over the world talk about giants, titans, the battles between men and gods, men and giants. Aboriginal australia is not an exception. And this Yowie talk and especially tha quote above reminded of this:

According to a damn interesting theory, these myths/stories are remnants of the era [which could be as recent as 15.000 10.000 years ago but dating back a lot more] when neanderthals and sapiens lived on the earth, and they met and fought [and maybe some more hominids where still around]. According to the theory and some evidence from myths, eugenics, hybridisation and selective breeding was being done from the evil sapiens new found oppressive, racist protoreligion. Now, who killed who?

Given the fact that the giants were the ones that were extinct, it was the little guys, sapiens, who killed the giants, neanderthals.

but there are lots and lots of stuff facts and data for this thery, I won't go on.

who is to say, that the yowie isn't still living undisturbed deep in the blue mountains.

if yowie exists, it must be a lost undiscovered hominid, but in any case, we will learn this any time soon. OR, we would have learnt by now, if indications were so strong.

interesting!

This Opit character seems like a magnet for Yowies! It's an interesting essay.

Yowies - Fact or fiction?

http://www.yowiehunters.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=898&Itemid=148

Former National Party Senator Bill O'Chee even saw one on a school camp as a kid!

http://www.yowiehunters.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1185&Itemid=131

Edited by strangebrew

Usually with bigfoot sightings in particular, they occur around areas of high paranormal activity in general, not just in random bushland. So perhaps this has more to do with paranormal activity or interdimensional activity in general rather than a wild ape man species that has existed as an animal species in secret for 200 or so years.

Same as with the "men in black". Those guys (or things) have been spotted at Loch Ness and all.

well i dont doubt it for a second.

im pretty open minded when it comes to weird goings on in the bush.

in my youth bewteen agest 12 and 16 i spent most nights hunting roos on our bush blocks ajoining national parks.

heaps thick bush. i saw some really weird unexplained things...odd moving lights, large shapes taking off in the distance, on a few occasions even my name being called out, when there was no-one there. Often these occurances happened at dusk, and many times id be taking off home on my four wheeler at top speed absolutely shitting myself in terror. Theres alot of magic out there in the bush. Nangar out here is a special place, whenever ur there its as if you are being watched. The whole place has a magical feel. Our farm used to border nangar, and as my dads vision was so fucked i had a minors gun licence from an early age, and basically it was my job to keep roos from decimating the crops.

If anyone is keen id be keen to do a camp at Nangar, tis about 3 hrs from sydney, im way to skeered to do it alone.

• Like 1

well i dont doubt it for a second.

im pretty open minded when it comes to weird goings on in the bush.

in my youth bewteen agest 12 and 16 i spent most nights hunting roos on our bush blocks ajoining national parks.

heaps thick bush. i saw some really weird unexplained things...odd moving lights, large shapes taking off in the distance, on a few occasions even my name being called out, when there was no-one there. Often these occurances happened at dusk, and many times id be taking off home on my four wheeler at top speed absolutely shitting myself in terror. Theres alot of magic out there in the bush. Nangar out here is a special place, whenever ur there its as if you are being watched. The whole place has a magical feel. Our farm used to border nangar, and as my dads vision was so fucked i had a minors gun licence from an early age, and basically it was my job to keep roos from decimating the crops.

If anyone is keen id be keen to do a camp at Nangar, tis about 3 hrs from sydney, im way to skeered to do it alone.

I'm in for an exciting (and underwear-filling) camp so long as somebody brings a registered rifle and knows how to use it responsibly. I've got an open mind about these things, but I'm not totally convinced there isn't a scientific explanation. I'd love to see for myself a phenomena of this kind... so long as my throat doesn't get ripped out in the process...

Awesome. Yowie hunting camp.

Sounds like fun.

We could always make a potato/orange cannon for protection.

Awesome. Yowie hunting camp.

Sounds like fun.

We could always make a potato/orange cannon for protection.

Yowie vs. Wheelchair... I'll go with the rifle kthnx.

• Like 1