The Corroboree
Halcyon Daze

THE FLAME PIT

OK threads on SAB are going downhill lately

so I'm looking for ideas on how to construct a place to re-locate our scraps and fights, to hopefully save our threads from being derailed

I'm calling for complete immunity from the mods in his thread. So they cannot hold anything you say against you. Much like parliamentary immunity.

The reason things go so far off topic is because we simply don't have a specific thread for our bitching gripes and fights. Only a place where legitimate threads end up after they've been trolled by some random fuckwit.

So this is it.

What should we call it? eg, the pit, the ring, the carpark etc?

What are the rules? eg there are no rules except nothing of criminal nature.

Help me draft a quick disclaimer before the trolls go to town on us.

Any suggestions and ideas welcomed, any criticism and abuse welcomed even more!!!

Edited by Halcyon Daze

Oh and psylo I know you will find something WRONG with this but just think of the immunity. Or at least give it a go for the sake of the community.

Edited by Halcyon Daze

haha nice idea, i like it.

be aware though that this "OK threads on SAB are going downhill lately" is your opinion and others dont necessarily share this opinion.

another thing to think about is that stating a blanket statement like that is very simplistic and suppresses thought, if you think that threads are going down hill, explain why you think so, and what steps you want to take to raise them back up.

it is always good to think about things and work towards an understanding between each other, blanket statements create disagreements and fights, which are perhaps what you were referring to in that opening sentence.

be open to ideas, be willing to use your creative mind, see others ideas through the eyes of empathy, dont suppress thought and ideas.

Edited by chnt
  • Like 4

Oh yes and lets all have a little tea party while we're at it then. FUCK THAT, the reason we need a thread like this is because everyone knows and agrees with what you just said , but no-one actually does it.

Also, some people are purposely trying to degenerate other people's threads, it's just the latest form of trolling. and hopefully this'll give us a way to better deal with it.

Thanks for your support :wink:

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 2

If its your first night in The Pit, you will fight.....

• Like 2

The reason threads go downhill is because people are lazy. if you can't express your opinion and discuss issues like an adult then you don't need a flame pit, but a sand pit. The work thread went downhill because of a combination of trolling and licence. I presume the mods will have their say in due course and we may just have to bring things back to a new level that we have departed from in recent times mostly due to the influence of one member.

There will be no flame pit on this forum as such uncivil behaviour is bound to carry out into the wider forum. Be civil or fuck off ;)

• Like 9

Come off it Tosten, Give it a go mate, we want a solution.

By the way THE FLAME PIT sounds Sweet-as

Edited by Halcyon Daze

We are just working on the "Who do you work for" Thread and people will be pretty surprised when we are done. The Reason that threads go downhill is that some people give a shit about the netiquette and behave like total dicks, verbally attacking and harrassing people and just not respecting our members as they should. I was shocked when i went online this morning to find the Work thread and i am not willing to accept it. This is not limited to one person and we will treat everyone the same. I am DONE letting people ruining Threads so we´ll need to be a little bit more drastic in our measures.

• Like 4

I still like the sound of the FLAME PIT better

I love SAB , i truly do. :) . Its not degenerating .

I have been a member for 2 years, and there is a flare up like what , monthly?. I am sure if we look back through all the threads, it would be the same? We don't have to agree with everyone, we all have an opinion. We are a community, yet, we are individuals, and that's not a bad thing.

PS... Be nice to see a bit more 'Hippy' behavior though.

:)

• Like 6

i don't like this dionysus character, i think he's shady. the other SABers though, good value all 'round. how about, if you think someone has a shit opinion, try to inform them why you think its shit withoutsaying 'bullshit' and starting a 'flame pit' :) . solved.

• Like 4

^^ I agree with the politeness bit, I guess today I got worked up unnecessarily by someone who is largely ignorant and uncaring of how others work. But maybe it wasn't so unnecessary, rudeness is something that needs to be shown up for what it is, though I could have been more even tempered myself. I take responsibility for my part in feeding the flames today, as I said to Incognito, I've had a bad week and haven't been thinking clearly. Not an excuse, but an apology.

I vote no for a flame pit because it would only encourage abusive behaviour and not fix things. I think there are certain people who are invariably uncivil and / or trolls and they can be weeded out. Most people here aren't, it's by and large a good community.

We should be concerned about these things, it can cause people to stop contributing or joining - I was upset to see people drop out of the Work thread. I've seen forums degenerate before when trolling issues and bad manners aren't dealt with effectively. Or even just when the wrong "type" of people start to join, people who post incessant nonsense can be just as frustrating.

• Like 2

i think most people are here for plant or and culture related things ..

if you need a thread to vent stress about people's online persona's, a thread probly won't cure what ails yer

i think there has been a shift in the ratio of plant/culture to rabble recently. imo there's no need for more threads like this

• Like 4

Come off it Tosten, Give it a go mate, we want a solution.

we have a solution. this forum has evolved over more than a decade because we don't allow things to get out of hand and because we enforce a certain level of respect and civility. The nature of people is to push boundaries, even if the space beyond those boundaries does not actually serve anyone well. For example, we did just fine without the word cunt for most of the last decade, but then one member feels it needs to be introduced into every sentence. It was comical and we let it go, but a year or two later we are now at the point where cunt is an apparently acceptable way to refer to each other regardless of whether in jest or in anger. Just think for a moment how offensive that word actually is to some people - like 50% of the population. Do you call your girlfriend or wife a cunt and still expect respect? So the solution is that we are going to be much stricter about enforcing civility and respect. get used to it fast or collect points.

The other problem is one that is inherent to forums and is unlikely to ever go away. Trolls, pseudotrolls, and people whose primary mode of operation here is to push the boundaries. we set boundaries very wide because we want to allow as much freedom as possible, but this must be balanced with the needs of others, especially those who are not so comfortable being that close to the edge. So while it might look Ok for psylo and incognito to abuse each other, when either one of them takes that tone to others who are not comfortable with it then this is a failure by them and by the forums as a whole. We have instances of people too scared to make posts because of how a handful of people might react. That's schoolyard dynamics which we are not going to condone any longer. The moderators are going to be a lot tougher in intervening in these things. if you think that you are safe from penalties just because you are not breaking any rules, but you are constantly pushing the boundaries, then think again. The mods have the freedom to intervene where needed to create a safe, civil, and constructive environment. It's a nature of the beast that these things swing back and forth from time to time, so here is a notice that we have peaked at the impolite end and that the pendulum has been pushed to the other side.

The concept of a flame pit has no place in this environment.

• Like 4

A couple of times a year, someone complains that the forums are going downhill and people aren't interested in plants but just troll etc. The complainers usually stop posting before long, along with the people they accuse of causing problems, and then the cycle begins again. Meh.

• Like 3

if you think it's going downhill now (i don't) you should have been around to catch Baphomet's antics...try doing a search on his username...fun times...

This head is for the beast. It's a gift.

full moon is approaching

lun-a-tics-

the zoo ..............amz................. is here:)

for a bunch of sexy travellors Alot of people here forget the most basic tenet of human existence...............forgive and forget. no one here can plead ignorance when it comes to judgmental observations. we are all little boxes of cereal.

"A little bit of acid in every box........c'mon enjoy dmtCoCopops"

Shizzle me wizzle..... if i'm not bamboozled by all these shenanigans right here biatch.

no need for a flame pit , the bitches and gripes section handles all degenerating/ed threads quite nicely thankyou.

this joint is about ethnobotany/plants/plants lovers/lovers of entheo related items/seeds/leaves/propagation/heat pads/gels/smoking blends/aya/dimitri/rc's/traders who are are cool under the scrutiny of us sabers' and the love of all things ethnobot-did any one watch that show on abc1 tonight "How to grow a planet". two more parts to come.....real enjoyable to watch.

if some wanna derail/abuse/racially vilify/sexist attacking/homophobic petty comment about newbewie comments..............................................go home

i lubs you all and NO ONE MEMBER will disrupt my electric love vibrations for all of you who walk the walk and talk the talk

E

• Like 5

Just have a boxing ring set up at the next enthno meet with those oversized boxing gloves , matches held by the people with the most warnings, inebriated on a cocktail of entho's and let them go at it!!!! hahaha. winner gets to stay on SAB.

• Like 2

The worst is that all the stupid discussions are about nothing. If it would be like a heated discussion between let's say a nazi and gandhi who totally differ ... Shit is about nothing. I'm against a flame pit, take your BS somewhere else.

I personally think having a flame pit thread would more likely escalate the tensions between people - we all love to have the last word, things are very rarely resolved by insulting each other in a forum.

What happened in the ’what do you do for work' thread was going to happen sooner or later - and I'm glad it did - it is a good point to work from for future for the mods. I think we are all sick of threads degenerating to what that thread did.

I would encourage people to use the report function more often too. It is very helpful in quickly getting to things that might need modding. Also please PM a mod if you feel someone is being anti social. All the mods are discrete and I know in most cases they would probably agree with you. I'm always happy to talk over things with people privately - if nothing else just to give another opinion.

Everyone here should feel welcome to get involved and contribute openly without the fear of unnecessary criticism from a more focal member. Number of posts means nothing.

• Like 1

another thing I want to get of my chest. Having an opinion does not entitle you to tell the world about it and blindly defend it on a public forum.

• Like 4

We don't have to agree with everyone, we all have an opinion. We are a community, yet, we are individuals, and that's not a bad thing.

another thing I want to get of my chest. Having an opinion does not entitle you to tell the world about it and blindly defend it on a public forum.

That is what i was getting at ^. Like its OK to have an opinion, but don't push it like its the only opinion to have. :)

I treat people how i would like to be treated, with manners and respect.

:)

And if that doesn't work then take it to the flame pit. Thread saved, problem solved.

And if that doesn't work then take it to the flame pit. Thread saved, problem solved.

I get the feeling Halcyon you really really want a flame pit. :lol: