The Corroboree
Sallubrious

What just happened ?

What was the problem over the last week ?

I noticed things were running slow before the site went down, was it a server issue?

It was a server issue as far as I'm aware. The host had a catastrophic failure.

yep, catastrophic failure at host. Lucky I had my own back up and moved host. They didn't tell me till the third day just how long their recovery would take [up to 2 weeks]. Had a few problems along the way though.

if you want to see when the old host would have come back up [and the way I was misled] you can check here ;)

http://ops.virtacore...m?issueno=42320

will post more details tonight. This took a lot of time out of my week and I need to do some catching up.

The back up was from about 24h before the crash so we did lose a little bit of info, but I figured this was preferable to waitinganother week to be back up.

• Like 14

Torsten you are a legend, at the very least it made us realise just how much we value The Corroboree as a resource and community!

The site seems to be working faster than ever, too, so maybe a change is a good thing too.

• Like 11

I was a bit worried for the first few days, then headed over to AE and there were folk over there talking about it being a server crash, and for some reason I couldn't sign up to AE for ages and get on the antics :( lol

But anyway, awesome to see the forum back :) wasn't expecting this till early next month from what people were saying, good work T!

Edited by Jonstn

...VPS always had guaranteed resources and is fully scalable - even before they called themselves cloud hosts ;). I don't actually have an issue with my current host except that I don't like their RAID set up, which is what has brought about the current problem.

Had the paranoid schizophrenics among us worried that the Victorian Police Service had raided the forums for awhile there :wink:

Once again, thanks to Torsten and everyone else involved for getting the forums back up.

• Like 3

Server is definitely faster. And also closer than the previous USA one. And we're future proof for at least a couple of years in terms of size and resources.

I usually give updates on the shaman australis facebook page, so that's a good one to check in situations like this.

• Like 2

Was it much of an expense moving host?

Let us know if we can chip in, I'd be happy to contribute some $.

My brain and garden have been benefitting from the Corroboree for years, quite happy to give some back.

• Like 6

Thanks for the update Torsten.

Does the PRISM site have any affiliation with SAB ?

I was redirected to their site yesterday but I couldn't find anything about SAB when I searched their site. I'm not on facebook so forgive me if you've already explained it.

Edited by SallyD

Thanks for sorting that out Torsten, :)

• Like 1

Corroboree withdrawals!

I didn't even realize I was hooked.

Thanks to all who keep this site running!! :worship:

This outage made me realise how epic my internet addiction is.

Thankyou, I think...

• Like 2

Ahhhh! Home Sweet Home.

Glad to see you my beloved SAB. *hugs

I was getting worried as there was a rumor going around that Torsten was sick of all the winging PMs and had pulled the pin on the site for good and was going to support prism , and then re-claim AE... But it didn't sound like something Torsten would do... so i ignored that rumor.

Anyway... nice to see you all.

PS: where do i seek compensation for the trauma i went through, and all the visits to reahab',,,LOL!!! :P

:) :) :)

• Like 4

Nice to see some friendly faces here. :wub: Feels good to have the site back online.

• Like 1

Thanks so much T and anyone else involved.

Ahhhh! Home Sweet Home.

Glad to see you my beloved SAB. *hugs

I was getting worried as there was a rumor going around that Torsten was sick of all the winging PMs and had pulled the pin on the site for good and was going to support prism , and then re-claim AE... But it didn't sound like something Torsten would do... so i ignored that rumor.

Anyway... nice to see you all.

PS: where do i seek compensation for the trauma i went through, and all the visits to reahab',,,LOL!!! :P

:) :) :)

heh

i think somebody seized the opportunity to spread a bunch of stories.

Its great to see the site back up

Its like pulling on an old pair of ugg boots it just feels so right :lol:

Cheers

Got

edit

LONG LIVE SAB

Edited by tipz
  • Like 2

ah yes, I heard about the rumours amazonian. I think they are more a reflection on the source than on me.

PRISM is australia's offshoot of MAPS and as one of the founding members I provide the domain name and the webhosting [however I have nothing to do with the site as such]. It's just one of the many projects I support. There was some confusion about IPs when I set things up so SAB pointed to the PRISM homepage for a while. PRISM was the only other site hosted on that server. I am glad PRISM got a bit of free publicity out of the stuff up ;)

I am still getting cache issues with the site, so it is safe to assume others will too. This should settle down as the days go on.

I am not well at the moment, so if there are any further issues with the site they'll probably have to wait a week or two. All major functions should be fine. Just list any problems here and I'll attend to them as soon as I can.

its good to be bak :):worship:

Geeez, didnt notice how much time I spent on here until here wasnt there anymore???should probably climb off the fence and formally introduce myself as well.

Thanks to everyone involved with getting this place back up and running again :)

thanks for reminding me mushroomman: Big thanks to apothecary who was invaluable in solving tech problems that had me stumped. his ideas got this place up at least a day or two earlier than expected. I found myself in the silly situation where the huge back up file was in a place where I could not access it via SSH nor could I copy it anywhere or download it the usual way. But he worked out the solution. :wub:

• Like 5