The Corroboree
fydesvindico

radical changes to Australia's surveillance and intelligence laws

Right now the Government is considering the most sweeping and radical changes to Australia's surveillance and intelligence laws since the establishment of the original laws in 1979.

The changes would give Australia's spy agency, ASIO, broad powers to gather unprecedented levels of data on Australian citizens, including monitoring your emails and posts on Twitter, Facebook and other social media accounts. Internet providers and websites would be forced to keep detailed records of everything you do online for at least 2 years, and be forced to turn this over to the government if requested - and all of this could potentially be done without a warrant.

video and petition here: http://www.getup.org...WFpbGlkPTkwMQ==

this is pretty messed up stuff... i shall share this around to every one i know and hope that this stupid law doesn't get put through

this is pretty messed up stuff... i shall share this around to every one i know and hope that this stupid law doesn't get put through

i heard nicola roxon say a few days after the report was released that it needs to be reconsidered or something. i suppose thats one good thing about labor being so hated, they probably won't implement laws that will put them offside with the few people remain who'll vote for them. then again they're so politically retarded that i wouldn't put it past them.

• Like 2

She should be careful what she wishes for, legislation like this treats everyone as though they were guilty.

If you treat everyone like a criminal that's very likely exactly what they will create.

• Like 2

Shared on facebook, may share again and possibly even pay for their new "announce" service seeing as nobody saw the last one. Important stuff.

Huh? (re: ambiguous jpg)

Huh? (re: ambiguous jpg)

I think it's a modern day parallel to a courier pigeon.

If it goes over the web, someone can see it. If it's not on the web then that falls outside the scope of the legislation - for now anyway.

That's so outrageous. It's real fascism, controlling police state stuff. They really want to take control of the internet, it's possibly the only thing we have ever had in the history of our species which allows us instant, free information out of the control of the authorities.

We really need to fight these changes as hard as we can.

• Like 2

USA has been doing this for awhile, wouldn't surprise me if its been happening here for sometime as well, facebook=intel gathering, people have been saying this since it came out

ive always felt that way about facebook! just as i expect the psuedo-powers to attempt to gain controll over every aspect of our lives.

Cheers for sharing, signed it and shared it :)

Bump. Shared on Facebook again. If anybody hasn't shared and can spare the time it's definitely a worthwhile cause.

no, only way around it is vpn, or a proxy like tor

Edited by qualia

Looks like its a done deal. http://www.smh.com.a...0822-24m03.html

Now what? Anyway to opt out of this one?

hm, is this the whole data retention thing? doesn't say anything about it, this article says it wont happen until after the election, yet the one you posted says its happened, still getting a vpn regardless

If anyone had any doubts about our government being fascistic, now is the time to start thinking seriously about what's going on. I think they are preparing for the time when environmental degradation becomes ultra obvious even to the most blind and when people really start to question the value of capitalism. We're in for a rough ride I reckon.

I can't believe this shit. Seriously?! We live in an actual fucking police state. Sure Mr. Government Man, here's all my personal liberties, can I get you anything else?

reading around a bit this is not the data retention but allowing authorities to issue a warrant to ISP's to retain IP/phone logs but more importantly to allow foreign bodies to request ISP's do the same (i.e. RIAA MPAA can now get the feds to watch you). so if you have file sharing tendencies be extra vigilant i guess.

edit: i think it's only foreign governments can request the warrants, but they act on behalf of their corporate backers so the general premise is still true.

Edited by qualia

Yeah, one is a bill that has just passed. The other is just a discussion paper from the Department of Despotism Attourney-General's Department. (These are the same wonderful people that seem to be plowing ahead with the implementation of model drug, plant and precursor schedules in apparent ignorance of all the submissions made in opposition of this.)

See https://www.efa.org.au/2012/07/13/proposed-national-security-changes/

(These are the same wonderful people that seem to be plowing ahead with the implementation of model drug, plant and precursor schedules in apparent ignorance of all the submissions made in opposition of this.)

:o any more info on this? i see the date last modified on the document is 29 jun 2012, but everything else refers to last year/2010, are we gonna have to gear up for round 2?

• Like 1

:o any more info on this? i see the date last modified on the document is 29 jun 2012, but everything else refers to last year/2010, are we gonna have to gear up for round 2?

Send an email to the lady in the document. She hasn't replied to mine.

In fact, seeing as Ms Hartigan probably won't reply, best to CC it to [email protected] , [email protected] and your local member (of parliament, not the other tool).

This article seems to clear it up a bit.

It seems there were two proposals, one allowing police to compel ISPs to keep data for suspected cyber-criminals, and one compelling ISPs to log all internet user's data for two years. It seems the first proposal has passed, and the second is being temporarily shelved.