The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sallubrious

Dusted with asbestos

I was out in the back yard today repotting a few cactus and two men pulled up and started cleaning stuff out of the back yard of the vacant house next door.

Then I saw them on the veranda with full asbestos suits and masks, so I called my 3 year old son to bring him inside. Before I could round him up they started bashing and pulling pieces of asbestos from the ceiling which created large clouds of dust that blew all over my son, myself and all over the kids clothes and bedding that had not long been hung on the clothes line to dry.

I brought my son inside as quick as I could and then watched at least 6 more clouds of dust blow all over the clothes on the clothes line.

I asked them why they didn't warn me that they were going to be stripping asbestos and they just said "you saw us in the suits" so they don't seem to think they have any obligations other than to protect themselves. I told them I had a child out there and they didn't seem to care about that or that it blew all over my clothes, they said " a bit of dust won't hurt ya", so I asked - if that's true why are you wearing a fucking suit and mask.

As you can imagine I'm not very happy about it, so I just wanted to see if anyone here knows anything in regards to the obligations of someone removing asbestos in regards to the safety of others

I

If the amount of asbestos materials or products to be removed is less than 10m2 then someone with an asbestos removal certificate is not required. However, the methods outlined in the Code of Practice for the Safe Removal of Asbestos [NOHSC:2002 (2005) must still be adhered to by the person undertaking the removal. For removal of bonded asbestos materials or products of more than 10m2 someone with a Class B removal certificate must be used. Friable or loosely bound materials and products must only be removed by someone who has a Class A removal certificate.

http://www.asbestosaustralia.com.au/

Code of Practice for the Safe Removal of Asbestos [NOHSC:2002 (2005):

http://safeworkaustralia.gov.au/AboutSafeWorkAustralia/WhatWeDo/Publications/Documents/234/SafeRemoval%20ofAsbestos2ndEditionNOHSC2002_2005.pdf

Asbestos removal should only be undertaken by a competent removalist. State and Territory

legislation requires the licensing and registration of operators involved in asbestos removal,

transport and disposal.

For more information on asbestos removal, please contact your State or Territory

occupational health and safety (OHS) authorities.

i'd be getting in touch w/you state's OHS authorities.

That's really, really bad. Call your local council right now and they should send someone out almost immediately.

That sounds terrible... Here's a site that has the regulations for each state and the documents you need to chase up for your state. http://www.asbestosaustralia.com.au/ I'm hoping they were just dealing with normal dust? I've seen asbestos removal in Vic and 'no dust' is allowed to escape - we're talking tubes like that big 'ol snake you used to run down as a kid, space suited people with a contamination removal shower etc... Two dudes in space gear isn't going to cut it in any state... I'd really be hoping it's not asbestos.

Ooops! People commented whilst typing... :)

That is absurd! It has been my belief that drenching the area in water before removal is necessary and or large vacuums, and removal of full sheets intact where possible.

thats horrible!!!

but you guys should be fine

my dad used to play on piles of asbestos regulary as a kid and he is going strong (hes 64 now)

My worst nightmare. :( Would call the cops on them, burn down the house and probably bash them with a baseball bat. Not necessary in that order.

Edit: Go get their names and if you should suffer from Asbestosis in the future, sue their asses off. And like i said, make an official report to the police. If there should be any health problems in the future, this might help. At least make sure that they cant go on tearing that shit down without creating a sealed off area with plastic wrap. Not sure how its in Australia but its standard in germany. You cant just tear that shit down.

but you guys should be fine

The good news is, you were at very low risk ( approaching zero ) but saying that.. those dodgy fuckers over the fence should be doing the right thing which by the sounds of it, were not. follow it up and with the council and the above regs just so they start doing the right thing - Safe Work Australia will pull them into line, or close their business down.

Are you sure it was asbestos? sometimes they wear the suits as a just in case. id be finding as much information out about the company and what exactly they removed and exposed you to. i could only imaging if it was asbestos and you do have problems in the future, said company would no longer exist. id act now if i was you.

best wishes to you family

Corey

Thanks for the replies.

I almost certain that it is asbestos Quarterflesh, it was fairly standard for those houses when they were built (circa 1960).

I'm in NSW and as far I know they are supposed to wet it down first as Jumpstarter mentioned.

I've worked in industrial plants where asbestos has been used so I've had my fair share of it, it's my kids that I'm concerned about. My son was in the path of the dust and a lot of the kids' gear was on the line that copped it too.

I was always told that it only takes one single fiber to cause mesothelioma, I know it's a bit alarmist but how could you ever know.

For them to remove asbestos they have to be qualified for the job...have the necessary permits & or paperwork. The house would/should be encased in plastic. I would definitely be on to the relative authorities...ASAP.

I got dusted with asbestos pretty bad at a previous job and so immediately showered and changed clothes and went and saw the doctor.

She said that one such exposure is not so bad and statistically insignificant compared with background asbestos. It's multiple/ongoing exposure that you really have to worry about.

Take it or leave it but that is what my doctor said.

So while it is not good, I wouldn't be freaking out just yet. Maybe ask your doctor for advice.

Also a lot of the dust you say could have simply been actual dust sitting on top of the asbestos. The boards have to be broken to release asbestos, and doing this doesn't exactly create clouds of pure asbestos dust.

Bastards.... I am always amazed what disregard some people will show to others when money is involved.

These are probably the types of dick that will dump the removed material anywhere they can for free.This stuff is a ticking timebomb across Australia. I recall as a kid playing on piles of it after demolitions, and working in industrial area with brittle roof areas of the stuff.

Council Enviro. Health Officer a good place to start, and photos are a brilliant idea if they are still at it.

I was out in the back yard today repotting a few cactus and two men pulled up and started cleaning stuff out of the back yard of the vacant house next door.

Then I saw them on the veranda with full asbestos suits and masks, so I called my 3 year old son to bring him inside. Before I could round him up they started bashing and pulling pieces of asbestos from the ceiling which created large clouds of dust that blew all over my son, myself and all over the kids clothes and bedding that had not long been hung on the clothes line to dry.

I brought my son inside as quick as I could and then watched at least 6 more clouds of dust blow all over the clothes on the clothes line.

I asked them why they didn't warn me that they were going to be stripping asbestos and they just said "you saw us in the suits" so they don't seem to think they have any obligations other than to protect themselves. I told them I had a child out there and they didn't seem to care about that or that it blew all over my clothes, they said " a bit of dust won't hurt ya", so I asked - if that's true why are you wearing a fucking suit and mask.

As you can imagine I'm not very happy about it, so I just wanted to see if anyone here knows anything in regards to the obligations of someone removing asbestos in regards to the safety of others

I

Take those cunts to the cleaners mate. There are rules against that kind of behaviour and they should know them.

That's totally fucking outrageous and if you don't want to dob them in please give me their name and I will do it for you.

I'm utterly shocked.

gotta have prolonged exposure to it for years to bring any significant harm....

From my understanding the asbestos has to be a special hook shape to attach to the inside of your lung and start to cause damage.

You should be fine.

That kind of behaviour is terrible. If you feel strongly about it you should follow up with their company or take it further to WorkCover.

I remember using broken bits of asbestos sheeting as chalk on the footpath when I was little . So far, I don't have any lung condition (that I am aware of).

Definitely pursue this SallyD. Don't let them get away with it .

:)

I Did OH&S training at TAFE as part of a construction course and all types of asbestos bonded, fiborous etc. must be COMPLETELY contained (tented) when being removed.

If I were you sally I would've got their names and or their licence plate, then rung up work cover.

In the case you missed them I would contact your neighbour find out who they had do the removal and then ring work cover and see if these people are qualified and permitted to do such work and if they are its as simple as tell work cover what you've told us here and they will bring all sorts of shit down on those guys heads, In the case they aren't qualified and permitted then shit gets real and I doubt those people will have any work for a while if not ever again.

I got told that people like this do the removals bodgy don't tell the owner about regulations and then 20 - 30 years down the track they build a case against their employer/'s because they have work related respiratory problems

Not to mention I worked at a council facility that after being auditted contained bonded asbestos, we couldn't even punch a nail or drill into these walls.

That is how strict Newcastle council is on the matter, which is what makes me think these guys were just amateurs making a buck and not giving a f***k

Everyone is exposed to asbestos at some time during their life. Low levels of asbestos are present in the air, water, and soil. However, most people do not become ill from their exposure. People who become ill from asbestos are usually those who are exposed to it on a regular basis, most often in a job where they work directly with the material or through substantial environmental contact.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/asbestos

not that they should be allowed to get away w/it, but hopefully that eases your mind some.

*note to self, do not piss of EG*

Asbestos is pretty much everywhere in older Australian buildings, being a fire retardant material. And it can sit there being non-hazardous for decades until it becomes punctured or fractured, it's the dust that's the problem, if the board is sealed then it's completely safe.

But when it gets removed, it invariably fractures which is why the tenting rules and exclusion zones are in place, because that fine dust travels.

I think you'll be fine from such a brief exposure, even though it sounds like a high level, but you never know and it should never have happened. And it will happen again if no-one brings these guys to task, so it's your civic duty to report them to workcover even if you don't want recompense yourself.

If they are the people who own this business, they should know the rules and suffer the consequences when they are hazardous to other people. If they are the workers, their bosses are at fault and they should be able to find work elsewhere.

Also a lot of the dust you say could have simply been actual dust sitting on top of the asbestos. The boards have to be broken to release asbestos, and doing this doesn't exactly create clouds of pure asbestos dust.

That certainly was the case, the majority of the dust would have been dust that had settled on top of the panels that they were busting up and removing.

The amount actual asbestos fibres we copped would have been very low.

I was just pissed off that the bastards didn't give me the heads up. They'd seen me & my son in the yard and anyone with 5 senses could easily tell the wind was blowing towards us and the clothesline full of clothes.

They didn't wet the sheets down or take any precautions to make sure the dust didn't affect anyone else, they were just concerned for their own safety, which was my main concern.

They work for a large construction company as subcontractors so maybe I should threaten legal action, at least that way they might start considering others when they do it in the future.

I realise that the chances of anyone contracting any asbestos related disease is almost non existent, thanks to those who have tried to reassure me about that, but my point is - there is & can never be a safe level of exposure to asbestos, it only takes one cell to be affected by one fibre for such diseases to begin.

I've worked in enough asbestos to have killed ten people and I'm still OK so far, but I've seen several workmates die from asbestos related disease and one of them only ever went near it once.

I've got immediate concerns now anyway with this recent influx of flesh eating zombies :lol: