The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

Perception of time

I find it interesting that sometimes when I drink a shit load of coffee it feels like time has sped up a little - time at work flies, time on the weekend even more so. its like the perception of time is increased.

I wonder - has anyone ever found something that altered their perception of time by slowing it down? I wonder??

• Like 1

Salvinorin a- 10 mins can seem like a few days!!

^

Oh god :o

Time stretches for me but doesn't often speed up.

It stretches in the most unbearable way sometimes when you are waiting for something, or trying to avoid thinking about something.

This extension can take place while engaging in riveting conversation too, and its moments like those that you realise just how much potential you waste in every minute.

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 1

The older I get, the faster the days pass. I don't like it.

• Like 6

Places do it too. Time slows to a crawl at Eudlo.

The reason every year seems to happen faster than the previous is because each year becomes less of a percentage of your life e.g. When you are four a year is a quarter of your existence, when you are forty a year is 1/40th of your existence and so on.

They say the perception of time is connected to how much you enjoy whatever you are doing.

If you have a sexy young girl sitting on your lap then time seems to fly, but if you are stuck beneath a house cleaning sewerage out of a shit pipe then times drags on.

Maybe some of those grumpy old cunts are on to something, if everything sucks then your life will seem to last for ages

• Like 1

I've had multiple experiences where time slowed down to a stop, and when it did, I tangentially went off in another direction for a bit, before returning to this timeline. Hard to explain, but I feel that time is the axis for a set of 3 three dimensions, as in: experientially we're plummeting along a 'timeline' in 3d which is our reality - a few things can slow it down or speed it up, which causes your perception of your 3d space to warp a bit; sight, sound, feeling etc. go a bit weird, which is fun (if you're into that sort of thing). But when you take it to the extreme, your perception of time slows so much that you can get a feel for what beings that live on a different timescale experience, such as a tree that may live for 1000 years, you're in the 3d reality it would experience as 'normal'. For x amount of minutes in your local time, you're living in a 1000 year lifecycle 3d space. Its so out of the ordinary that it's hard to find the words to accurately depict what I'm trying to say :)

Edited by IndianDreaming

^^^ yup, nfi what you just said... Lol

• Like 1

Lot’s of caffeine makes my day fly, it is kind of odd how we usually consider time going fast as a good thing though, since if you think about it, its another day of your whole entire life.

Interestingly though, according to physics time slows down the faster you go, so drinking lots of coffee probably actually slows time down.

Edited by SunChaser
  • Like 1

Gilligan: Lol - neither do I really, but we've been brought up to believe that time is 'constant' and that it ticks at a certain rate, and I just don't think that is accurate. Looking at the work of the scientific elite and frames of reference, we're each experiencing our own time, and unless someone is physically co-located in your 3d space - their perception of time is different to yours; even if it is just by 2.9 x 10^-8 seconds, give or take a few hundred billionths of a second...

SunChaser: Sounds like you could do with a change of job...

Edited by IndianDreaming

dreams, the shallow ones you get in between snooze-hits of the alarm, or any other time when you're blinking in and out of dreamspace. i frequently experience lengthy forays in dreamspace and i can say for certain that i was awake just a few minutes earlier. it can happen so many times in twenty minutes of re-snoozing, no wonder i'd rather stay in bed.

• Like 4

Someone had to.

• Like 1

JUST SAY NO!

seriously though... have had it happen on lucy but certainly can't be predicted.
  • Like 3

I am a 972 year old space traveler. I am here to prevent release of the "two girls and a cup" virus ... stayed dormant

for nearly 500 years. We suspect that someone here clicked on it... okay I lied, but we're not here to discuss time or any other dimension for that matter.... wait matter.. time is not matter

but, its only a matter of time

What does your clock say inside a black hole?
Does your clock exist inside a black hole?

are we inside a black whole?

I think we perceive light, not time, and we dress it up in other things like time, age, the revolving axis

the great wheel, the great year, the pretty colors, east west up down north south salt and pepper

and still the star light travel millions and billions of light years, just to hit the back of your "I"

and yet some fuckers still don't have "time" to appreciate it...

smh

• Like 1

time is possible to track because of the mathematical electromagnetical functions of the solar system and the universe...

it's why clockwork

Richard Feynman is fun to watch, if you like physics and the intricacies of time from a mathematical law-reversibility viewpoint.

• Like 1

time is possible to track because of the mathematical electromagnetical functions of the solar system and the universe...

it's why clockwork

It is.

dreams, the shallow ones you get in between snooze-hits of the alarm, or any other time when you're blinking in and out of dreamspace. i frequently experience lengthy forays in dreamspace and i can say for certain that i was awake just a few minutes earlier. it can happen so many times in twenty minutes of re-snoozing, no wonder i'd rather stay in bed.

They're the best! So many minutes in one! Now all i have to do is figure out a way to stretch it by turning off my alarm from within my dreamscape...
Whenever someone is curious about the effects of Salvia on the human mind i always caution them that if they choose to accept, it may result in living on an alien planet for hundreds of years: http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=63900 . A short one but a good one!
Edited by Frank leDank
  • Like 1

it's why clockwork

Physicists would disagree with the above statement... Also - if you're on the surface of the earth, and you sit one clock on top of another one, they run at different speeds and show different times, so clocks don't actually work very well, they do work, but they're different in different locations...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation

Edited by IndianDreaming

Small scale or large scale fluctuations in the space time continuum would be very hard to track. Large scale fluctuations would cause many of the 'constants' to speed up or slow down in sync with our localised perception of time so would we rally know if they were even occurring? Small scale fluctuations are probably more noticeable if they do in fact occur.

Time dilation and time tangents are two of my all time favourite topics to speculate upon. Dreams and 'mystical' experiences certainly lend some credence to the notion of time tangents.

I think it may well be possible to experience more than 80 or so years of Earth time through states of non-ordinary reality. One of my lifelong experiments is to see how my perception of experienced chronological reality stacks up when I'm at the end of the line at the end of time.

• Like 2

I often wonder if time is even real or just some sort of construct that our mind perceives to make sense of things - although we age I guess so that seems to indicate wear and tear over a measurable period...

I remember as a kid reading alien abduction books and a frequent report was the change in the perception of time/missing time and even comments from supposed alien abductees that some aliens come from a 'timeless' environment. Weird.

I definitely find that caffeine really speeds things up. Great at work but my last weekend felt like it just zoomed past at high speed.

However I don't find calming agents slow down the perception of time significantly other than perhaps weed maybe? Not really sure.

Perhaps hard psychedelics might fuck with your perception significantly? I guess you can understand why something disassociative like Salvia would.

of course indian dreaming, everything I speculate about does not apply when near or inside a black whole

but for the record, my language is uber coded, only a super high degree illuminist, a lucky mason or a natural mystic

would be able to decipher the coded message I have lain b4 your eyes.. we time travelers we speak in code cause in the future everyone

became a frater, but still In this frequency, I recognize the need to wind up my clock every now and again

I gno time is more like a curved surface... quite rough it can be just to move around but on the surface appears smooth as a baby's butt!

I have an atomically set clock, and im pretty sure they all work atomically

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_clock

tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick

don't take me all too seriously, unless you know the code of course ;)

I am feeling rather Stephen Colbertish this morning

• Like 1

on a more realistic front

time is intangible.. its kinda like light... really not manipulable (though our ego's might want to all it that) but when we get into the topic of dna, all of a sudden becomes quite quirky.... you can't like, keep it in a bottle, it just moves too fast!!!! its not time if it doesn't keep moving right?

Time is another dimension, similar to light, the only difference being, light is something we can see, but which does not have atomic mass... the mind, for the purposes of navigating through this plane of existence, wished to make it a straight line, but in fact we are really on a big sphere going in circles! I guess everybody knows that if you travel at the speed of light, then you become timeless ... and that's my secret for saving a bundle on airfare :P

I read this really interesting article before about how its really impossible to draw a perfect square
(don't tell the Frater Mammon I said this) ... that because of the curves in the time space continuum.. even if you laid

out the most flat piece of paper, by the time you get to connecting the 4th point on the square, the position

of the time space continuum, or whatever, has already adjusted enough to where one instead of drawing a perfect

square, has drawn an open square, and thus there is a circle inside the square, I guess ...

but anyhow I read up on that when an atheists once told me that physicists already know the shape of the universe

and I was like pssssssh ,,, yeah right... its just as bad to make a religion of science cause making a religion of anything is capable of holding someone in the past, but i'll keep the remainder of that opinion of mine for the spirituality thread or something eh :P

Edited by Spine Collector
  • Like 1

^That's an interesting point about the square!

There's a really good description of that effect in one of Feynman's books, I think the book is called 6 not so easy things - and he talks about little bugs living in a 2d world, a sphere and a hotplate - it's quite cute - and goes a bit like this: A little bug can tell if his world is curved by measuring the angle of a triangle... In a 2d world, a triangle has 3 x 60 degree angles. In a spherical world, a triangle can have 3 x 90 degree angles! But: If the bug is living on a hotplate that is hotter in the middle and gets colder the further out he goes towards the edge of the hotplate, his little ruler expands in the middle and contracts on the edge - and given the right temperature change, his triangle can have 3 right angles too (3 x 90 degrees)...

If you look at time as another dimension, and let it accelerate continually instead of being linear - you can do away with 'the expansion of the universe' and big-bang theory, and see it as time is increasing, not the physical dimensions expanding. It makes a lot more sense than everything speeding away from itself physically... If you use todays time as your clock, and you look into the past, it'll be blobby and slow down the further you go. Shulgin writes about it quite well in his BBB v's IOU description of the universe - Tihkal.

• Like 1