The Corroboree
solomon

Scary Films

seeing as its halloween i wanted to watch some scary films. i hate lots of that new shite like saw and slasher films.

anyone know any good horror films to watch?

i found the exorcist and the original chainsaw massacre unsettling

and i guess i have a taste for japanese stuff, ju-on, ichi the killer and audition are excellent even if the last two arent strictly horror.

human centipede was lols but anything but frightening

Edited by centipede

Where do you draw the line between Horror and Thriller? Anyways...

Rec.

Hellraiser

The Ring (original)

New Nightmare

Funny Games (haven't seen the original version, but apparently it's just as good as the remake)

Puppet Master

Ils

The Horseman

A Nightmare on Elm Street (original)

Event Horizon

The Thing

Child's Play

Van Diemen's Land

The Entity

Storage

Halloween :P

Fire in the Sky

Scream

Ravenous

Paranormal Activity

Seven

Evil Dead

The Shining

Happy Halloween, centipede!

http://www.archive.org/details/SciFi_Horror

This place is great for old horror and SciFi movies along with so much other burried treasure its amazing it took me so long to find the joint.

Check out some of the old cigarette commericals!

These Spud ones are some of the best, the Spud cigarette lab and hypnosis ones are killer.

http://www.archive.org/details/tobacco_odo23e00

Paranormal Activity

Seven

Lolwut?

I can't say that I have seen paranormal activity, but from reports I have heard, it is anything but scary.

Seven is no horror flick either, it was quite enjoyable. Wish I could help you with some flicks, but I avoid horrors like the plague.

Edited by Sheather

Lolwut?

I can't say that I have seen paranormal activity, but from reports I have heard, it is anything but scary.

How about saving judgment for a movie until you've actually seen it? How about that for an idea? After all, isn't it like the Golden Rule...

Seven is no horror flick either, it was quite enjoyable. Wish I could help you with some flicks, but I avoid horrors like the plague.

Neither are half of the others, but maybe that's why I said this:

Where do you draw the line between Horror and Thriller?

You might want to take another look at the original post as well...

First thing which centipede said: seeing as its halloween i wanted to watch some scary films.

Second-to-last thing which centipede said: i found the exorcist and the original chainsaw massacre unsettling

and i guess i have a taste for japanese stuff, ju-on, ichi the killer and audition are excellent even if the last two arent strictly horror.

human centipede was lols but anything but frightening

I watched Human centipede ( I cant believe i watched the whole movie) . That was sick . Got the gag reflex going. . I do like a good thriller or something with a twist at the end. I like the SAW movies but get nightmares from The Twilight Movie. (Its the whole Vampire thing). Another movie that i enjoyed is Constantine. It stars Keanu Reeves. 2005 film. It has supernatural themes. Actually, i highly recommend giving it a watch.

Paranormal Activity is scary as hell. I watch horror movies since i was a child and that one IS scary. Synchromesh named most of the really scary ones. Good taste in movies, synchro!

REC! 1 and 2 are great. Exorcist 3 is scary but overlooked. Blair Witch, Inside, The Devils Backbone, Hellraiser 2, The Omen, Tale of Two Sisters, Eden Lake (more sick than scary), Shutter, Audition, the 78er Version of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS with Donald Sutherland, Alien, The Thing, Cloverfield, Jacobs Ladder, Fire in the sky, Mothman Prophecies, Arachnophobia, The Brood, Pet Semetary, The Fog, Gates of Hell, Session 9, Case 39 and and and. :-) Have fun. bye Eg

But David Bowies junk is so shiny and bulging Dale! Haha.

Whoever isn't synchromesh, you should probably just ignore this next bit.

How about saving judgment for a movie until you've actually seen it? How about that for an idea?

Neither are half of the others, but maybe that's why I said this:

Where do you draw the line between Horror and Thriller?

Uh, saying that I haven't seen the film and that this was what I heard from others does reserve my judgement Synchromesh. How about not getting so damned aggressive, how's that for an idea?

I wouldn't bother categorising movies as horror and thriller when they aren't even remotely scaryeither.

You might want to take another look at the original post as well...

First thing which centipede said: seeing as its halloween i wanted to watch some scary films.

So yeah, perhaps looking at the original post is a good idea Synch. Seven was not a scary film. There seems little to no point in drawing any line between horror and thriller, as both categories are basically redundant when you are looking for scary.

Ichi The Killer's a great movie, but I wasn't particularly scared by it. Actually I very rarely get scared by movies even though I used to love horror movies. Just grew bored of them eventually I guess. Watched Nightmare On Elm Street 3 when I was 6 at a cousin's place and just dreamt about the pool we were going to be visiting the next day lol. I'm probably just immune from reading Stephen King books since I was quite young, not even reading It at 11 got me scared although the idea of some of the storylines - eg. the aeons old Turtle and the hurtling through space bit - I found horrifying on a fascination level. LOL ironically two episodes of The X Files have scared me; the one with the human worm with teeth in the sewer systems, and the one with a cryogenically frozen alien foetus (gave me nightmares about alien foetus' shooting laser beams from it's eyes). But I have a weird aversion to foetus'... probably stemming from that X Files ep...

I find movies about the paranormal a lot "scarier" than just gore. Cannibal Holocaust was just stupid IMO, as was Saw (plus I couldn't stand the dude that wrote it and used to be on Recovery). But since most horror movies recently tend to focus more on gore I haven't watched many new ones so can't really comment on those.

The very few movies that have actually made me jump, or get jumpy, are; Alien/s, The Exorcist, The Exorcism Of Emily Rose, and Jacob's Ladder.

LOL also the Gmork from Neverending Story deliciously scared the crap out of me when I was little. As did a couple of parts in Ghostbusters. Maybe it's just my sense of horror that's abnormal rolleyes.gif

(Bolded the post-appropriate bits to save anyone having to read the rest of the babbling lol)

The Omen,

Thank you, EG!!! I was trying to remember the name of this film when I first looked at this topic. This movie scared the bejeezus out of me when I was a kid.

Slightly off topic, but a really fun gore movie is the Hong Kong Flick "Yi Boh Lai Beng Duk"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116163/

Not really scary, but one of my favourite gore films of all time.

Paranormal Activity is scary as hell. I watch horror movies since i was a child and that one IS scary. Synchromesh named most of the really scary ones. Good taste in movies, synchro!

Thanks, EG. You too. :)

Labyrinth with David Bowie.

Dude's junk in my face for 90 mins is scary as hell.

:lol: Yeah, definitely a distraction that one. I remember seeing Labyrinth a couple of years ago at the cinema. And as soon as the first nut protector scene came on, people couldn't stop laughing until the film was over. :lol:

Uh, saying that I haven't seen the film and that this was what I heard from others does reserve my judgement Synchromesh.

Picking out one of my recommendations and laughing at it isn't judging? Well, I don't know what planet you're from, but fair enough...

How about not getting so damned aggressive, how's that for an idea?

Aggressive? If anybody has been aggressive here, it's you. That's right, the rude nitpicker who has done nothing at all to help the OP...

I wouldn't bother categorising movies as horror and thriller when they aren't even remotely scaryeither.

Should we start calling them musicals then? And besides that, how would you know if they're scary or not?

Sheather: Wish I could help you with some flicks, but I avoid horrors like the plague.

So yeah, perhaps looking at the original post is a good idea Synch. Seven was not a scary film.

I never said it was. But anyway, if Seven didn't disturb you in the slightest, then what did?

There seems little to no point in drawing any line between horror and thriller, as both categories are basically redundant when you are looking for scary.

In other words, centipede should have watched some Snuff movies instead? :scratchhead:

I love how you claim to be bulletproof against Horrors, yet you don't watch any of them...

seven creeped me out..saw it at the movies! when that drug addict coughed on the bed i screamed in the theatre lol i am a pussy though...

big ups for Constantine!! wasnt there meant to be a constantine 2??

sixth sense scared crappers out of me lol

i cant watch saw, ewww. i dunno i cant watch psychological suffering. thats just wrong and obscene to me.

ive no idea how someone could watch (or want to watch) that human centipede movie.

i watched the "elephant man" at school in yr 8. That movie played on my mind at night, and always thought the elephant man was standing outside my bedroom window. took me till yr 10 to get over it lol.

Xtro and IT are the only to movies that have really scared me to the point of having nightmares or something. that was when I was a kid though Im not sure how scarey they would be now.

I grew up watching gore and horror movies, whenever I went to my grandmothers for holidays I would get a couple of movies most days of the week and most of those would be from the horror or thriller section.

Blood and guts didnt bother me in the slightest in movies or real life until I was about 18, by that time I had experinced enough accidents and real life gore that now it makes me want to puke at times and I find stuff like SAW hard to watch. Its amazing how quickly my views changed.

i have MISERY dvd

something about it i find really hard to watch.

yes i found SAW pretty pissweak, have not seen rest tho.

of course HOSTEL gets a mention, the pre curser is pretty scary........also imagine being a paying killer is pretty weird, unfort it had no substance.

just look up VLAD THE IMPALER if you want to get scared, how come hollywood hasnt converted that story...ewwww, lube anyone.

seven creeped me out..saw it at the movies! when that drug addict coughed on the bed i screamed in the theatre lol i am a pussy though...

That scene gets me every time. Creepyness galore!

i cant watch saw, ewww. i dunno i cant watch psychological suffering. thats just wrong and obscene to me.

Forget Funny Games then!

I just watched THE CHANGELING which is pretty good too. I also hate movies like FUNNY GAMES who make you feel depressed afterwards. EDEN LAKE is pretty much the same. I was pissed for one whole week after i saw the fucked up ending of the film. Im still pissed when i think about it. :P

ohhw, I liked saw.tongue.gif . Blood and gore i can handle ( the fake stuff!), but ghosts worry me. I keep looking at Paranormal Activity at the shop and now, after what you guys have said, i think i will keep away from that one. When i was a kid, i watched things like Frankenstein, Dracula, Count Dracula ,etc..... ,i loved the films with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing in them. They were scary like 30 years ago. Funny to look back on now, with all the latest CGI stuff , theres no comparison.( classics though).

How about The Gate? I don't know if it'd freak me out now, but it did when I was a kid.

Edited by synchromesh

How about The Gate? I don't know if it'd freak me out now, but it did when I was a kid.

Just saw the Remake "The hole", which was directed by Gremlins Director Joe Dante. Pretty decent movie though it kinda lost it at the end.

I thought The Hills Have Eyes(2006) which was shown on TV on Halloween was pretty good, it definately had it's moments and I'm not easily scared. I remember liking the original as well.

American Werewolf in London is always about the top of my list, watch it with the lights off.

The Original 1978 version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnkJ7LUIUos

Requiem for a Dream (Maybe more creepy than scary ?pretty disturbing film not a good date movie lol)