The Corroboree
Genesis

Anime and Anime goodness

Hey kids and kidettes, how's our night going?

I am a big anime/manga fan and I kinda have fallen out of the anime scene as of late.

I was always more of a movie fan, Ghost is the shell, Blood, Akira (I have an Akira tat thus making me more anime then every one) things of that nature. Recently I started watching cowboy bebop again and forgot how great the anime series can be, really interested in anything cyberpunk/action/gore-ish.

Any one make an suggestions?

I found a pretty cool looking series on the net just now called "Texhnolyze", any one seen it?

Also any one know of any good places in Aust, preferably online, that you can get cheap anime box sets? Every where I go everything is WAY overpriced. Best place I can find is JB but their selection is some what lacking and still quite pricey.

Cheers,

Gen

Hey Gen

One anime that i rememer being fucking awesome was a series called Goku: Midnight eye. Made back in the 80's so it's pretty oldschool by todays standards. Basically a private detective gets a supercomputer implanted into his left eye and a special kind of stick that can extend indeffinately.

Other than that, any of the studio Gibli movies are really pretty. And Akira is the ultimate anime.

Man if i had that kind of power....

cheers

I really liked Appleseed. I watched it before I was interested in anime at all, because Paul Oakenfold (yes I like Paul Oakenfold, eat it ok hes a good dj!) did the soundtrack mix...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appleseed_(film)

Watching anime if you don't know Japanese is a bit lame I feel, worse than when American cartoons make American sports jokes and I'm sitting there "I'm sure that was supposed to be funny"...anyway...

I like cartoons, and anime is cartoons.

EDIT: No I don't know Japanese, yes I'm a bit lame

Edited by Sina

Samurai Champloo, Paranoia Agent, Afro Samurai are some cool series that spring to mind. I assume you've seen the Ghost in the Shell series? Also Ghost in the Shell S.A.C.

Witch Hunter Robin was okay but only saw a few, same with the Twelve Kingdoms... both of those are aimed at younger viewers though, I guess.

There was a really cool series that I can't for the life of me remember the name of which is set in feudal Japan for the first half and then jumps to a reincarnated set of the same characters in modern day Tokyo for the last half, it was pretty cool. There's another thread on anime somewhere, I might have mentioned the name it in that.

I know you asked about series but a fairly recent movie that is worth checking our is Paprika. I also loved most of the Hayao Miyazaki films, but if you are as much a fan of anime as you reckon you probably have a tattoo of Porco Rossi on your balls.

Fighting:

Bleach is a real popular ongoing fight-the-monsters anime

Naruto is a real popular ongoing ninja anime with several good movies too

I second Samurai Champloo, thats pretty good for feudal style anime

Shaman King is good- completed series, no movies, about shamans.

Fate stay-night is a decent completed fighting series

Full Metal Alchemist is a good alchemist anime, completed series plus two movies

Scrapped Princess is a good one, old feudal setting with a surprise sci-fi twist later on

Shuffle! is a good one about a boy that gets caught up in a mess between ruling families in parallel universes that collided with ours

Elfen Lied is a short series about hot psychic mass murderer babes that spray blood and limbs all over

Gunslinger Girl is a series about dieing pre-teen girls that were recruited to be morphed into cyborg slave-assassins, it focuses more on the human condition than the killing

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a classic where teens are recruited to pilot giant machines to fight invading enemies.. I found it good but generally over rated

Yumeria is a rare short series about a boy that gets mixed up in fighting enemies using super powers with a group of girls in a psychadelic dream-scape.

Not fighting:

Onegai Teacher is a nice innocent anime

Onegai Twins follows Onegai Teacher and has more tits and ass

Fruits Basket is a girlie anime thats pretty good, theres a dubbed version

Chobits is a good one about a cute robotic personal computer (persocomp) girl

Azumanga Daioh is a classic slice-of-life series about a group of girls in highschool

Angelic Layer is about a girl that gets into competitions with animated battle dolls with other girls and boys and interesting stuff happens (pseudo-fighting innocent enough for 12 year old girls)

Genshiken is about a college club "The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture" that focuses on studying hentai, pretty funny at times.

...thats all the good ones I can think of off the top of my head :P

Cant go past 'Urotsukidoji' (Legend of the overfiend) by Toshio Maeda who is also well known for 'La Blue Girl'.

Its some pretty full on stuff and one of the iconic and original hentai/horror tenticals flying everywhere type anime's and I suggest you only get the subtitled version because it looses a lot of the feel if you get the dubbed version because its missing some mof the background effects and muisc etc.

I read on the wiki page about him that he wanted the words 'Tentical Master' written on his grave stone... hmmm, freaky fella.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urotsukid%C5%8Dji

Edited by AndyAmine.
  • Like 1

I know you asked about series but a fairly recent movie that is worth checking our is Paprika. I also loved most of the Hayao Miyazaki films, but if you are as much a fan of anime as you reckon you probably have a tattoo of Porco Rossi on your balls.

Haha I love Porco, one of the first anime's I saw. Miyazaki is amazing, I grew up watching his films and I think today I am a better person for it. Strange but true. See his son, Goro I think it is, started making films. Very much his fathers son.

Somebody mentioned bleach, I have heard about it, never seen it tho, might have to check it out.

I ended up buying that Texhnolyze anime so I will let you all know how it goes, cheers for the help.

Gen

sdfsdf

Edited by Teljkon

Tonari no Totoro (my neighbour totoro), easily the best Miyazaki film, I don't care for his son's work though, another good one is Great Teacher Onizuka, about a tokyo bikie gang leader who becomes a school teacher.

i loved the ninja scrolls, devil man, akira, spirited away was pretty good, howls moving castle, The Cat Returns, used to watch goku,

anybody remember cartoons in mind 90's played late night on sbs, aeon flux, the head, the maxx and was a few others that they used to show,

I loved The Head,

Remember Butt Head being in the 1st episode? He was a courier from the government!

"Were goin to Catch the Blues"

Be watching Tonight, Mon 12th SBS @1:10am!

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion.

i loved the ninja scrolls, devil man, akira, spirited away was pretty good, howls moving castle, The Cat Returns, used to watch goku,

anybody remember cartoons in mind 90's played late night on sbs, aeon flux, the head, the maxx and was a few others that they used to show,

All good anime man. SBS toons? Like bubblegum crisis and Neon genesis? I think there was another called Gun Smith Cat's about a bunch of big boobed chicks with cat ears and massive pistols, lol.

Be watching Tonight, Mon 12th SBS @1:10am!

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion.

End of Eva fucked with my head seriously bad when I saw it the first time. Neon Genesis fucked my right up in fact, it was genius! They recently made a new Neo Gen film but I aint seen it yet.

Gen

• Like 1

Space Pirate Cobra

Akira

Ninja Scrolls

Fist of the North Star

Now those are THE best manga (anime) ever made!!!

Edited by lsdreamz

Double post soz..

Edited by lsdreamz

Edited by lsdreamz

I didn't see Princess Mononoke mentioned here yet, another great Studio Ghibli production. Excellent storyline and beautiful art. I found it really something special.

Edited by lsdreamz

I liked Mononoke but Princess Nausicaa is better.. very profound,

... even without a certain fungi appetiser.

[large][AnimePaper]wallpapers_Nausicaa-Valley-Of-The-Wind_helix-designs(1.6)__THISRES__73831.jpg

Edited by Undergrounder

Edited by lsdreamz

I'm not a BIG anime fan so i don't know what the original version would have that the english version doesn't, but IMO the English version is fantastic, so if you can find that, it should be just as good. I actually bought my copy at JB Hi-Fi, it's quite a popular film, often on SBS also. I've seen it at Borders, Dymocks, JB Hi-Fi and even at Blockbuster.

I won't tell you anything about it so not to spoil the fun, but suffice to say i found it very moving, akin to Mononoke in message, but better written and better done. Fantastic full orchestra music...

Just full of that great 80s fantasy movie vibe that you just don't get with overbudgeted digital movies these days.

Edit: English voice actors include Uma Thurman & Patrick Stewart, and they're very good.

Edited by Undergrounder

AfroSamurai and AfroSamurai:resurection. Great music, plenty of gore. I found them highly entertaining. Voiced by Samuel L Jackson.

Last night I rented a movie called "Origin: Spirits of the Past". Was pretty fucking good, it also had like a look after the planet message. I suggest you have a watch if you get the chance.

"Origin: Spirits of the Past is the story of Agito, a young boy living in a dystopian Japan set 300 years in the future. This apocalypse was brought about by extensive genetic engineering on trees, conducted at a research facility on Earth's moon, in order to produce trees capable of growing in harsh, arid conditions. The trees became conscious and spread to Earth in a fiery holocaust, wiping out most of modern civilization and fragmenting the moon. Agito's world is covered mostly by the Forest, a huge expanse of living trees, ruled by the tree-like Druids, which now inhabit the earth and control the water supply of both trees and humans. Agito and his father Agashi, as well as his friends Cain and Minka, live in Neutral City, a city carved out of the ruined skyscrapers of an old metropolis. Neutral City acts as both a buffer and a bridge between the Forest and the militaristic nation of Ragna. While the people of Neutral City co-exist peacefully with the trees of the forest, the nation of Ragna aims to destroy the Forest in order to return the world to the way it was before the mutant trees invaded."

Made in Gonzo studios and directed by Keiichi Sugiyama. I think I read somewhere he directed a few episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion, which is fucking rad.

^^^^

That sounds awesome Gen. Will deffinately check it out.

cheers