The Corroboree
hutch

Hidden Amazon tribe caught on camera

That pic reminds me of "At Play in the Fields of The Lord".....eeeerily.

Hoax, dead set. Would love to hear more. The natives look pretty real.( although, if I was them, I would be hiding from the 'big thunder bird in sky)' :)

EDIT: NOT A HOAX. See post #10

Edited by Amazonian

I really can't be fked looking it up but the exact same story with the exact same pics came up at least a year or two ago. The activists staged it to try and save the Amazon. There is a thread about it on another board I'm a member of and if you do a search the same article

was posted on that board years ago. I also remember the story in the news myself

Nothing new I suppose....even the Herald Sun is looking for decent stories...rehash old ones maybe in desperation....well I missed it first time around.

I did think that the picture looked familiar, but hadn't heard the hoax part of it.

EDIT: Not Hoax. read post #10

Edited by Amazonian

It's not just the Aussie media. CNN are doing a story on it too. Either they thi k we're dumb or they have very short memories

THERE IS NOW A MOVIE:

http://www.uncontactedtribes.org/brazilfootage

Thing is they have been MONITORING them for 20YEARS!! Just never made contact..

I repeat they are not UN Discovered or NEW, just never contacted!!.

(so yes its the same tribe as 2 years ago, and no not a hoax, they are just in danger now, after 2 years the loggers have gotten closer to there settlement)

so the tribe is well use to the Helicopter... probably hide from it the first time 20years ago... only reason they are exposing them now is cause loggers are getting close to them....

sign the partition and save these people please....

http://www.survivalinternational.org/

Its not a Hoax... THIS IS REAL!!

Why dont you ring them and ask?? Instead of shutting it down quickly and killing peoples hopes.

the amount of people that probably just read "this is a hoax then left page" could of helped save them by signing partition....

For more information on this story, please contact:

T (+44) (0)20 7687 8734 or (+44) (0)7504543367

E [email protected]

In the US:

Christina Chauvenet (before 12 pm EST)

T (+1) 202 525 6972

E [email protected] Tess Thackara (after 12 pm EST)

T (+1) 415 503 1254

E [email protected]

http://www.uncontactedtribes.org/brazilphotos

SIGN THE PARTITION TO SEND TO President Garcia of PERU TO ASK FOR THERE PROTECTION HERE:

http://www.uncontactedtribes.org/brazilfootage

New photos obtained by Survival International show uncontacted Indians in never-seen-before detail. The Indians are living in Brazil, near the Peruvian border, and are featured in the ‘Jungles’ episode of BBC1’s ‘Human Planet’ (Thurs 3 Feb, 8pm, UK only).

The pictures were taken by Brazil’s Indian Affairs Department, which has authorized Survival to use them as part of its campaign to protect their territory. They reveal a thriving, healthy community with baskets full of manioc and papaya fresh from their gardens.

The tribe’s survival is in serious jeopardy as an influx of illegal loggers invades the Peru side of the border. Brazilian authorities believe the influx of loggers is pushing isolated Indians from Peru into Brazil, and the two groups are likely to come into conflict.

Survival and other NGOs have been campaigning for years for the Peruvian government to act decisively to stop the invasion, but little has been done.

Last year an American organization, Upper Amazon Conservancy, carried out the latest of several overflights on the Peru side, uncovering further evidence of illegal logging in a protected area.

Marcos Apurinã, Coordinator of Brazil’s Amazon Indian organization COIAB said today, ‘It is necessary to reaffirm that these peoples exist, so we support the use of images that prove these facts. These peoples have had their most fundamental rights, particularly their right to life, ignored … it is therefore crucial that we protect them.’

Renowned Brazilian Indian leader Davi Kopenawa Yanomami said today, ‘The place where the Indians live, fish, hunt and plant must be protected. That is why it is useful to show pictures of the uncontacted Indians, for the whole world to know that they are there in their forest and that the authorities must respect their right to live there.’

Peru’s Amazon Indian organisation AIDESEP issued a statement saying, ‘We are deeply troubled by the authorities' lack of action… despite complaints from Peru and abroad against illegal logging, nothing has been done.’

TV presenter Bruce Parry of hit TV series Tribe said, ‘Protecting the land where uncontacted tribes live is of global importance. We have consistently failed to introduce them to our world without inflicting terrible traumas. It is for them to decide when they want to join our world. Not us.’

Survival’s Director Stephen Corry said today, 'The illegal loggers will destroy this tribe. It's vital that the Peruvian government stop them before time runs out. The people in these photos are self-evidently healthy and thriving. What they need from us is their territory protected, so that they can make their own choices about their future.

'But this area is now at real risk, and if the wave of illegal logging isn't stopped fast, their future will be taken out of their hands. This isn't just a possibility: it's irrefutable history, rewritten on the graves of countless tribes for the last five centuries.'

12935547_crop_960.jpg

(I cant see how Red helps them camouflage or hunt... Can someone enlighten me?)

-Vual

Edited by vual

it just makes them look badass, that's all.

i remember a similar story but i thought the photos, while having red people, were different.

Maybe the Red is used for sunscreen. Or as red is a color of energy, maybe they wear it for hunting. As the loggers get closer and closer to this tribe, there food source will become smaller. @ vaul, i will edit my post a bit to dismiss the idea of a hoax .

my first thought is that the red is quite possibly mud smeared over their bodies to protect them from mosquitos... i remember bear grills doing just that in man vs wild.

they have huge feet, especially the children. Makes me wonder what all these years of wearing shoes have done to my feet :o Thorpedo might have a challenge at the lympics

Edited by rogdog

rogdog if shoes are taken to the extreme then the ancient tradition of chinese women foot binding kind of demonstrates that shoes probably do effect natural foot growth.

there are some pretty nasty pics if searched for but below is G rated.

post-5986-0-36465700-1297388715_thumb.jp

post-5986-0-36465700-1297388715_thumb.jpg

post-5986-0-36465700-1297388715_thumb.jpg

they have huge feet, especially the children. Makes me wonder what all these years of wearing shoes have done to my feet :o Thorpedo might have a challenge at the lympics

Your right ! Their feet are massive !!

There's an enamel (or possibly white-glazed ceramic) pot in the first photo. That's a Western object.

I'm sure that these indigenes live traditionally, and the campaign to protect them is definitely justified, but saying that they are "uncontacted" is contradicted by the fact that they have a non-native cooking utensil.

And the thing about their feet is not that they are big, but that they are splayed wide, especially at the toes, as our feet would naturally be if we didn't wear shoes. For a revelation, visit

http://barefooters.org/

The red colouring might be a status symbol.

Any colour that is not easily found in the environment tends to become associated with wealth, as locating a source and monopolising it requires the expenditure of inordinate amounts of energy. Only wealthy and/or fit individuals can afford to do this.

It's why bower birds decorate their bowers with blue objects to impress the females.

Funny thing is, I bet they love that metal knife and pan!

# It is healthy for your feet to go barefoot.

# It is not against the law to go barefoot into any kind of establishment including restaurants.

# It is also not against any health department regulation.

# It is not against the law to drive barefoot.

I wonder about these quick facts.

The first one is the only one I can confirm is true, as far as I know. Most restaurants will not let you in. Surely they have the right to refuse entry. Health Dept im unsure of. Driving I thought you had to where shoes.....

Can anyone confirm this?

WoodDragon, the source of random yet interesting information, returns *waves*. Great link that barefooters.org, thanks 4 sharing. Makes me wish I didn't own the 2 busted arse pairs of shoes I do now. Love going barefoot.

Slybacon, all I can say is this, its bloody hot on your foot driving barefoot!! Have done it often but not on long drives lol

Slybacon.

Barefooters is a US site, so the legal stuff definitely doesn't apply to Australia. It's the health side of things that I was trying to get across.

Meeka.

xap1lz.jpg

Yeah, going barefoot can be hard, especially to start with (I have wussy feet these days myself!), but it's great for posture and back health aside from helping improve the health of the feet themselves.

I love barefeet. Definitely my preference for driving and padding around the place in summer. Not so good for bushwalking, but it does tend to slow you down and make you move silently, so it has its merits.

How can you tell that bowl is ceramic or enamelled Woody?

Edited by tripsis