The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
botanika

RPG games

I'll admit I'm a sucker for classic RPG games. Anyone else?

On console I like Skyrim, Dark Souls (it's a bastard of a game!) and the Dragon Age series the most. Fallout3 also good. I love the open world, detail and freedom of Skyrim but it's almost a little too 'realistic'. I wish it had more saturated colors and exagerated landscapes to it like Dragon Age or some MMO worlds along with better storylines and NPC's. It feels like Im walking around Colorado on my own rather than another world with a group of interesting NPC's. There's some others too like Fable, Witcher 2 and Dragons Dogma.

On PC I have dabbled with WOW, Diablo 3, Torchlight and a few free to play games like Tribes, D&D online, Tera and Arcane Saga. MMO's are a little tricky to get into for me and the landscapes somewhat empty but I love the detail you can go into with your character.

Back in the day I used to love Baldurs Gate 2, Diablo 2 and Neverwinter nights 2. Hopefuly the next gen of gaming will create some interesting HD worlds and experience.

• Like 2

i've played many games haha. the witcher games were great, dragon age origins was great. dragon age 2 was booooring... so much politics. all of bethesda's recent games have been great, including the fallout series and elder scrolls series. the assassin's creed games were fun, but repetitive. i've avoided WoW on principle (paying to play a game you already payed for???), but i was in to guild wars 2 for a while.

diablo 2 was my favourite game for many years. i've spent a large portion of my life playing that game.

but diablo 3 crushed my hopes and dreams. huge disappointment, gg blizzard you ruined the best game ever made

also nintendo rpgs were awesome, ex. super mario, zelda series, etc

Have you played Path of Exile? http://pathofexile.com/

This by far my favorite game right now.

I really dug skyrim, I just felt terrible playing a game for 3 hours a day :( loved the graphics.

yes! i forgot about it. it's low budget, but it's more the game diablo 3 should have been. really great passive tree

• Like 1

yes! i forgot about it. it's low budget, but it's more the game diablo 3 should have been. really great passive tree

That's almost exactly how I recently described it to someone else - the game that D3 should have been.

• Like 1

dragon age origins was great. dragon age 2 was booooring...diablo 2 was my favourite game for many years. i've spent a large portion of my life playing that game.

but diablo 3 crushed my hopes and dreams. huge disappointment, gg blizzard you ruined the best game ever made

Totally agree, I hope they make Dragon Age 3 more about exploring rather than running up and down the same steps of one city. It almost seemed like every quest in DA2 was finding someone importants son or daughter...who all seemed to have become evil mages.

Diablo3 was definately dissapointing especially considering the time it took to make/release and it's expectations. Shame really as the graphics and sound were fairly polished at least up until end of act 1 and 2. I only ever played diablo3 on a taiwanese server...in chinese...because blizzard won't let me play another region ...or language...or honor me a international digital download version key. Farkers. Torchlight 1 and 2 are apparently made by the same people and offer better gameplay with no auction house rubbish. But more stylized simpler graphics.

I have only just downloaded it on the weekend so I'm still stuck on the beach clubbing zombies. Seems like a lot of them.

I'd like to get into Neverwinter but their servers don't support where I live.

I thought you were talking about 'real' RPGs. With dice, players handbooks and the all important stats. I was just about to embarrass myself and reel off all the games i used to play. I still would if I had the time and friends to play with.

Edited by watertrade
  • Like 6

I haven't played an involved computer game for ages! My gaming heyday was the late 80's. I loved Curse of Azure Bonds on the C64 and could play it from beginning to end over and over. Pool of Radiance, Champions of Krynn and so on. I played the Eye of the Beholder series quite a bit too but never liked them as much as the turn by turn based games. I just don't have the time or enjoy many of the newer games. Maybe it was the slow nature of them that I liked. Now, if someone updated the graphics but kept the game play the same I'd be happy to play them all over again.

Im an ex World of warcraft and Aion junkie. Worst addiction iv ever had in my life.

• Like 3

Im an ex World of warcraft and Aion junkie. Worst addiction iv ever had in my life.

I hear ya.

• Like 1

Fallout 3 was the worst addiction of my life

• Like 1

I absolutely loved Skyrim, I still play it every now and then but my studies were effected by my profession as a full time dovakin so now I play it much less. I went through a WoW phase, I didn't find it as addictive as some and I definitely miss late night dungeons and ganking noobs on the crossroads and stuff. Morrowind was another favourite. I'm considering The Elder Scrolls Online when it comes out but part of me thinks I'll get real addicted to it so I probably shouldn't.

I thought you were talking about 'real' RPGs. With dice, players handbooks and the all important stats. I was just about to embarrass myself and reel off all the games i used to play. I still would if I had the time and friends to play with.

I never played much real RPG's when I was a kid but I always loved borrowing the TSR books from the library...I was more into the art...Jeff Eazley and Larry Elmore...I still remember the artists names...but sitting around rolling dice was not as much fun as going out into the forest with a stick or BMX.

• Like 1

I never played much real RPG's when I was a kid but I always loved borrowing the TSR books from the library...I was more into the art...Jeff Eazley and Larry Elmore...I still remember the artists names...but sitting around rolling dice was not as much fun as going out into the forest with a stick or BMX.

Keith Parkinson is another one that comes to mind........

gladius on the original xbox

....lost a hefty chunk of my life to that game

Larry Elmore was king! I used to read a bunch of those TSR books back then. Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance..... Cried for Sturm Brightblade :(

I got into this more last night and it's good...and it's free...but the graphics are a little uninspiring even though they are high res. The camera angle feels weird and everything is almost too 'photographic'. There's no feeling of being immersed in the broader surroundings.

I'm also unclear how monsters respawn or don't. When I cleared an area and went back during a mission the monsters would not re-spawn but then after a mission and having been back to town I would have to trek through the same area and it would be full of monsters again. Rather than fight them yet again, because I had completed the level, I would just run through to the next stage, unhurt, but with 100 monsters following me! Then the portal scrolls let you get back to town but not back to where you set the scroll. Maybe Im doing something wrong but I will easily get bored of running through areas to get to the next stages from town, with monsters chasing, to get to the next area. I'd rather see a teleport to new areas.

Anyway pretty cool for a free (at the moment) game though.

• Like 1

The portal scrolls do let you go back from town to where you set the scroll, but I have noticed that they do disappear if you leave it too long. I think that empty instances are closed after something like 8 minutes, but sometimes it seems quicker than that. Monsters seem to re-spawn when an instance is re-set. Also, have you been opening the waypoints? There is normally one in every second level or so, but they can be hard to find.

Likewise, the exit to the next level can be well hidden in some dungeons - which is really frustrating if you have to run around a level you have previously cleared trying to find he way out because you know the next level will have a waypoint and you have run out of portal scrolls :)

I also agree that the graphics could be tweaked a bit, but that is not such a big thing for me - I was still playing D2 18 moths ago and I still occasionally play Civ IV (Fall from Heaven II mod - look it up).

It is cool though that such a low budget production (from NZ!) can yield a game that, in my humble opinion, sh#ts all over D3, in terms of game design if not graphics. I'm looking forward to the full release in October and will probably sling the developers a few $'s if it continues to be as good.

The portal scrolls do let you go back from town to where you set the scroll, but I have noticed that they do disappear if you leave it too long. I think that empty instances are closed after something like 8 minutes, but sometimes it seems quicker than that. Monsters seem to re-spawn when an instance is re-set. Also, have you been opening the waypoints? There is normally one in every second level or so, but they can be hard to find.

Likewise, the exit to the next level can be well hidden in some dungeons - which is really frustrating if you have to run around a level you have previously cleared trying to find he way out because you know the next level will have a waypoint and you have run out of portal scrolls :)

I also agree that the graphics could be tweaked a bit, but that is not such a big thing for me - I was still playing D2 18 moths ago and I still occasionally play Civ IV (Fall from Heaven II mod - look it up).

It is cool though that such a low budget production (from NZ!) can yield a game that, in my humble opinion, sh#ts all over D3, in terms of game design if not graphics. I'm looking forward to the full release in October and will probably sling the developers a few $'s if it continues to be as good.

Funny I had not checked where it was made but was thinking it could have been australian or NZ because of some of the accents!

Thanks for the tips...I did open a few way points but when I go to the world map and click on things nothing comes up signalling I can instantly zap there. I'll ty muck about with the portal scrolls more.

Know any other good 2D/3D ARPG's out there? I usually prefer first person like Skyrim but they are far and few between.

Witcher 3 - looks fantastic

Fallout 1-3 were among my favourite games ever. I felt that 3 failed to capture the humour of 1 & 2, but was still a great game, very engaging with all the factions etc - the "New Vegas" expansion even more so, such a challenge not to make enemies with every move you make. Botanika, if you never played the first two, and want a really good 2D RPG, check them out. You can buy them and many other classics here, or on Steam.

It's been a rainy weekend so I tried out the free Torchlight 2 demo - I'd totally recommend it for anyone who liked Diablo 1-2 (I refuse to play 3 on principle - fuck you Blizzard!), quite similar but they have tweaked a few things to make it more fun to play - you don't have to spend quite as much time juggling your inventory or hoarding gems :lol:

Edited by Anodyne
  • Like 1

Diablo 1-2 (I refuse to play 3 on principle - fuck you Blizzard!)

good move!

fukken actiblizzard :slap:

Also while it's not really a RPG (in fact it's a completely railroaded FPS), Bioshock is one of the most... I think the word is "immersive"? ... games that I've ever seen. The story is so good that you can get way more involved than you would in many RPGs where you get to design the character yourself. Great gameplay too, with some creative weapons & interesting powers.