The Corroboree
Bigred

addicted to Coke

I have a raging coca cola habbit, when i dont drink it i get very stropy

some days i drink 5 cans. After seeing that advert for sugar content in

bevereges i need to quit .

any tips to kick my habbit

Check out the coffee addiction threadhttp://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30876

• Like 1

if you can switch to sugar free, it'd be a start. may not like sugar free but its better than 5 insulin spikes a day.

I wouldn't touch any sugar free soft drink with a stick. :puke:

Red you might have to decide if you want to keep drinking coke or not. If not it might be worth enduring a few days of hell (yeah ok its likely to be the better part of a week) than dick around the edges of your addiction.

• Like 7

I wouldn't touch anything sugar free

From what ive seen the artificial sweeteners are heaps more addictive than the real thing.

PUT SUM RUM IN IT !!

• Like 4

well if you want to become more and more insulin resistant, then keep eating sugars and watch that bodyfat pile onto you physique.

then that bodyfat starts a chain reaction, one major one being sleep apnoea, then your healing and hormonal respose is completely compromised and diabetes is just around the corner. and another 30kgs of fat.

OR

drink water... yeah right, like the OP will do that. he wouldn't need a post if it were that easy.

OR

go sugar-free as a short term, get insulin response back, keep bodyfat low while treating the real addiction in coca cola, aka caffeine.

man i'm a hippy at heart, but sometimes you gotta go with science and not just blanket ban things like sugar-free sweetener.

• Like 4

For the first week or so i'd suggest you find a healthier alternative that can distract you from your coke craving.. Try find a really nice juice (must b caffiene free! guava and apple juice is awesome, aloe juice, peach water, coconut water, anything really) and just wean yourself off coke. You might find you soon ''NEED'' your alternative choice, but this will be a psychological addiction not a physical one.

Things like coke, ciggies, coffee, junk-food etc, become props for us to make us feel better, like we are constantly getting little rewards and treats from life.. Once you get through the caffiene withdrawals THIS will be what you will miss, so think ahead of positive ways to reward yourself.

• Like 4

man i'm a hippy at heart, but sometimes you gotta go with science and not just blanket ban things like sugar-free sweetener.

And common sense prevails!

Personally I wouldn't touch anything with over 30 grams of sugar, I'm drinking my 7 calorie can of sugar free red bull right now though.

I have a raging coca cola habbit, when i dont drink it i get very stropy

some days i drink 5 cans. After seeing that advert for sugar content in

bevereges i need to quit .

any tips to kick my habbit

i was a mother freak!!! not your mother lol!! 1 500ml can b4 work 1 @ lunch and a pulse can on my way home ! this went on 4 bout a year .

started getting high heart rate, anxiety, jitters , soooo i cut back to 1 mother in the morning 4 awhile then i down sized the can to 275 or what ever the small cans r??? change to suger free vs!! now i just buy gurana powder and add it to a good juice and slam it down @ lunch . [ only drink it if @ work]

• Like 2

i think im going to with lemon lime bitters and make it with soda water. After a hard days

work in the sun i just need that something to quench my thirst i love this

charlies lemonade but it is packed with sugar . with artificial sweeteners i have heard they

cause cancer as well.but short term exposure should not be a issue to my health

when i was a kid i remember meeting a botanist friend of my dad's and he always brought

me a cool plant know and then . Once he brought over this asian plant used to sweeten

things , never knew the name would love to know if anyone out there has a clue about it

Edited by bigred82
  • Like 1

I love a can of coke at 2pm religiously at work, icy cold gives me a pick me up of sugar and caffeine and u gotta admit, tastes nice! If the drink machine is busted I go postal.

• Like 3

when i was a kid i remember meeting a botanist friend of my dad's and he always brought

me a cool plant know and then . Once he brought over this asian plant used to sweeten

things , never knew the name would love to know if anyone out there has a clue about it

Your not talking about stevia are you? I think it originates from south America, but its apparently popular in japan as a sugar substitute.

Anyway, a nice natural juice could be a good option. But you want to be careful, because a lot of fruit juice is sweetened with massive amounts of sugar and you could just be going from the witch to the bitch.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if there were some long-term negative effects from using artificial sweeteners. But seriously, in this day and age it’s probably easier to name the food products that aren’t bad for you, rather than the ones that are bad for you, with all the chemicals that get added to our foods these days.

At the end of the day, the hands down the most healthiest drink there is, is still good old water. You seriously do feel so much better for it, after a day of downing nothing but water, it makes your skin look tight and youthful and is 100% calorie free.

EDIT- Sorry bogfrog just saw your post.

Edited by jabez
  • Like 2

All good,

I tried buying stevia to curb my boyfriend's terrible sugar addiction,

he reckoned it tatsed bitter but i couldn't tell the difference. Now i just sneak it into his coffee and he is none the wiser.

• Like 1

its probably mainly the caffeine that is the addictive quality but it may also be the massive amounts of sugar. As others have said maybe ween onto the diet stuff (its dodgy and has been linked with cardiovascular events but short term is ok) then swap the coke for something else caffeinated.

I find coffee at work too much and gives me a head ache (but strangely have no trouble with it on holidays) and tea can be very drying. So i can understand why people start drinking cans of coke at work but the ones that do it tend to rely on it quickly for what ever reason...

• Like 1

Im not a huge fan of caffeine despite being reliant on it at times. I think its like any drug taken over time chronically - the body gets used to relying on it.

i don't know about anyone else but i find those energy drinks just make me tired (like max, red bull etc), plus they taste like shit.

as for kicking the habit, why don't you just stop?

• Like 2

5 cans a day?.. I must be really bad. I usually have a 500mL energy drink for breakfast, two or three cans throughout the day, usually a large post-mix coke at lunch time, then another 2-3 cans when I

get home from work. I really need to cut down :\

And yea, when I don't get my caffeine/sugar hit, I get nasty.

I've found once you've stopped drinking any sugar drinks you lose the urge to drink them.

I gave up for two years, then started smoking weed which made me steal little sips every now and then, getting a taste for sugar and slowly relapsed.

I honestly don't think coca cola is addictive... certain lifestyles are addictive.

• Like 1

My resident therapist says that if you're ready to give the sugary caffeinated drinks the flick you should give emotional freedom technique - tapping a go for reducing the withdrawal symptoms.

There are heaps of youtube vid's if you care to google up a few

replace coke 4 the real coke! unsweetened of coarse :devil:

• Like 1