The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Psychoactive Saffron (Crocus sativus)

we haven't been able to get the top quality saffron at the price we want, so no, it hasn't been available. we do have some above average cheap stuff, but it's just not the same if you're looking for the serotonergic effect.

Dreaming Nagual, if you do find it please post here or send to my email. Thanks.

freshly picked, it looses a lot of size when drying!

post-70-1236437117_thumb.jpg

DSCF0767crocus_squirellresize.JPG

DSCF0767crocus_squirellresize.JPG

Edited by planthelper

Thanks for the tip, planthelper!

I love me some saffron :wub: A friend brought me back a half oz of some high quality saffron from Dubai a while back. I immediately made a standardized tincture with everclear for 'fixing' the oils, as Torsten put it.

1 mL = 125 mg, so 1-3 mL is pretty nice.

/me starts searching his area for Crocus sativus bulbs :) Need some freshies for better tincture!

A friend recently returned from India and he brought saffron essential oil through with him. At least I guess that's what it is. Anyhoo, I'll try convince him it's worth a tipple under the tounge, as soon as teach him that one - he thinks this all bullshit herbalism, this ethno.

Haha gave him a go of my calamus oil yesterday which he tried, well succeded to swallow, from which I had to rescue him with some straight maple syrup... some folks never figure out (believe) the whole sublingual thingo.

So I'll buy him some saffron from the soopermarkets for his curry, and post the results as soon as.

I'm considering growing Saffron.... do y'all think it' worth it?

I cant see why it wouldn't be worth while to grow ?,

Psychoactive effects aside The question is even if it was only just for the pleasure of using some home grown fresh saffron to flavor your rice why wouldn't it be well worth the effort ? :huh:

I can buy tomato's & capsicums all year round but id prefer to grow my own when possible, im sure you feel the same with your baccy plot ?

Edited by mac

Ya of course but you must understand I have limit space!

So I guess my question is...

What is the consenus on Saffron's psychoactivity?

save space for something with a better yield...

buy a good grade of saffron

:)

Would either safranal or crocin be absorbed via bloodstream? I can't think of the proper way to say that. I mean would they be absorbed per rectal? I don't want to go wasting saffron by just shoving it up my bum :lol:

Would either safranal or crocin be absorbed via bloodstream? I can't think of the proper way to say that. I mean would they be absorbed per rectal? I don't want to go wasting saffron by just shoving it up my bum :lol:

The simplest answer to your question is, "very likely as it absorbs nicely through the mucous membranes of the mouth."

But here's the thing: Try it between your cheek and gum first cuz that may make you decide that you don't need such a pungent, spicy effect in your nether regions :P

Seriously, maybe just shelf some cayenne paste to induce an endorphin reaction while you're at it, lol :devil:

• Haha 1

I decided I wanted to try some for myself. Went to the local ethnic grocer and bought a small tin of spanish 'Ellora' azafran and initially all I can taste is Iodine! Is there any case of Iodine being used to adulterate saffron I wonder!

Anyway, after it starts dissolving (0.5 g) I can feel some subtle activity as the saliva breaks into the stems.

Will post results later.

The simplest answer to your question is, "very likely as it absorbs nicely through the mucous membranes of the mouth."

But here's the thing: Try it between your cheek and gum first cuz that may make you decide that you don't need such a pungent, spicy effect in your nether regions :P

Seriously, maybe just shelf some cayenne paste to induce an endorphin reaction while you're at it, lol :devil:

That mouth burning sensation is the other main reason I wanted to ask first :lol:

Oh bugger it, I'll try anyway :P

(I'll skip the Cayenne though heheh)

Works awesome in combo with a tiny bit of Herbalistics 'Buzz' (Kanna + Justicia) - Definitely had me feeling silly, plus double shot coffee - had me shaking after 3 hours even.

Will probably go 1 g. + a little coffee tomorrow.

Still wonder if anyone else has had the Iodine taste occur with theirs?

Starting to wonder if other forms of Crocus may be worth investigation >>>

Edited by neoshaman

Is it still available through the SAB store...?

You're better off finding somebody with Iranian (or surrounding countries) relatives who are travelling over to see family... as far as I've been told that stuff is the gear... especially for cooking.

various grades of spanish & kashmiri are very good also.

for example, for indian desserts/biriyanis, etc, the kashmiri is ideal.

as for recreational, best results i've had from the sargol SAB sold, but had good results also from some spanish stuff sold at an indian store.

Edited by coin

various grades of spanish & kashmiri are very good also.

for example, for indian desserts/biriyanis, etc, the kashmiri is ideal.

as for recreational, best results i've had from the sargol SAB sold, but had good results also from some spanish stuff sold at an indian store.

I purchased what was advertised as premium grade saffron on ebay just recently and it arrived a couple of days ago. Its marked as Kashmir Saffron. I managed about 20 threads with very little noticable effect, apart from a shocking after taste in my mouth. I guess I'm not a lover of saffron. I did try it then mixed with :bong: it didn't seem to me to improve on the quality of the other substance. Guess I better keep my eye out for some Sargol saffron. The cheap stuff just doesn't work...

Hutch

cheap stuff does not equal premium quality,ask for your money back anyhow as its not premium!

i found even cheap stuff had some effect esp smoked,maybe its your chemistry?

t s t .

cheap stuff does not equal premium quality,ask for your money back anyhow as its not premium!

i found even cheap stuff had some effect esp smoked,maybe its your chemistry?

t s t .

It only cost me a $1.04 and postage, should have guessed I suppose.... Newbie :blush:

I purchased what was advertised as premium grade saffron on ebay just recently and it arrived a couple of days ago. Its marked as Kashmir Saffron. I managed about 20 threads with very little noticable effect, apart from a shocking after taste in my mouth. I guess I'm not a lover of saffron. I did try it then mixed with :bong: it didn't seem to me to improve on the quality of the other substance. Guess I better keep my eye out for some Sargol saffron. The cheap stuff just doesn't work...

Hutch

um yeah, i was more talking about cooking. and yeah, when cooking, saffron is a "less is more" thing

genuine, quality kashmiri saffron should not be cheap...they dont make enough of it for much to leave the country anyway, plus i think they often have crop failures?

it's too essential for religious occasions

i generally see spanish saffron being sold in indian stores here in vic

Edited by coin

Hellooo..

apologies if the thread revival is annoying,

I was just wondering why Saffron (sargol or otherwise) started off with a such a bang, and then nothing much more?

There's enough info out there (here) to intrigue a person into chewing some saffron..

but I can't work out why 40 strands was the dose(?)

If its as good as half an Em Dee Em Aa dose,

why weren't ppl chewing 80 strands

ergh.. it'd still be well under 1.5g, toxic dose..

Any help?

Fanx

p.s

quality is determined by colour? I just found a gram for $6.50 :S its dark, dark red.. and i'm told its very fresh.

Please explain : )

Edited by mud

Good thread bump. We should get a few members together on here to do a bulk sargol buy. Who's in?

• Like 1

I was just wondering why Saffron (sargol or otherwise) started off with a such a bang, and then nothing much more?

supply problems as Iran started becoming more annoying than usual.

I am working on new sources. I hav also managed to source pure crocin and pure safranal, so am a bit more interested in experimenting with the pure constituents.

but I can't work out why 40 strands was the dose(?)

If its as good as half an Em Dee Em Aa dose,

why weren't ppl chewing 80 strands

Some substances don't multiply like that. If they are partial or weak agonists then they will only trigger so much of a release regardless of howmuch more you consume. 40 strands seemed to be a nice dose.

quality is determined by colour? I just found a gram for $6.50 :S its dark, dark red.. and i'm told its very fresh.

Please explain : )

Please read up more about it as this is well explained in this thread. Colour is only determined by the crocin. I am personally more interested in the safranal aspect of the substance.

that seems cheap

I bought some saffron from a little Indian place a while ago - it was cheaper than normal.

I got it home, infused some in water (it was for a dessert) - which went really dark red - it smelled strange - too perfumey - I tasted it & it was like some sort of flavour essence. I noticed the style (of which there was plenty) wasn't yellow but the same uniform red colour. I threw the rest in the bin. :)

i brought some saffron crocus bulbs from trademe and grew them at the bottom of the south island in new zealand.

i must admit i didnt have a great harvest, although i think that is mostly due to my cold climate and possibly planting them too late, they are meant to be an autumn flowerer and i put my bulbs down at the end of autumn.

NZ has some reasonably cheap saffron (and occasionaly bulbs) available and i would expect a much bigger harvest in a warmer climate.

if you can find the bulbs, then why the heck not grow it! even just for novelties sake