The Corroboree
fydesvindico

Moving country failure/ rant

So i've recently moved to NZ from Australia to try and better my life... I moved here with my partner as it seemed like a good idea at the time, but as it turns out it was a rather instantaneous and reckless decision.

As it was proving rather difficult to study in Aus, being a NZ citizen by birth (Born in Aus but to NZ parents) it seemed like it might be allot easier to settle in to study here and have a nice cruisy, student life. However; the NZ minimum wage is terrible, everything is overpriced, and it actually turns out to be hell of a lot harder to study!

You are classified as a youth here until you're 24, which means that it's up to your parents to pay for your study unless there is no contact whatsoever with so called parents... you are eligible for independent youth allowance, but only if you fit into a few categories! Even if there is only one parent around (as in my case) the forms to fill out are as follows...

- There is a breakdown in the relationship between the student and their other parent, and contact now would have a detrimental psychological effect on either the student or that parent.

- The other parent (or their spouse) has physically or sexually abused the student.

- The other parent is in prison or under an inpatient order under the mental health act 1992, and is unable to be responsible for the student.

- I am the only students living parent.

- There are other special circumstances that demonstrate that the relationship has so broken down that the student should be considered independent from the other parent.

(the last one actually needs to have been documented by a doctor/ psychiatrist, police officer, councilor etc.. and the situation has to have been known, and documented for at least 12 months).

...And, if the parent/s earn more than a specified amount per year (as in my partners case) they are not eligible, and therefor the parents are to pay for it.... unless you fit into any of the categories above... So it turned out to be way harder to qualify in NZ than Aus.. which was one of the main reasons we even moved here!!!

Although this all proved extremely difficult, I was accepted in the end, and managed to get past all this mumbo jumbo... until I stumbled into the extremely ridiculous price of living! Rent is just stupid! I'm talking like $350 - $400 for 1 or 2 bedroom houses in my university area! We live about 1 and a half hours from uni in the middle of nowhere for $255p/w.. Which isn't too bad, but when you accommodate for petrol which is about $2.20 on a good day, it's costing at least $80 in petrol a day, 5 days a week!! with a $13.49 p/h job! sucks.. I wont even get into the price of food!

Anyways, we've been thinking, and reckon it's gonna be a hell of a lot easier to just move back to Aus... It was a good experience, and we gave it a go... it just sucks we spent so much money trying something new and ended up with nothing from it! We also originally moved to get away from our lives that weren't really going anywhere in aus, our shitty jobs, shitty friends etc... just to stumble back into it! but in a different country! So rather than move back to where we came from, we're thinking about giving a Melb a go! ...So be prepared for a "WANTED: help with accommodation in Melb" topic!! haha!

anyways, end rant! So much more I could unload, but think it would be unreasonable... so blah!

I moved to chch for similar reasons.

We became homesick and wanted to go back after a short time, but we decided to stay and give it a go.

Like most things in life, it was a mix of highs and lows, but I had some of the most amazing and transformative experiences of my life there, and am so glad we moved there. Seeds were sown in my mind that are now only beginning to bloom and bear beautiful fruit.

glad we moved back before the quakes!

Edited by chilli

Hey fyn, sorry to hear things have been so crappy for you guys.

I have been jumping through all those hoops for a few years now and have had to get statements from psychiatrists and various family members just to get $180 per week to live of, its fucking shit everything that they put you through for PEANUTS!

So i can totally understand your frustration.

Not to mention if you try to get on the unemployment benefit you have a nine week stand-down period with no income at all, and now you have to pass a drug test and they even can encourage you to become 'sterlised' so you can't have kids and put more strain on the system.

They also expect new mums to begin work again just 2 months after having their baby and their child goes into ece care.

The way they treat you is disgusting i have left winz crying many times and im never the only one.

Its fucked up and only getting more so the longer john key is our PM.

Sorry to add more rant to your rant, fair enough that you are outa here, i hope the move brings you the happiness and prosperity you were seeking.

@ chiili; good to hear you got out before the quakes! Christchurch was our 1st preference when moving here, but since we didn't really have any family down that way it just seemed easier to move to the north island... The south island is beautiful, and we will be sure to make a trip down there before we leave as my partner hasn't gotten to experience it yet. all in all, It is a stunning country! (scenery wise), its a pity that the beauty doesn't make up for the other, less attractive aspects of it :(

Bogfrog, sounds like you've been there, done that too.. it's sad how the government treats its people over here; I thought Aus had it bad, but after experiencing life here, I have seen that it can be allot worse! We have also experienced Work and Incomes wrath! We recently took on full time work, which was set up through work and income... They set us up as the taxi driver, as we were the only one with a car and license in the area... so we had to car pool for an hour with a car load of alcoholic drug addicts smoking bongs and getting pissed on the way to work every day before our recently purchased car fucked out... work and income couldn't help with the costs of fixing it, so after leaving the job since there was no transport (and we were not getting in the car with any of these people, let me tell you!) they advised us that we had "put ourselves into hardship" and that we would have a 13 week stand down before receiving any benefit from them.. so we've had to give our 3 weeks notice and accept the fact we will loose our bond since we have no rent for the 3 weeks... fun fun!

edit* and I can't believe they can encourage you to become 'sterlised' ...so crazy. and expecting new mums to begin work again just 2 months of having their baby is so fucked! ...crazy crazy world/ country!

Edited by fydesvindico

Mental isn't it.

And when they find you a job it gets worse!

Thats horrible, being forced to take that shit job fucked up your opportunities here , i really feel for you and your partner and every other person and family who has to deal with winz.

The only job i was offered through winz was when i was 18, i went to the interview terrified that i would get it cause it was at a sleazy sports bar in the centre of town that i was expected to work 10pm - 6am and the boss told me at the interview that he thought i seemed like someone who wanted to please him so i should wear low cut tops, skirts above my knees and high heels when i was working for him.

I refused the job and they were actually supposed to cut my benefit for turning down work but i managed to shut them up quite quickly when i explained what the interview felt like.

How is anyone meant to ever get ahead? I mean im studying now so i can find a job in 2 years time which i'll perhaps get $18 per hour when i start, and to do that i have to borrow $20,000, which will take atleast eight to ten years full time work to pay back.

Wheres the opportunity for enjoying life?

Cant you rack up huge hex or simular?

I hear if you move back to Aus, you would never have to pay your NZ hex

I feel your pain bog. Thats disgusting how someone can treat another human being like that.... I think thats the big question: "wheres the opportunity for enjoying life" ...this is basically whats helped us make our decision for moving back to Aus, it doesn't seem like anyone is really getting ahead over here and If you do; your working so much that theres no room for enjoying it.

eatfoo... yeah pretty sure you can bail your hex in either country, if you move... over here it comes out of your tax, otherwise your expected to pay it back as soon as your earning over X income (in New Zealand).. same with Australia really, I have a $15 000 hex debt over there for a partially completed Ba. But I never have to pay it back unless I earn over a certain amount... or if I move countries. it's not like they can really arrest you for it or anything..

Sorry guys, but these a prime examples of first world problems...

Complaining about how hard it is to get free money...

These whines are why developing nations look upon us with contempt.

I don't mean to offend any posters, just a different set of eyes...

They encourage you to sterilise. Omg that is such an invasion.

• Like 1

Sterilisation should be compulsory in developed nations. We don't need to be baby making machines when increased immigration can easily contribute to Australian population growth.

Sorry for the OT. I have been considering moving to NZ for a while, but it appears that some of my assumptions are incorrect. I thought that cost of living vs salary would work in our favour.

• Like 1

Sorry guys, but these a prime examples of first world problems...

Complaining about how hard it is to get free money...

These whines are why developing nations look upon us with contempt.

I don't mean to offend any posters, just a different set of eyes...

Seth, this community, like the nation at large, has it's fair share of welfare scabs who feel entitled to a piece of the pie, while disparaging the very government that facilitates their free money.

• Like 2

Seth, this community, like the nation at large, has it's fair share of welfare scabs who feel entitled to a piece of the pie, while disparaging the very government that facilitates their free money.

I know... I remember a few threads throughout the years...

I suppose, unless a person has travelled, they only have what they know as a point of reference. (Reading about it doesn't quite have the same impact)

Health care, unemployment benefits, pensions... These things don't even occur in se Asia. Do you guys understand how lucky you are? That tax payers support you? That you live in a country where it's even possible to get hand outs? Think Australia is worse off than nz? Open your perception to encompass global issues... Then you will realise how lucky you really are...

Makes me laugh when people get upset because having a job impacts on them having fun, when others are so grateful just to be given the opportunity of employment...

"Where's the opportunity to enjoy life"? Oh dear.......

Word sethomopod, word.

Health care, unemployment benefits, pensions... These things don't even occur in se Asia. Do you guys understand how lucky you are? That tax payers support you? That you live in a country where it's even possible to get hand outs?

No mate, your lucky! Taxpayers don’t support the unemployed. They pay are price to live in a reasonably safe and healthy society.

Maybe you think I should have my dole payments taken off me, if I can’t manage to get my shit together and get a job? Fair enough. But just remember, then maybe it will be your house I’ll be robbing in order to feed myself.

Edited by jabez
  • Like 2

No mate, your lucky! Taxpayers don’t support the unemployed. They pay are price to live in a reasonably safe and healthy society.

Maybe you think I should have my dole payments taken off me, if I can’t manage to get my shit together and get a job? Fair enough. But just remember, then maybe it will be your house I’ll be robbing in order to feed myself.

When did welfare payments become a protection racket? Paying a person not to be a homeless crook is a completely daft idea. I would be happy to take that risk, and chop the govt benefits if a guy is too stoned, lazy and stupid to get a job.

Safe and healthy? Are you serious? Australian society is far from healthy.. And people who actually complain about how hard it is to receive FREE money are a fine example of just how unhealthy we are... The sense of entitlement..

In a healthy society, everyone WANTS to work for the benefit of the whole..

Let me be clear, your question of whether I would want to see your dole cut is bait.. I don't know your situation. But I do know you should be grateful for your dole payments... Not whinge, bitch and moan about how hard it is to qualify to receive them.

As I have said before, all I am doing is highlighting first world problems...

How am I the lucky one? Would love to hear that....

Are you saying that if taxpayers didn't foot YOUR bills, you would steal from said taxpayers? You say they pay a price for safety?

What I read is "pay my bills or I will rob you" that's blackmail mate... You are only proving my point by undermining yours.

I think it quaint that you say either dole payments or robbery... No middle ground at all.. How about a job?

Personally, I would rather work a shit job than be a thief....

When did welfare payments become a protection racket?

My point exactly.....

Seth, can you please offer Jabez a job at the mango farm, he needs workplace experience (and, removal from Australia). That we can restore this lucky country to a safe place to bring up everyone's subsidised children - of whom you can also have at age six for the farm.

• Like 1

Seth, can you please offer Jabez a job at the mango farm, he needs workplace experience (and, removal from Australia). That we can restore this lucky country to a safe place to bring up everyone's subsidised children - of whom you can also have at age six for the farm.

Lol...

Jabez, I can offer you just under a months work if you like.... In Townsville... Work hard and you can clear a couple of grand a week...

Other than that, I would like to invite you to my business in Vietnam, I believe if you are made aware of what little people have in other countries, your view may change

Awesome offer and some serious coin! Take it, Jabez...... Then I can rob you.

The sooner Robin Hood started to even things out the better.

Hungry people don't stay hungry for long.

Seth, can you please offer Jabez a job at the mango farm, he needs workplace experience (and, removal from Australia).

Psylo,you no nothing about me, yet you make ignorant assumptions as to who I am and what I’ve done. Typical of a right wing silver spoon that thinks the privileged & secure lifestyle most of us are blessed with in Australia should just come for free, without supporting the citizens of this country who aren’t so lucky.

Firstly, I worked in hard labouring jobs everyday of my life since I was 16, so don’t make assumptions about me not knowing what it is to do a hard days work! It was only about 4 years ago that I unfortunately had a complete mental break down (for reasons that are none of your business). It wasn’t till after that, which I have been placed in a position where I have found it extremely difficult to find any long-term secure employment. Btw, just for the record, I’ve never stolen off anyone and have no criminal record what so ever. But its just a fact of life, natural instinct dictates that if a person is faced with starvation, then they’ll either just lay down in a ditch and die, or they will take drastic measures to ensure they can feed themselves, which is the very purpose of the welfare system in the first place.

Anyway, from your statements this is my personal ‘assumption’, its quite clear you are a naïve ignorant silver spoon, who’s probably never had to do it hard a day in your life. Your living in your own little sheltered dream world of luxuries, without any idea about the complex & devastating issues that the lower class have to face on a daily bases, whether it be in an under developed country, or a country like Australia, which is privileged for the very fact that we have a well developed welfare system.

Sethomopod, your statements are a little more grounded in reality. But you still seem completely oblivious to the reality of the underlining situation surrounding people that (for whatever reason) have got themselves stuck in the endless cycle of the welfare system and why our welfare system constantly needs to be scrutinised and made more efficient.

Firstly, a person on welfare is hardly living any kind of privileged life. Once you have paid your bills and rent, you can barely afford to feed yourself. How can people who can’t even afford to feed themselves and usually have no formal skills or qualifications meant to easily find secure long-term employment? When they can’t even afford to get a haircut or put petrol in their car (or pay for a bus ticket) to get to job interviews, forget about even thinking about purchasing new clothes to look respectful. It’s an endless cycle, which is extremely hard to get out of once in. Then add a serious mental illness (which many people on welfare suffer from) to the equation and its damn near impossible to get out of the devastating welfare cycle.

People in this kind of situation are well in there rights, to demand they are given better opportunities to have some kind of chance to get out of the cycle of poverty and welfare, so they can have some kind of chance to hopefully obtain a better quality of life, which most other Australians are privileged with.

Your argument of how the under privileged people of Australia should just be happy with what they have, because people in other countries have it worse is also flawed. Since the healthcare and the welfare system, is one of the fundamental factors that make this country so much more privileged in the first place.

I haven’t been all over SE asia, but I have been to Thailand and the poverty and disgraceful quality of life that some people there where living in devastated me and made only reaffirmed my belief of how important Australia’s welfare system was and how we need to keep working at improving it. Also just for the record, I was a taxpayer at the time and had been working hard my whole life at that point in time, btw.

Edited by jabez
  • Like 3

I agree with what allot of people are saying here... I do feel privileged to live in a country/s where things like the benefit are available to myself and others. and I do understand that there are others all over the world way, way worse off than me, and that some others would be more than grateful to even have the opportunity of employment etc. I was really just having a whinge and feeling hard done by, as even though my life may be allot better than others in less well of countries etc, it's still hard when you stumble off the path regardless of your situation.

Growing up in australia i've always had the opportunity of employment etc but i've also lived in poverty and experienced homelessness too, so yes I will take free money that the government is handing out, as in these countries, its entitled to me.. and why shouldn't I take something that i'm entitled to? I have no criminal history, i'm not a drug user, and if after loosing full time work and having bills to pay i'm able to receive some free money to help me out between jobs.. i'm gonna take it... or at least try to... I just don't like it when I'm made out by the people giving out the free money, that I don't deserve it.. and when they look at me like i'm scum... I'm a full time student, trying to make something of myself, and like allot of other people sometimes I need a little bit of help... I tried my hardest and sometimes it doesn't always work out like others expect it to.

"Where's the opportunity to enjoy life" for me personally, my most important goal in life is to enjoy it, to be happy and have the least amount of worries... If i can accomplish this the most easiest way possible, I'm happy.... if there is the availability for happiness, why should anyone put it aside? ...for me, if happiness means not working and having to worry about bills etc.. i'm gonna do it... in saying that, if it means for someone else that it's working 45 hours a week, having allot of money and no time for family etc.. they should do that...

all in all, yes I do have it sweet... yes i'm lucky to live in such awesome countries.. and yes some peoples lives suck... i'm just trying to make mine better, in the world that I know... just sometimes it's hard... just like the millionaire that thinks they're being hard done by when they loose a couple hundred thousand in the stocks. we're all lucky to even be here on this planet and to be alive and well... I just wish it worked out easier, thats all.

• Like 2