The Corroboree
Distracted

US Suggested ban on conspiracy theories

Top Obama czar: Infiltrate all 'conspiracy theorists'

Presidential adviser wrote about crackdown on expressing opinions

In a lengthy academic paper, President Obama's regulatory czar, Cass Sunstein, argued the U.S. government should ban "conspiracy theorizing."

Among the beliefs Sunstein would ban is advocating that the theory of global warming is a deliberate fraud.

Sunstein also recommended the government send agents to infiltrate "extremists who supply conspiracy theories" to disrupt the efforts of the "extremists" to propagate their theories.

In a 2008 Harvard law paper, "Conspiracy Theories," Sunstein and co-author Adrian Vermeule, a Harvard law professor, ask, "What can government do about conspiracy theories?"

"We can readily imagine a series of possible responses. (1) Government might ban conspiracy theorizing. (2) Government might impose some kind of tax, financial or otherwise, on those who disseminate such theories."

In the 30-page paper – obtained and reviewed by WND – Sunstein argues the best government response to "conspiracy theories" is "cognitive infiltration of extremist groups."

(Story continues below)

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=121884

I would've pasted it all in here but there's too much formatted from that particular site :(

He goes on to say that online forums should be infiltrated by people spreading facts and disseminating theories. :o! I wonder how many agents are already involved on the internet trolling people

• Like 2

Don't worry peasants, the Government has everything under control. :puke:

Thanks for the post Distracted.

This is beyond the pale.

As much as I have little time for many* conspiracy theories, I don't think that the government should be banning, taxing or "infiltrating" them.

And I say this as someone who having a very heated stoush on another thread, with someone who subscribes to the conspiracy theory that there a global scientific fraud to deceive the public about climate change. I know that he is wrong in his beliefs, and I am concerned that the spread of such beliefs may harm the planet, but it is entirely his right to hold them, and even to refuse to change them.

It's not possible to mandate belief in a free society; at least, not without using brainwashing techniques. Forced belief, whether achieved consciously or subconsciously by the person being forced, is no victory for society or for enlightened thought.

Some people will always hold contrary opinons. It's a simple consequence of diversity. If a lot of people hold irrational beliefs then perhaps society should be looking at how it educates its citizens, or permits them to be deceived, but it's not going to achieve enlightenment under the soles of jackbooted feet.

{* Some 'conspiracy theories' are eminently credible in my opinion, but that's another story...)

• Like 3

Snigger.

I just realised that some of the people I'm blue-ing with might think that I'm a "cognitive infiltrator" myself. Before they fall for that conspiracy theory, I should point out that the US government would not plant a climate change spook on an ethnobotanical forum.

No, in this case they'd more likely be planting people who gently tell us that "drugs are bad, mmmkay?"

Of course, you can never be sure what they might do... :wink:

When I posted this thread WoodDragon I thought of you, then you posted a multi-paragraph post... gold :)

Not that i'm implying anything, only the hilarity of the moment.

I'm not sure the title of this post is fair, even though it's paraphased from the site I linked. He does point out that banning conspiracy theories is an option, he suggests infiltration a much better solution. The FBI infiltrate cults in America at the moment making sure they don't do something rash, i imagine it would be something a little like that but more active in their approach.

Obscene, threatening comments posted at anti-TSA website traced to Homeland Security servers

One such comment, which has since been deleted, said, "F**k you, f**k all you c**ksuckers, you wont change anything." Another stated, "Ride the bus, TSA is here to stay there [sic] doing a great job keeping americia [sic] safe."

Posts like these appear to be the standard. YouTube, anyone?

COINTELPRO: The FBI's War on Black America

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3729458480013375211

• Like 1

Guest svarg26

any group creating noise will already be infiltrated by government agents, this site included. to think otherwise is just ridiculous.

it would seem that WoodDragon has many people watching with interest. talking elitist propaganda is never a good way to stay under the radar.

"Among the beliefs Sunstein would ban is advocating that the theory of global warming is a deliberate fraud."

it wouldn't be the first time that they have made thought a crime. 65 years and counting on the first one. oh how people forget.

• Like 2

Banning "conspiracy theories" is foolish, to emphasize why here is a short list of past 'conspiracy theories' :

That the nazis were exterminating jews and the roma during world war 2

That the american colonies were organizing an independence movement

That the US was trying to build a nuclear bomb

That gandhi was preparing his movement to oppose the british in india

The list goes on, funny how 'conspiracy theories' get regarded as being automatically implausible just because of the label they carry.

The US government is just intensely fearful of people finding out whats going on in the world, a sure sign of a dangerous and non-representative government.

There should be a law that if a politician lies while acting in their capacity as a politician they should be sent to prison for 20 years... because when a politician lies it often results in harm and/or death to many people, and thus is as damnable as multiple murder.

• Like 4

I had my suspicions before I learned of this thread.......

• Like 1

There should be a law that if a politician lies while acting in their capacity as a politician they should be sent to prison for 20 years... because when a politician lies it often results in harm and/or death to many people, and thus is as damnable as multiple murder.

I agree with statement, that IMO is what the term "Scales of justice" refers to. Someone in a position of trust and influence should be dealt a much heavier penalty for any wrongdoing than the average Joe.

I think politicians statements should be treated as verbal contracts with the electorate in which they are made (especially if they were elected on said promises) and any breach of that verbal contract should be treated appropriately.

It seems there are a lot of politicians with guilty consciences these days.

If they need to resort to cowardly acts like banning talk about conspiracies, they are obviously very stressed and carrying a lot of hate.:ana:

Karma works in weird ways, I wouldn't like to live my life like that. :P

• Like 2

I had my suspicions before I learned of this thread.......

Watch out sly! That sorta thinking could get u arrested in the not too distant future :P

I completely agree with Auxin and Magicdirt in that politicians should be held to what they say as a verbal contract.

Filter out all the crap and just deliver the truth. Any breach of contract can be treated as such. Any decision that

results in the unnecessary death of people may result in a hefty jail sentence in the general population.

For example President Bush no. 2 personally signed off on a number of executions while he was governor of Texas,

then he initiated a couple of wars that resulted in many many unnecessary deaths. I wouldn't like to live that sort of karma.

As far as banning conspiracy theories I think the government would be crazy to do as much as many conspiracy theories

work for their benefit. They actively continue and add to some. But many governments leave me scratching my head

on many issues so I wouldn't be surprised but I think it would take a couple generations to effectively enact something

like this and many more to mop up the disastrous results.

Will they be burning people at the stake or :crux:publicly?

Conspiracy theories are extremely dangerous folks, I for one am willing to give up all my freedoms, and have my brain removed so I can serve the elite more efficiently

• Like 3

As much as I dislike most of the conspiracy theories which pervade our (global) society, this is a joke. It's just a badly disguised attempt to censor free speech.

• Like 1

Conspiracy Theory is like the word terrorist. Terrorist is the label you never want to be called. Will conspiracy theorist become a similar label, thrown at anyone who challenges the establishment? And used to take away their rights with support from the public.....

Next they will be gasing gays, special needs people, inferior races and haveing large rallies with lots of flags, bonfires and saluting

Conspiracy Theory is like the word terrorist. Terrorist is the label you never want to be called. Will conspiracy theorist become a similar label, thrown at anyone who challenges the establishment? And used to take away their rights with support from the public.....

Another that springs to mind easily is that word DENIER...

• Like 1

I'm probably going to regret this, but

http://www.conspiracybomb.com/

http://swallowingthe...conspiracy.html

http://www.utahraves...p?t=9902&page=1

The g-boys will have their work cut out infiltrating all of this!

:wink:

Christ and his disciples were a magic-mushroom cult.

Shit...I thought that one was bloody true.......

Cool - they would have to ban all religions then because they are conspiracy theories :)