The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Thelema

amorphophallus spp bioassay

Thanks again to gods-flesh for providing the starting material.

I was initially very apprehensive about trying to bioassay this material, as the dried leaves of this (unidentified) amorphophallus had a strong ammoniacal smell. I don't even know what that could possibly indicate, but it put me on guard. Maybe someone might enlighten me as to what ammonia smells in herbs might indicate?

Anyway, I rolled up 2 of these narrow leaves of about 6cmX1cm into a rolly cigarette and smoked it with tobacco.

The smoke was a little distasteful but the effects were immediately noticeable. A slow dull crept over the front of my brain and thoughts and senses became dulled. It seemed to want to break in to a headache but stopped short of an elongated throb. More noticeable were the somatic effects.

My body became extremely restless, my legs jittery and all body positions uncomfortable. It seemed to have something in common with seretonin-jitters. This seemed to last for a couple of hours until gradually fading.

The head/brain effects were felt tapering off for the next 24 hours.

Originally I had wanted to reconfirm this bioassay so this is written from memory about 1 month old. but I have decided that another bioassay will not be forthcoming for a while. If anyone is interested in adding another bioassay to this, contact me for some material if interested, I would like to know how someone else experiences this material.

traditionally the herb was said to produce an "ether-like" smoke, and I can see how the barin effects if strengthened could induce this feeling. Due to its psychoactivity, I feel this is worthy of at least someone else giving it a go.

if anyone is interested in trying any pm me and i can send you a small amount.

quote:

as the dried leaves of this (unidentified) amorphophallus had a strong ammoniacal smell. I don't even know what that could possibly indicate, but it put me on guard. Maybe someone might enlighten me as to what ammonia smells in herbs might indicate?

Umm, this is probably completely unrelated, but mature Amanita Muscaria have that smell too.

and similar effects.

The smell is probably not a great diagnostic feature for predicting chem content.

Most alkaloids smell something like that when in their free-base form, as they are derivatives of ammonia (ie amines, ammonia with one or more of the hydrogens replaced with carbon containing bits). So it probably means alkaloids, but no more than that (and urea smells similarly too, though it is not generally considered an alkaloid despite being a basic organic compound found in plants).

And shit, I'm really sorry Thelema, I'm still going to send you those bulbs, I've just been very stressed out with uni at the moment and keep forgetting to post them- they've been in an envelope on shelf for weeks now :o:o:o

Don't worry if you've consumed or given away the scelly by now, you can have them nothing if you have :) .

I always thought that the smell of ammonia was from plant material decomposing because of poor drying and storage.I,ve got some OP8 from hhh at Newtown thats going back today because basically it is compost in a bag and if you look very carefully you can see the mould on it,there is no way I,d smoke it and I,m a little cranky that they would sell shit like this.

teonanacatl:

if anyone is interested in trying any pm me and i can send you a small amount.

hey teo

yeah im interested in trying this out if ui have enought thanx mate

aaron(psycho0)

sorry teo i meant to send that thru pm!

[ 07. May 2005, 02:49: Message edited by: psycho0 ]

Yeah, from memory the smell of Ammonia on plant material is from mould and decomposition like Andrew said.

This could be diferent for fungi but for things like leaves and buds its a pretty sure bet.

My mate had a plant that got rained on to much and the buds went mouldy, the smell of ammonia was rife, the same smell can be found from moist buds being stored in a plastic bag for to long.

Try placing the material in a brown paper bag thats been dried in the oven until crispy, giving it a shake around every 12hrs. Or for a DIY dessicator, fill a sealable plastic bag or container with rocksalt or "DampRid" leaving enough space for a smaller open container filled with the material, then seal it up making sure not to mix the contents.. The powder will soak up the mositure.

[ 08. May 2005, 04:22: Message edited by: AndyAmine. ]

Yeah, sorry Teo.

I've been sent a sample by Teo aswell, everyone.

I have actually tried it twice now, but don't yet feel ready to write a thorough bioassay.

It definitely didn't kill me. Don't know if it made me any stronger though. :D

I'll finalise my testing over the weekend. It's a long one. That means excessive drug consumption. YAY! :)

[ 10. June 2005, 00:30: Message edited by: Benzito ]

so u smoke it do u? any1 tried an xtract?

would vodka be any good for xtracting?

also can u drink it?

btw if anyone has any plants id love some! :D

cheers

aaron

smoking is the only thing that has been tried sofar. if smoking results are good i may try an extract. i wouldnt drink it as yet. im working on the plants :) they go dormant over winter so i dont think i will have plants till next summer.

bump :) just curious to your experiences benzito :)

This plant is an interesting teacher. It is quite hard to get a feel for the spirit of the plant.

I have tried it 3 times now. The first and third times ended in nasty headache, and very little noticeable difference in perception. But the second attempt showed somewhat more promise:

Noticed the jittery-ness, which definitely did seem Serotonin-related. A goofy kind of feeling in my head, but a restlessness like that I used to get when i came down from smoking Salvia D. My skin was sensitive all over and any touch, even that of the clothes I was wearing, was almost too much to bear.

A friend has tried it twice, and he claimed to 'enjoy himself' both times, with a slight hint of a headache. But I really can't get anything more detailed than that from him. He just says "it was kinda weird, and mild".

I want to try this a few more times, but have just developed what I believe to be a Hernia, so I'm making a trip to the Doctor and avoiding anything that may make me strain my ab muscles. Which includes vomiting from smoking weird plant matter. :)

Hopefully I can get a better feel for it in a few weeks. I'll know once I've seen a doctor.

I've still got plenty of spare plant matter, if someone else wants me to pass some along?

cool so in your opinion its worth more of a look? could contain maoi. i will see if i can grab more plant material.

Yeah, give it to some more people for sure.

I'm on Methylphenidate(Ritalin), daily, as per my prescription.

I believe this chemical affects Seratonin levels. I definitely know I can't take chemical MAOI's at the same time as Methylphenidate, so maybe my results could have been somehow affected by my medication?

Depending on if it is an MAOI, anyway.

So, we definitely need a few 'control' bodies. reasonably chem-free ones.

I'd look into it further. And again, I'll send some plant matter to any people interested.

Anyone have idea of constituents/actions??

Anymore more info....

sounds interesting :confused:

no idea of constituents or actions as of yet.

Same genus as that large 'rotting flesh' smelling flower, yeah?? sounds promising

action: heavy body load, slight intoxicant.

Can't quite pin-point the 'class' of intoxication it is though. It doesn't exactly stupefy you, doesn't inebriate either.

Well, the doctor told me my hernia is minor (this was after he massaged my insides back in through my abdominal muscles ewwwwwwww) and I just need to rest for a bit.

So, give me a week or two, and I'll give it a few more goes.

yeah same genus, ive got seed of Amorphophallus bulbifer but i havta wait till spring to sow them. the plant this material came from is labeled Amorphophallus phallus but i cant find that species anywhere, its a native to oz though.

Hi everyone, I've had a few people request samples of this from me, and I did promise a more thorough bioassay. But I had a big party at my place at the end of January, and in a drug-haze got this stuff out, and suggested that we all smoke it.

Well, no-one smoked it that night, to my knowledge, but I haven't been able to find the baggie since.

I'm really sorry to Duke and the other dudes who asked me to send some on, and I'm sorry to waste what little Teo had to go around.

I just wanted to explain why there's been no further reports, and I hope you guys aren't too irked by my actions.

thats ok they are coming out of dormancy now so more material should be available in a few months, plus i got some plants germinating :)

can you post a pic of the plant so we can work out what species it is please?