The Corroboree
Magicdirt

It's OK to eat red meat on good Friday

`

Edited by Magicdirt
  • Like 3

Atheism makes all this so much easier, but thanks for helping me shut down anyone who might get angry at me for such a thing. :)

My mother thought she would play all sides of the Anti Catholic/Catholic/ coin yesterday at a BBQ. Seafood sticks wrapped in bacon. She wouldn't believe me that no fish were harmed in the making of those weird rubber sticks (it's tripe, or cow stomach). :puke:

She then though that serving a morrocon spiced chicken was almost as good as fish, being a white meat and all.

I told dear mummy that she'll never get to heaven at this rate. :innocent_n:

post-4908-0-54618200-1303517779_thumb.jp

post-10588-0-75554400-1296935742.jpg

post-10588-0-75554400-1296935742.jpg

• Like 1

ha, nice one. :)

Do you mind if I cut and paste some of it to FB?

No worries mate

Whatever happened to having tolerance for all religions? :unsure:

You don't have to agree with Christianity or Islam or any other religion but there's no need to shit all over it either.

Not all Christians are fundamentalist lunatics just like not all Muslims are suicide bombers...

^just mentioning two common mentioned negative stereotypes.

As far as I know, the catholic thing about Good Friday isn't that you HAVE to eat fish, but more in that you can't eat meat. They could live on rice and vegetables for the day and still be sweet with the man upstairs.

For some people, Good Friday is a tradition and an excuse for family to come together and share a meal( fish meal). Its a small sacrifice made one day a year, who knows, maybe its in the hope of ridding ones sins.

Just become vegetarian.:lol:

an excuse for family to come together and share a meal( fish meal).

Are bacon-wrapped seafood sticks counted ?

For all the atheists out there who think this christian society is a wank, would you give up the public holidays to support your beliefs ? It's a paid day off for full time workers, double or triple time for casuals.

I took the phonetic meaning of the word and just made sure my friday was good... We ate a roast shoulder of beef for lunch cooked rare I was drunk my midday and was sound asleep by 9 o'clock. Al and all my Friday was Good.

For all the atheists out there who think this christian society is a wank, would you give up the public holidays to support your beliefs ? It's a paid day off for full time workers, double or triple time for casuals.

I would give up public holidays that are based on Christian beliefs for those that might actually make sense. The majority of Christian holidays and events "happened" at similar times to many pagan rituals and events in any case. Jesus wasn't born on December 25... Christian society is a wank regardless of holidays, holidays keep the population happy, they'll be there regardless of religion.

The eventual choice of December 25, made perhaps as early as 273, reflects a convergence of Origen's concern about pagan gods and the church's identification of God's son with the celestial sun. December 25 already hosted two other related festivals: natalis solis invicti (the Roman "birth of the unconquered sun"), and the birthday of Mithras, the Iranian "Sun of Righteousness" whose worship was popular with Roman soldiers. The winter solstice, another celebration of the sun, fell just a few days earlier. Seeing that pagans were already exalting deities with some parallels to the true deity, church leaders decided to commandeer the date and introduce a new festival.

i am not religious but i have always been of the belief its more a symbolism of respect.......red meat as we will call it historically was always something to buy thus a statement of money & power where fish and shellfish etc can most of the time be found washed up on the shore (or used to anyway) and so was regarded as poor food or very very cheap....................so the belief goes that you sacrifice the gluttony and riches of red meat for fish which has limited worth and is a poor persons staple. its symbolic for matierialism or turning your back on it by eating fish on good friday...........none of the other nonsense these religious cults feed the foolish masses who want to believe in something special.

• Like 1

Could you provide something that backs up your claims that "fish and shellfish etc can most of the time be found washed up on the shore (or used to anyway)" and "sacrifice the gluttony and riches of red meat for fish which has limited worth and is a poor persons staple."

I was always of the belief that breads and vegetables were much more likely to be a staple. Fish is a cheaper type of meat, but I thought that had more to do with it being easier to harvest than red meat, rather than that you'd find it on the shoreline...

Things may not be all so simple. The fish was a symbol of christianity before the christian cross became the prominent symbol as written by Phillp K.Dick. Perhaps here is where the tradition came from.

With the eating of red meat it was beleived by some ancient cultures such as the greeks that doing so, possibly by observing its effect in excess, altered ones physiology enough to result in a greater courseness of being perhaps from feeling heavy in the stomach. For this reason the greeks had a law that one could not in a legal case as in being a judge, preside over or render judgement in a case if they had eaten red meat in the previous 24 hours. Personally I think it is a good law, if your in deep shit you don't your judge feeling heavy in the stomach, in a bad mood or otherwise being unable to make a sound judgement.

This latter may be the origen of the not-eating meat tradition.

If one is not a christian in the sense of labelling oneself as such, then it hardly matters what religionous festivals a person may choose to celebrate. Different folk may celebrate quite different holidays.

Easter most likely originated from the pagan holidays that occured at that significant time of year becuase of solstices, equinox, fertility associations.

It can also be noted than in times of *sorry business* in some Aboriginal communities, the eating of meat is banned when a family member dies. They have to eat fish instead until sorry business is finish.

I give unto thee Free Will... but don't you try eating red meat on Good Friday, motherfuckers! Or I'll smack ya one!

By the way, to everybody who only eats fish on Good Fridays: there are not many fish left in the world.

Just something to think about... :)

• Like 1