The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
planthelper

trade rep moderator??

hi!

since we have the trading reputations sub forum, some people avoided adding there member number. both times, it was a member name with a number atached to it.

there is no mod who can watch over this forum apart from the admins.

so no mod, who could edit in the number.

aswell, i guess that at times, tempers could flare up in this forum aswell, and there would be no mod, to kerb possible agitation...

aswell, this means that no body can enforce, the rule to add the member number past the member name.

maybe we should abandon those numbers altogether in this thread.

I think the numbers are a good thing to stop people changing name to try and obtain a new reputation.

But i reckon a mod for there would be good too.

• Like 2

Small forum to moderate. Would make sense for AndyAmine to do it, seeing as he moderates the main section of the Seed and Plant Exchange forum.

Yeah I'm with Hillbillios the numbers are a good thing. Do they stay the same when you change name? Because isn't that the reasoning for doing the numbers? I'll put my hand up if you need an extra hand. :innocent_n:

you can view anybodies past names anyway. up until a certain period when that upgrade was implemented.

i nominate torsten to choose somebody :P lol

I concur on this one... There are bound to be issues in the future that will require mediation.

Im a pretty diplomatic fellow with a knack for conflict resolution... Still no SAB veteran, but i would be happy to help mod this forum.

Just an offer :)

• Like 1

It seems to me that the rep forum is about us policeing ourselves, keeping ourselves honest in trading, sales etc, and as such may be better left un moderated. If peoples threads become nasty and all fucked up, it may very well be an accuratte reflection of the person and their behaviour towards others, and any moderating of that may hide the true picture. Just a thought.

• Like 6

:scratchhead:

good point

if they don't put the number in their own thread how are they gonna remember to use a stamp.

• Like 1

It seems to me that the rep forum is about us policeing ourselves, keeping ourselves honest in trading, sales etc, and as such may be better left un moderated.

Yeah, i actually agree with a lot that you said and i like it when people have values. But we´re not living in a perfect world and it wont take long till there will be trouble in some of the threads. You know, we only just begun with the forum and most people who posted had only good things to say. And in cases like this, i want it to be done and moderated right as some people have a lot to lose when their reputation is on the line. People moderating themselves is alright if there are no problems but as soon as shit hits the fan, you cant do that anymore. There are people who run a business and i think there should be some kind of standard that applies for all threads.

I see three options.

1. Torsten can moderate it himself what is not that of an unlikely thought if he has the time. Gives him control of the hard cases.

2. Andy can do it as its a subforum of his forum.

3. Torsten can pick someone else.

bye Eg

Look, no offense to either Tipz or EH, but if there had to be a new moderator, I dont think newish members should be given the task. Either a veteran or an existing mod. (Damn I just talked myself out of that pool as well).

Personally though, I agree with Brethloth. Self moderation avoids any 'favoritism' or 'personal prejudices' from the Moderating person/s, and if the shit goes bad, well the report function will pick up the occasional drama.

Keep in mind that Im sure 99% of traders are fine. I have oy heard three or four names come up in relation to past problems. That's a pretty insignicant number compared to all the successful trades.

Look, no offense to either Tipz or EH, but if there had to be a new moderator, I dont think newish members should be given the task. Either a veteran or an existing mod. (Damn I just talked myself out of that pool as well).

Personally though, I agree with Brethloth. Self moderation avoids any 'favoritism' or 'personal prejudices' from the Moderating person/s, and if the shit goes bad, well the report function will pick up the occasional drama.

Keep in mind that Im sure 99% of traders are fine. I have oy heard three or four names come up in relation to past problems. That's a pretty insignicant number compared to all the successful trades.

Aye, I'd have to agree as well with Brethloth as well. His point is true and just. But EG makes a point in saying when shit hits the fan. Why have a rulebook without an enforcer of those rules?

Originally thought andyamine would pick it up, but he can't. Then kept an eye on it myself for a bit to get it all running smoothly. still looking for someone to mod eventually - and yes, it will have to be someone trusted and well respected by the community. There's no rush. if people forget to put the number in the title then the thread gets deleted and they have to start again - simple. The number is there to make thigns easier for everyone else. Yes, we can look up user name history, but number is much quicker.

It seems to me that the rep forum is about us policeing ourselves, keeping ourselves honest in trading, sales etc, and as such may be better left un moderated. If peoples threads become nasty and all fucked up, it may very well be an accuratte reflection of the person and their behaviour towards others, and any moderating of that may hide the true picture.

With 4 pluses to date, this seems to be the preferred approach.

What if planthelper were to modify the thread title and include a poll, allowing members to vote on whether they feel the member trading rep forum needs moderation.

if people forget to put the number in the title then the thread gets deleted and they have to start again - simple.

it will have to be someone trusted and well respected by the community

At the moment, Trusted is defined by anyone with 3k+ posts to their name, or those that have requested that designation be added to their profile.

We have all seen the fallacy in that definition of Trusted.

What are the parameters for determining "well respected" ?:wink:

some people have a lot to lose when their reputation is on the line

Consequently those people will act accordingly to maintain their reputation without a need for moderation.

Besides banning or suspending a member, specifically what can a moderator do to enforce a trade gone bad? Wave a big stick?:wink:

Zelly, i agree there is no perfect approach. Only thing i can say is that an unmoderated forum is destined to fail as there are always cases that need mediation. Do you know how much work i had behind closed curtains because of the thing with teotz and razor? Well, it was a lot. I definately exchanged a few hundred pms because of it. Not counting the problems that were before that with other members.

You know, dont think it would make the board look better if there are unsolved trading problems in every page of the forum. We already have too many and i think we should go a hard line with them. But i also think its important that all trading experiences are actually truthful and not made up. So there needs to be some kind of standard that guarantees all is just and fair. Thats all i want.

Also, the trading forum is no place to wash dirty laundry which has nothing to do with the actual trades. Thats a very important point and im sure it will be a problem in the future. I doubt that some people could keep those two things apart and who makes sure that the statements are actually truthful? I know, moderators are no lie detectors and shit but it would leave some kind of security net. Honestly, i dont understand what benefits it would have to leave the forum unmoderated. Really, I dont even see one. Sure, it can work. But the experience of the past tought me better and at one point or another, you still need someone to do the negotiating. People can be really buthurt if someone writes bad things about em. And i dont blame em. Digital identities get more important every day as nowadays people live their lifes diffrently.

At the moment, Trusted is defined by anyone with 3k+ posts to their name, or those that have requested that designation be added to their profile.

We have all seen the fallacy in that definition of Trusted.

I agree but none of us ever said that it would be a good indicator for trustability. The opposite is the case. But to be honest; i know we have some good and honest people around here. The fact that there are some bad trades from time to time has nothing to do with our moderators. I am sure all of our mods would do a great job moderating the forum. To me, it doesnt matter who moderates it. I will do my thing, independently of my status. If theres a problem with two people, i´ll try to solve it. Its how i am and who moderates what forum is of no importance to me. I just want it to be done right.

Consequently those people will act accordingly to maintain their reputation without a need for moderation.

In some cases, you can do a very good service but still get a bad statement because of things that simply werent your fault. That fact alone is proof that its not only about what you do. So you cant make it that easy.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

i think hillbilly or marcel would make great moderators.

i would like to do it, but if others are better for the job. I wouldnt feel put out either