Jump to content
The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Flux

Courtii Seed

Recommended Posts

Just because it's such a beautiful plant and many members  here seek to grow it... I thought I'd let all you good folks here know that EntheoBotanica have seed in stock at the moment at a fantastic price and I'd love to see as many people growing it as possible (so don't be too greedy and buy them all ...just get enough seeds so that every one can grow a few healthy seedlings and eventually trees). 

 

https://www.entheo-botanica.org/product-page/acacia-courtii-seed-nsw-northern-three-brother-wattle

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get on it fast! 

Another year or so I hope to be able to supply seeds to this community too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks flux just ordered some. These are notoriously difficult to grow right?  Any tips? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're easy to grow really. Check out communication's post...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that didnt last long! :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are they sold out already !?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flux said:

are they sold out already !?

 

Yep. I missed out. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have some (2-3 packs of 5) seed to give away from my post on the Wattle Day thread:  

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/06/2019 at 4:59 PM, Flux said:

Just because it's such a beautiful plant and many members  here seek to grow it... I thought I'd let all you good folks here know that EntheoBotanica have seed in stock at the moment at a fantastic price and I'd love to see as many people growing it as possible (so don't be too greedy and buy them all ...just get enough seeds so that every one can grow a few healthy seedlings and eventually trees). 

 

https://www.entheo-botanica.org/product-page/acacia-courtii-seed-nsw-northern-three-brother-wattle

 

This and the Phlebophylla seed they stocked was wild harvested, just in case you didn't know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gimli, 'Cultivated seed' is only just becoming a reality now and has been the result and goal of those who have put enormous effort into distributing a small amount of seed so that people like yourself who otherwise have absolutely no exposure to this plant have the opportunity to grow them and play a role in their conservation. Meanwhile, people are cutting down the trees where they stand and all you do is criticize the very source that has given you and many others the opportunity to grow them while knowingly buying as much of said "wild harvested seed" as you can and passing it off as your own. Hypocrisy at its worst

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, communacacian said:

Gimli, 'Cultivated seed' is only just becoming a reality now and has been the result and goal of those who have put enormous effort into distributing a small amount of seed so that people like yourself who otherwise have absolutely no exposure to this plant have the opportunity to grow them and play a role in their conservation. Meanwhile, people are cutting down the trees where they stand and all you do is criticize the very source that has given you and many others the opportunity to grow them while knowingly buying as much of said "wild harvested seed" as you can and passing it off as your own. Hypocrisy at its worst

 

I never once tried to pass off the seed I purchased as my own, all I did was share around some of what I had. I also don't remember criticizing, just making it public knowledge as it's still a hot topic. There are a lot of people who don't condone wild harvesting of species which are vulnerable/endangered

 

It wasn't until after I received my seeds that I actually asked what the source of the seeds actually was. I admit that should have been my first port of call

 

Seeya commy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ooh  that reminds me,  its probably now i should be germinating these  !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/10/2019 at 4:23 PM, Gimli said:

  

I never once tried to pass off the seed I purchased as my own, all I did was share around some of what I had. I also don't remember criticizing, just making it public knowledge as it's still a hot topic. There are a lot of people who don't condone wild harvesting of species which are vulnerable/endangered 

 

It wasn't until after I received my seeds that I actually asked what the source of the seeds actually was. I admit that should have been my first port of call 

  

Seeya commy

Gimli, if I’ve misinterpreted things then I do apologise. While wild seeds are far from perfect, I believe they have played an important role in conservation. However, I do share your sentiment that there are enough seeds out there now and hopefully cultivated seed is all we see from here on in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With out the small bit of wild seed harvesting that did take place a few years back for lots of us to be able to grow these trees then their wouldnt be the multitude of domestic populations that exist today.

Sp like Plebophyllia are declining in their habitat due to no wild fires or traditional burning taking place, Courtii populations are being decimated, Obtusafolia, Acuminata and Burkittii also.

 

Everything we grow has habitat origins - everything

Even older domestic and commercial plantings of sandal wood, quandong and acuminata, the seed has originated from habitat. 

 

Lots of us have anywhere from a couple of trees to substantial plantings of many rare acacia sp which have come from the stellar work that Communacacian has done in collecting seed, germinating, growing and distributing these wonderful trees.

If......... and thats a huge if - collecting a small of that seed has had any detremental effects on the environment then it has been more than worth it.

 

Many of the domestic plantings of rare accacia sp that that only exist due to the outstanding work of Communacacian are now baring fruit - such magnificent glorious pods of joy. 

These will be germinated, cultivated, distributed and planted thus ever increasing the volume of these trees.

A HUGE legacy has began, in coming years there may/will end up being more of these rare trees growing in domestic settings than in habitat - all because of Communicacian and his hard work.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have ever received obtusifolia seed from me, they were also from wild trees. 

I try to collect a small number of seeds from the largest number of different trees as I can. My opinion is that it's important to preserve as much diversity in phenotypes as possible, and taking 5-10 pods off each tree that is bearing hundreds is as minimal of an impact as I can manage.

Also, and I know the birds have to eat, if I didn't collect these pods, 95% or more would be eaten by cockatoos within a week of them ripening. Of the remaining seeds, less than one percent would ever find suitable conditions and germinate. Even less would survive their first summer. I do take young plants back out there to replant amongst their parents so I am trying to give them as great a chance of survival as I can, apart from spreading their territory to your backyards.

Bark rippers are killing a lot of these trees, and they need all the help they can get.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×