The Corroboree
holymountain

Creating an Outdoor Patch for Woodlovers or Subs

1 hour ago, SayN said:

subs2021.thumb.jpg.d0bfdce17877806b3caea2602d8d81ed.jpgimageproxy.php?img=&key=ed93ee4b8a158835

How's the magic clothespeg looking these days?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Glaukus said:

How's the magic clothespeg looking these days?

Devoured I think

• Like 1

Ohh interesting. I’m looking to setup an outdoor grow box for mushrooms (might try oyster first).... but.... can wood lovin mushrooms grow in seq? Or should I just stick to oysters and buttons.

Edited by Zedo

^ Subs are defo found in SE QLD, usually at altitude and in cold temps of course :wink:

Ah ok. Damn. Blue meanies would be nice to have pop up. Maybe I’ll just try food grade fungi first lol 

Welp, 12 years later and I STILL haven’t even found one in the wild!! Let alone get patches happening. But I’ve gotta move house again so…

I will NEVER give up, and NEVER SURRENDER. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2014 at 2:14 PM, Horus said:

Hey guys,

So happy to post in this thread started by my beautiful bro Holy Mountain.

He was in the forest with me when I collected my mycelium .

Now years later I look forward to winter when my shamanic garden really pumps out the medicine.

1st patch started with the whole corrugated cardboard,woodchip tek.

post-337-0-75252800-1402286707_thumb.jpg

Just transplanted a clump of myc to under my 14yo Caapi vine.

In 1 year the whole mound is thick with mycelium, it loves the synergy of the great mother.

post-337-0-36187800-1402286933_thumb.jpg

Both patches are mulched with Acacias finest leaf and Caapi leaf and vine.

Watered all year around with fishpond water.

I swear they have taken up the goodness and are aya subs.

post-337-0-58874500-1402286985_thumb.jpg

my ex used to communicate with the subs spirits through me (I would have ingested and he did his psychic thing, I would ask questions), and they told him once that they w@nt to be grown under acacias.

• Like 1

The mycelium in my patch has woken up this week and is surprisingly aggressive given the time of the year.

Fancy Pants, I've found subs at 38 different locations throughout NSW and only once would I say there was a considerable number of Acacias around. I'd go so far as to say that avoiding looking in Acacia rich habitat would be a useful beginner tip. The place I found them in association was highly disturbed/unnatural. I have nondoubt they'd thrive beneath Acacia in planted beds though. All bets are off when growing in wood chip.

• Like 1

I just found a fresh stockpile of chips laid out for the local bushcare group. Time to inoculate it for the coming years I say! It's next to a site I've been considering for a public patch so it's all win.

• Haha 1

On 14/03/2022 at 10:48 AM, Freakosystem said:

The mycelium in my patch has woken up this week and is surprisingly aggressive given the time of the year.

Fancy Pants, I've found subs at 38 different locations throughout NSW and only once would I say there was a considerable number of Acacias around. I'd go so far as to say that avoiding looking in Acacia rich habitat would be a useful beginner tip. The place I found them in association was highly disturbed/unnatural. I have nondoubt they'd thrive beneath Acacia in planted beds though. All bets are off when growing in wood chip.

I definitely thought it was interesting as I hadn’t really heard of it being a desired habitat for subs specifically. I wish I could remember more of that conversation but I was driving at the time and we’ve now split up. 

On 14/03/2022 at 6:44 PM, Glaukus said:

I just found a fresh stockpile of chips laid out for the local bushcare group. Time to inoculate it for the coming years I say! It's next to a site I've been considering for a public patch so it's all win.

What’s your ideal public patch?

Great to see this thread is still going. Brings back memories. Best public patch I ever found was in a park between a hospital and a cemetery a couple of blocks from my work in North Sydney. If anyone knows the area they can probably figure it out. It was near the train station, easy access. Always a busy park but no one ever bothered me. Strangely, out of dozens of mulched areas, all seemingly the same, only one produced fruits. As it was near work I could monitor it throughout the season, checking it every day, catching all the flushes, year after year. An absolute gift and a prolific fruiter and extremely potent. I'm positive that the location between the cemetery and hospital gave it extra, extra juju. I was scared of them. I ended up moving away, and no one I shared the location with bothered to check it out with the same dedication. Last I checked that particular patch is now a car park. Quite the bummer. But back in the day I definitely spread mycellium to all of the other mulched areas so who knows what's happening there these autumns and winters.

FB_IMG_1647415547648.jpg

FB_IMG_1647415547648.thumb.jpg.143ab542e5563df047ed0a8815ab23ef.jpg

FB_IMG_1647415547648.thumb.jpg.143ab542e5563df047ed0a8815ab23ef.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, FancyPants said:

What’s your ideal public patch?

The most useful tip I can offer for urban areas is to check woodchip beds on the *south side* of buildings and fences. These stay wettest and coolest during the hot/dry months. 

I reckon 80% of the urban patches I find are shaded to the north by structures (the other 20% shaded by vegetation cover).

• Like 1

I wondered if there was another goal to choosing public spaces, more than just habitat suitability. Like if there was a particular demographic to aim for, or to make a statement, or because of increased visibility/access etc? 

wouldn’t be a precise thing obvs, but curious nonetheless. I reckon getting some going at rehab places would be good. 

12 hours ago, FancyPants said:

I wondered if there was another goal to choosing public spaces, more than just habitat suitability. Like if there was a particular demographic to aim for, or to make a statement, or because of increased visibility/access etc? 

wouldn’t be a precise thing obvs, but curious nonetheless. I reckon getting some going at rehab places would be good. 

I have a creek with regenerated bush either side right next to where I live, so it's close. There's plenty of shade so the ground stays moist through summer. And it's topped up with chips and branches by local bushcare so I don't need to maintain it myself.

Also, it's nice to share. My home patch is great, but if I ever leave my house behind, I have a public spot I can go check.

• Like 2

Totally makes sense!