The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

IRC: Gonna do it right.

Hi guys!

O.k, a lot of people complained that they basically had no idea how to get onto IRC and talk to the people who could.

I'm tackling this problem head on, because frankly I think chat is awesome, and should have a place in this community.

How to get on IRC:

Using windows:

There are a number of clients under windows, namely mIRC.

However, the newest version of mIRC costs money.

You can download older version from www.oldversion.com (click on the mIRC link) which should be free.

If you want something a little different, you can get xchat2 for windows, here:

http://xc2free.9.forumer.com/index.php?act=home

Under linux:

If you're using linux, you know how to get onto irc :P

Using java:

Don't feel like downloading any software? Just want to hop on for a quick chat?

AustNet has an IRC client that runs inside your web browser and requires nothing but java.

http://www.austnet.org/chat/index.html

Once you have a client:

This is what you need to know.

Server: pacific.sg.austnet.org or au.austnet.org or njit.nj.us.austnet.org are the best servers, I've found.

EDIT: Torsten has asked me to update this section because I'm a dick and didn't realise everyone wasn't as nerdy as me.

Basically, you need to be on the austnet network to access #lab, if you connect to another network, you might get into a #lab, but it won't be the one we are all on.

Any server name ending in .austnet.org will put you on the austnet network. The server that will always work is au.austnet.org ...

Lastly, expect some delay. Austnet is frequently under attack and sometimes connection times can be rediculously slow! If it isn't working, you'll recieve an error message. If it is just sitting there, go grab a beer or something, and eventually it'll connect and you can proceed to the next part of the instructions :)

end of edit.

Pick a nickname. You can find me there as "Sina" (which is incidentally my name).

Channel: Fancy word for chatroom. In this case, everyone seems to be congregating in #lab.

How the fuck do I do what you just said?

When you load your IRC client (instructions for java users below), you should see a server window popup, or just a blank window with an "input text" line at the bottom.

If you can see austnet in the server window, simply double click it. Otherwise, type

code:

/server oneoftheserverslistedabove

Wait, it should say welcome to Austnet, then scroll with a bunch of (useless) information called MOTD.

Once it's done, you can change your nickname by typing

code:

/nick somedude

Lastly, you need to join the channel.

code:

/join #lab

If you're using the java chat, you don't need to select a server, just a nickname and put #lab into channel textbox.

Simple! Hope to see you all there, you can find me in there usually at night (EST) and if you post in here, I might even come and say hello during the day. I've had great chats with everyone who's turned up so far.

EDIT: I should mention the goodness of austnet lies in it's semi anonymous state, and if you use java there is no logging or storage of possibly incriminating files on your 'puter.

[ 18. July 2005, 01:37: Message edited by: apothecary ]

I know it is before your time.... and I do like the idea of these options being resurrected.... but we did have all this before, including links to mirc and the java version from the homepage.

actually, that's not true. It was VERY popular for a while. I was in there almost every night for a couple of months and so were quite a few other people. I don't really know why it happened, but it simply died. Then the channel disappeared, but no matter how often it was resurrected it kept failing. We persevered with irc for 2 or 3 years, but eventually I put up a cgi based version next to it. It was used occasionally and irc eventually just died completely. For a while the was virtually no interest in chat. But I guess it only takes 2 or 3 people to keep it going. Just like mojo(??), nozzle boy and myself kept irc going in those days, maybe apoth and a hanful of others will keep it going this time.

I won't remove the phpchat link, but am happy to put up other chat link info next to it.

Thelema, you'll find that plenty of people have been using it recently.

We even get occasional 5 second visits from hebrew!

However, I don't really feel the need to have a continuous chat going, just a place we can meet once a week to discuss things more freely and realtime than forums. :)

If you are a Firefox/Mozilla user you can install the ChatZilla extension. Just scroll down the page and click on the link to the latest version. Restart the browser and access it from the tools menu. :D

ChatZilla does not work on "native" Mozilla embeddings such as Galeon and K-Meleon. Same goes for Internet Explorer and probably Safari or any browser using the KHTML/webcore engine.

roflmao

good on ya apoth

let th ese drunkiin bastards know what the deal is

Is the java version of Austnet gonna work on 56K dialup, cause it never seems to for me?

D you need broadband to use it effectively? I wouldn't have thought so.

Firefox+chatzilla+56k works for me though the script takes a few goes to hook up...cya there :cool:

quote:

We even get occasional 5 second visits from hebrew!

LMAO

yeah whenever i want to go into chat i have to go and do father duties :D :D :D

one day i will be able to stay longer than 5 seconds! :P:P:P

when I was on 56K I used could not use the java applet for the previous chatroom. With IRC I had no problems.

Looks like i have been banned From Irc servers 4 sum reason... :(

here are the messages i recieve when trying to log on

"Closing Link: Young_Tripper by njit.nj.us.austnet.org (You are banned from this server. Email [email protected] for assistance)"

"njit.nj.us.austnet.org- (G) Banned from this via gline mask CPE-144-137-221-197.sa.bigpond.net.au : Banned from AustNet: Address Found on DNSBL (Open proxy)"

[ 02. August 2005, 08:44: Message edited by: Young Tripper ]

LMAO hahahah that sux Young Tripper i always enjoyed our very spaced out chats lol

^^^As do i ergo :D :P

I actually enjoy #lab chat alot and all u guys that hope on :D have some great convos :)

Oh Sina where art thou.....

Can anyone give me any help???

this is not the last #lab has seen of YT :P :confused:

erm, im in there,finally, and no 1 is chatting??

is my connection o.k??

or am i just really unpopular?? :P

This is bollocks hahahha

Hey Apothecary if you read this could you plz give me sum help i am no longer able to get on #lab or any Irc server for that matter... some open proxy crap and i dunno how to fix it any help would be much appreciated :)

code:

hey

a friend of mine has been banned

"njit.nj.us.austnet.org- (G) Banned from this via gline mask CPE-144-137-221-197.sa.bigpond.net.au : Banned from AustNet: Address Found on DNSBL (Open proxy)"

but he doesnt know what he did wrong

please ask them to email [email protected] :) an IRCOp should help you there.

:D Thanks Apothecary, Email on the way