The Corroboree
waterboy 2.0

Glow in the dark log project

A gift came my way today from an old mate, a little Panellus stipticus "habitat" kit.

Marketed as for reptile enclosures/terrariums. Not the strangest gift I've received....but the

gift of bioluminescence is pretty cool...lol

Some minor glow on the plugs, so thats a good sign for the strain supplied.

So a small "log" (40cm long) of eucalypt acquired, and the drilling, banging and sealing done, with two sore fingers from the little man getting over enthusiastic and smashing me a good one ...lol.

Will set out in the shadehouse for the winter/spring, keeping an eye out for when it runs out to the ends.

Will see how how it ends up producing down the time line.

DSCF2197_zps7971ce1c.jpg

• Like 11

wow, nice kit.

keen for updates already lol :D

Very cool!

I remember reading that you can make P.stipticus glow much brighter by lowering the pH (i.e. making more acidic) of the substrate.

• Like 3

Thats awesome.

Please do post updates!

I remember reading that you can make P.stipticus glow much brighter by lowering the pH (i.e. making more acidic) of the substrate.

That's true! Soaking a fully colonized substrate block in a vinegar solution for 24 hours will make the mycelium glow really strong! Getting the log to fruit probably won't be easy, so it's a good thing that the mycelium glows as well.

You guys in subtropical Australia have several beautifull glowing Mycena species, very rare or absent everywhere else in the world, that are somewhat of a 'glowing holy grail' to many mushroom enthusiasts! If you ever come acoss it, that is definitely one worth culturing and spreading around!

• Like 3

Down the cold end we also have Omphalotus nidiformis - ghost fungus as well.

Will see how the neglect it for the winter and see how it fares approach will work. If it works to the ends a dunk at the right time (to be established) should see it pin. If it runs well through the wood, I'll find a way to fruit it...lol

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 3

That is a very cool project. I may have to imitate it

i've always been meaning to try and give it a go with O. nidiformis

they grow everywhere in my area theres plenty of specimens to make cultures from

i think a few people were after cultures i'll try my best to get some done this year

• Like 3

Is it done yet? How about now?
You guys have hit upon a favourite topic of mine, and if anyone can get prints from bioluminescent fungi, I will always be very interested.
Should have got prints from the presumed Omph that is in my profile pic, but forgot to back later! :(

• Like 1

The kit is a cool idea.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

You guys in subtropical Australia have several beautifull glowing Mycena species, very rare or absent everywhere else in the world, that are somewhat of a 'glowing holy grail' to many mushroom enthusiasts! If you ever come acoss it, that is definitely one worth culturing and spreading around!

Numinbah has at least 2 Mycena spp that glow green, ghost mushrooms Omphalotus nidiformis (mostly in drier more open spots) and an odd coraline critter that glows a pale blue/green that is occasionally found in the vicinity of the taller Mycena sp.

No idea what the last one is & i've not been able to find it in any book but they are pretty amazing to see.

All these and the glow worms along the creek make it pretty surreal at night after rain.

• Like 2

This is awesome.

I've found some kits on ebay from the USA, but have no idea if this kind of thing is allowed to be brought into the country. Any one know if they'd make it through customs?

Awesome, I went to LH island last year and they had luminous mushrooms there, also luminous algae that washes up on the shore at night in the NT

Is it done yet? How about now?

You guys have hit upon a favourite topic of mine, and if anyone can get prints from bioluminescent fungi, I will always be very interested.

Should have got prints from the presumed Omph that is in my profile pic, but forgot to back later! :(

yeh those are definately O. nidiformis in your profile pic

• Like 1

are they sure these are safe for reptiles, incase they eat them?

Shortly, by "coraline" do you mean like a Ramaria or something?

So yesterday i found another big O. nidiformis on a tree in the front yard again

third year in a row now i'll try snap some shots tomorrow night then i'll chop it up and make a bunch of cultures to pass around

• Like 3

Shortly, by "coraline" do you mean like a Ramaria or something?

Yep except that they only seem to branch at their base unlike most of the pics of Ramaria where they often branch in the top third.

There weren't any to photograph last weekend, to cool & to dry i suspect.

Not even many cube's.

Or even a single glow worm to be found :(

• Like 1

So yesterday i found another big O. nidiformis on a tree in the front yard again

third year in a row now i'll try snap some shots tomorrow night then i'll chop it up and make a bunch of cultures to pass around

I'd be very interested in buying a culture from you.

• Like 1

Naja - P.stipticus is considered inedible rather than poisonous. Apparently they are very bitter and its unlikely humans will mung them by choice...lol.

But yeah it was what this one was promoted for, I dunno if a reptile would eat it ...they have to be pretty hungry or bored possibly. Its not a claim I'd go with though unless sure, wouldn't want to kill someones possibly very expensive animal.

Edited by waterboy

Update - looks like the myc has now run through the sapwood to the ends of the log :)

Might get to see some action soon enough.

• Like 3

Im just about to start this project :) just waiting for it to warm up a bit. Keep us updated