The Corroboree
Heffa

Wattle We Ban Next?

This is posted on behalf of another member here,

as they are not able to access the internet at this time.

25/01/2011

MX newspaper - Brisbane

I believe this may tie in with unseen4ce's topic: 'Stopping the Illegalisation of 1000's of Plant species'

Hope you all have your reading glasses out!

Original Scan (Huge) (1.4mb)

post-7386-0-11209400-1296375631_thumb.jp

Compressed scan (150kb)

post-7386-0-78820900-1296375311_thumb.jp

Great. Just great.

post-7386-0-78820900-1296375311_thumb.jpg

post-7386-0-11209400-1296375631_thumb.jpg

post-7386-0-78820900-1296375311_thumb.jpg

post-7386-0-11209400-1296375631_thumb.jpg

Edited by Heffa

Who exactly is it that believes that botanists will be exempt? Wat about Ethnobotanists? Or do i need a degree in bachelor of science? I think that one line at the end, really lets the entire article down.

I can't believe that. It's absurd that they'd rather crack down on these plants than alcohol/cigarettes.

yeah im juz waiting for all ''yall'' to wake up, ill be here till the end....

Bah , a load of shit. There is no way theyll be able to outlaw said plants. Not a fuckin chance. :wave-finger:

• Like 1

yep , its too late now the ball is rolling...........seems like sites like these are the reason for the downfall and in for that we can only blame ourselves, and the funniest but also saddest part of all is that the story reports us as simply being "drug users"

the more its highlighted the more any media will just blow this out of proportion, there is no opposition government that would oppose this law change because it really doesnt effect anybody except for the apparent "drug users".

its ridiculous yes but nothings stopping this now just you wait and see, sadly the writing is on the wall.

edit

also with the upcoming possible media scrutiny on this subject you will get all these little teeny boppers now rippin shit up and eating it due to misinformation.......with some potentially very serious results.

wattle they ban next..............gees may as well put a big flashing light on some previously unoticed tree and get some dumb kids to eat leaves containing cyanide.

Edited by santiago

Really fucking helpful man... I wonder if you'd give us the same rap if they started microchipping everybody...

seems like sites like these are the reason for the downfall and in for that we can only blame ourselves

If that's not insulting, then I don't know what is... Forums like this one have some of the most intelligent and professional botanists I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

the more its highlighted the more any media will just blow this out of proportion, there is no opposition government that would oppose this law change because it really doesnt effect anybody except for the apparent "drug users".

That makes no sense at all. You're basically just saying that bullshit is God, and that we are all of its servants... What else can I say? Might as well just give up on life now bloke...

• Like 1

I honestly can't see this legislation working... I see you have given up hope santiago? Why give up the fight so easily?

We are all aware it will affect more than just drug users... I think this is a great chance to expose the Government for who and what they are regarding this sort of ridiculous backwards thinking and utter waste of time and tax payer money.

Or don't Australian businesses, ie. nurseries - big and small, botanical gardens and ecologists give a shit about their plants anymore?

I do agree you will get foolish teenagers doing stupid things though... let's hope it doesn't happen and if it doesnt that no-one is seriously hurt as it will only be used as more fuel to push this propaganda.

Don't be fooled, this legislation has a VERY good chance of becoming law. There is a dangerous trend in australian law making to make very broad laws that potentially affect many innocent people, but to then only enforce them selectively. basically it means that police don't have to get proof of illegal intentions, rather simple possession of these plants and items is enough.

example: Palladium is already a scheduled precursor in most states. Yet thousands of coin collctors and dealers, or rich people with white-gold jewellery will probably never even know that they are criminals. However, if someone is found to have palladium in their possession and is suspected of making MDMA with it, then the cops don't actually have to prove that the person was trying to make MDMA, they can simply lock the guy up for having palladium in his possession. There are already dozens of such examples, so I really can't see why they would have a problem with these new federal law proposals.

Laws are getting lazier and lazier, and lazy laws remove freedoms that don't need to be given up. There are already plenty of laws for law enforcement to do the job they want to do without adding this lot.

As for the botanist exemption, this is from the proposal. It is only a possible suggestion though. The fact that they did not already incorporate it into the proposal indicates they are not interested in having it and it is unlikely to happen. But even if the exemption was to happen, how would this work? Would you need to pay exorbitant fees to get a license? Would you need to be on a register so that once they get sick of the exemption they know where to come knocking? The latter might sound paraoid, but that is exactly the process the feds used to close off the kava supply system in australia. get all legitimate kava dealer on the register, then 5 years later close the register - and none of those on the register can claim they didn't know the law changes. It worked brilliantly [for the legal kava supply at least]. It's actually easier now to get kava in those states where it has been illegal for many years as the clandetine supply routes are well established, than in the states where the ban is more recent.

• Like 2

If or when this law is passed, I am interested to know where the government will get their intelligence from in relation to whether or not the plant someone may possess does indeed contain an illicit substance? wikipedia? the government's own research? the police officer's knowledge? here - on The Corroboree and other similar sites?? or will they simply ban every plant in the species and impose, as Torsten suggests; as they see necessary?

This is going to be interesting. Let alone ridiculous.

As far as I'm concerned, I just like growing plants with a story behind them. Maybe I'll have to start growing more so i can legally do it....

hmm i have an idea, santiago's tree removal service......surely that would make me exempt. once i get it up and running if anyone has an 20 foot san pedro they need removed cos it will be law just let me know, and if some botanical minded police man pulls me over after you have paid me to chop it for you im simply on my way to the tip.

actually there is going to be about a billion acacia to remove....this is the new growth area of the near future, jims wattle removal.

Surely they don't think they will ever be able to destroy all these plants. For one it's impractical, how would police (assuming they are the enforcers) with their limited

botany skills be able to identify these plants that take considerable time to identify for enthusiasts. Secondly this is very shaky ground morally, when future generations

look back at all the plants, animals, insects, fungi etc that are extinct due to such laws I feel it is a shame that the people responsible won't actually be alive to answer

questions. Third, as these laws are targetting plants with chemicals that interact with the human body many of these plants would likely be useful as medicines ITF as

they have been ITP, would be quite ironic if one of the people who is responsible for outlawing plants had a child that contracted a rare disease that can only be treated

with a compound from one of the banned plants......oops :slap:.

As many countries have banned specific plants in the recent past how many have actually disappeared, or even become difficult to find?

Politicians should stop thinking of their own importance and leave people to have hobbies especially when it causes no harm.

All our descendants have lived with these plants, why can't we?

Yes places like this probably have contributed to the do-gooders pushing for this.

morally shaky ground with future generations :lol:

Theses are the people who continue to allow tobacco to be sold & happily sell off our seed banks to foreign cooperates.

They can only see to the next election & are only concerned with their super payouts & what board they will be offered a position on.

Edited by shortly

on the other hand there will be good opportunitys for young ethnobots with good plant knowledge to strike a career in the feds.

may be the only legal way to indulge.

((extremely toungue in cheek))

the laws wont stem people being drawn toward the psychadelic experience, and would be a huge cost to the govt to oppress some GENERALLY harmless human beings. good luck banning acacias. the cops will have to hire some botanists who know their shit.

they will have a hard time keeping tabs on the trichs, the central west is covered in em. they would be busting half the population.

its stupid.they need to be giving a psychonaught some respect for putting their mind out there!!

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

I don't think its wise having people expanding their consciousness willy nilly. Its a threat to national security, potentially bordering on terrorist activity :wink: Banning these plants is in our best interest . If we truly care for our freedom and the future freedoms of our children we should continue to study these plants safely from behind glass at the museum only. :slap:

Seems like this will be the end of Shaman Australis store? Is this correct or am I reading it wrong?

• Like 2

^ Not if we all band together . We are not giving up without a fight. Believe we can make a difference. Be optimistic.:)

• Like 2

Its not even possible, what are they going to cut down every dmt containing plant in Australia?? including there own brains?

Maybe a little Direct Action is in order?

Dutch Parliament sprayed with Spores!

Thats the only option left... I am sick of this place, and Im to poor to move away...

Something must be done, I am at breaking point, and I am sure Im not the only one.

What date is the protest??

We all have alot of acacia seeds, lets do the johnny apple seed thing and take off with a walking stick and a huge bag of seeds.

Edited by vual
  • Like 1

Do you know who is responsible for that site Tosten? There are some errors which could be corrected...