The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
KanJe

Greenhouse robbery

I woke up this morning, walked out my front door to see a A. asterias graft out of it's pot next my letter box. So I thought wtf? A couple of metres away I see another plant out of it's pot, an A. myriostigma, wtf? I continue to walk around the side of my house to see one of my bigger T. peruvianus snapped in half with a cut half way through it. Again my thoughts are wtf? As I get to my backyard I can see all my Trichos are there out side so I continue to my green house....WTF!

After managing to stop hyper-ventilating I can count 10 trays missing. Around 200-300 plants all up I think. All of these trays contained my most rare cacti, mostly mexican varieties. Also the mother plant of a rare sage maybe 60 cm tall.

Some of the types cacti stolen were as follows,

Lophophora williamsii

Lophophora diffusa

Lophophora diffusa x williamsii

Ariocarpus hybrids

Ortegocactus macdougallii

Astrophytum asterias cv SK's etc. (2 were around 10cm wide)

Astrophytum caput-medusae

Obregonia denegrii

Turbinicarpus (too many to remember, 1 about 10cm wide)

20 x selenicereus wtf?

some weird stapeliads, pseudolithos and trichocaulons

various Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Rebutias, Lobivias.

Cleistocactus

These are the ones I noticed strait off the bat. I'll name more later when I get home as I was in a bit of a state this morning. If there are any wise guys out there who are thinking of giving me shit out of charity or pitty that's not what I want. I just want to put it out there in case anyone sees any of these plants out there suspiciously together all of a sudden.

Just putting it out there.

To the thief if you may read this for some reason. I hope your urge for indulgence and shear disrespect leads to hours of agonising pain from the Euphorbias you took. :crux:

Sigh...

edit: For some reason they left my A. myriostigma cv. lotusland, bonus i guess

Edited by KanJe

oh man! i feel soooo bad for you, that is really seriously fucked :ana::puke:

try not to get too depressed though, you can always rebuild

i'm really sorry bro. perhaps you could try to see it as a lesson in non attachment :unsure:

That is just beyond fucked. How the hell does someone do shit like that?! :ana:

So sorry to hear about this. I hope that it isn't anyone off this forum. Nothing shits me more than having some two-faced cowardly backstabber lurking around.

Is much of your collection left?

Man I hate to say this but its obviously someone who knows you closely and that you have showed your collection to if it wasn't that person that stole it it was ceratinly someone they have told , I would be asking myself who you have shown it to of late in saying that I hope your cactus manages to spike the low life in the eye there's nothing more infuriating then ignorant fuckwits staeling something you have put so much effort in to

Son of a bitch, there isnt much I can say other than I feel for you... well maybe also a little bit of BOOO and some HISSSSS!!!!

You must feel so violated and taken advantage of, insecure in your own surroundings, burglary can have a real psychological impact that is often over looked.

So did it happen while you were home?

Are any of your neighbors keen plant collectors or drug users? or do you think that, gulp, it was one of your 'friends' (or one of their friends)?

Out of curiosity have you ever had any forum members to your house?

I remeber at least 2 other members that have had their collections raided over the years, so not OK and such a massive amount of bad karma.

No doubt that karma will have something to say about it in the end, be it some sap in the eye or the wrong cactee in the guts. one can only hope.

I would have to say that about roughly half my collection was taken. Two or three trays belong to Prier which also pisses me off.

There are 2 trays of Dolichotheles that were left which doesn't make sense either. I was home asleep when it happened.

The thoughts of who it might have been has gone through my mind. None of the members here have entered my mind, they have all been too nicer people.

One thing I do know is that I will never again impart my knowledge to anyone of their potential uses, who don't already have this knowledge.

Even if I can pin it down to who it is, what would I do next?

I would be devastated, that is aweful news.

Someone tried to gain entry to my place on Wednesday night while I was at the pub. My housemate called me absolutely terrified, fortunately she was able to set the dog on them and it doesn't look like they got much past the side gate. I was home 10 minutes later, my initial thoughts were it was either an opportunitistic break in which was cut short by the dog, or someone was trying to make off with my cactus.

This was the only time where I thought I could do with a second dog, just for double measure. Everyone runs from an attacking dog.

Im sorry for your loss.

thats fucked man you had a really impressive collection too, fuck, sorry to hear this happened. you must feel violated i would

Shit man , sorry to heat about that.

this has been on my mind a bit recently. have you told the police?

all I can say man is FFFFFAAAAAAAARRRRRRKKKING CUNTS... thieves are the lowest forms of lives ...grrrrr this shit make same mad..madder than anything cause I've been the victim of being robbed more than a dozen times....I'm soooo sorry man...maybe we can all donate you a plant each and help get your collection back up or donate some coin as a forum so you can go back out and buy some more...sheeesh I'm heartbroken for you dude...and it always happens to seemingly nice people too.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Dude thats so fucked up :angry:

With that many cacti the dollar value alone would be huge. If its an option I'd report it to the cops, at least then if you find out who's responsible you already have the break in on file and take action. Of course its always a double edged sword - do you want the local cops knowing your enthusiasm for rare cacti...

I'd bet my right arm that whoever is responsible will be back for the rest at some stage. I'd be taping some razor blades to the sides of your pots and trays, upturned nail-planks on the ground etc etc. Oh what a shame it would be if that robber accidentally sliced open their hand next time....

Other than that, if its not possible to padlock gates etc, then set up a sensor light or sensor siren for motion detection. If they're brave enough to rob you while your at home asleep, perhaps they'll try it again and you can give them a well deserved beating.

Even if I can pin it down to who it is, what would I do next?

At the very least make it known to all their friends/family/collegues that they are a thief. This kind of publicity causes thieves much damage.

This sort of bastardry is the stuff that makes me understand why they cut off the hands of thieves. It was hard enough giving my old collection away when I moved, but having one such as yours stolen from under your nose must cut to the bone.

These scum hurt all of us when they hurt one. If they're in any way associated with the cactus community they're relegating themselves to the fringes, because cactophiles have long memories... One way or another, I hope that they are found...

My own restarted collection is all seedlings, cuttings and smallish plants at the moment, but when they grow a bit I'd be more than happy to help you restock, if I have anything that might fill a gap. If you don't mind seeds, I have a few leftovers that you're welcome to take.

Cheers KanJe, and hoping that you have better fortune in the future.

• Like 1

At the very least make it known to all their friends/family/collegues that they are a thief. This kind of publicity causes thieves much damage.

Without evidence I would hate to wrongfully accuse someone. I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I've told the police for insurance purposes. I don't think will be an issue with them knowing about my hobby. I'm simply a cacti enthusiast who has a large variety of plants. I'm also a member of the Australian cactus and succulent society. I don't see danger there.

I'm going to padlock the gate and try and think of some other security measures.

I think paradox is right. My reality will always displayed the most appropriate lessons at the best times for me to learn them. It's easier to let go.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words of sympathy. :)

I'm going to padlock the gate and try and think of some other security measures.

All you need is one or two Big Scary Dogs - I've been considering buying a ridge back to keep gaurd over my plants although i need to move first as a detached townhouse does not have the yard size for such a big dog

since the police know, if they stumble over a load of out of place plants they can link you up.

I know you don't want charity. But if you want to fill some gaps, I have some spare plants and seeds I would be happy to send your way. nothing too fancy but nice plants. let me know via pm or other

Is your green house visible from the road? If its not then i would be seriously considering who you know who knows where your collection is and what was in it. If i were you i would be putting a lot of thought into evidence, motive and suspects. The answers to who did it are probably in your yard somewhere, or on the street - ask the people you know and judge their reactions.

This has made me paranoid about my best friends knowing what i have, apart from them no-one else knows. But you really just never know, i might go tell them i sold them all - just to be sure.

As for you, best of luck getting them back - it is not impossible.

Its a fucked thing thinking someone you know might be the culprit, but it sounds like they knew what was there & what they were after & that points to someone you know sadly

my dog now looks after most of my potted cacti after a couple went missing from out the front, Im sure they were only after the glazed pots the cacti were in because the bastards stole my sons blue torch a dwarf chin gymno & some spach

i hope you find out who it was for peace of mind

Edited by mac

The green house is visible from the road but chances are the thief didn't find out about the collection that way. All my Trichos were left. Chances are I know the person.

Either way it's not worth the energy trying to think about who did it as the plants are most likely destroyed based on the plants they took.

Ive had precious stuff nicked and it does your head in.

Once you get over the loss,you have the constant uncertainty of who it was,you lose trust in people.

Then,even with the kind folks here offering replacements,you are always going to be fretting over further violation of your space.

You can end up agoraphobic,not wanting to leave your stuff.

I sold my old house after a robbery,just to move on from the package of anguishes.

Having read all this thread,I think the key might lie in your membership to the Cactus club.

That gives your collection a wide profile,to those with a specific interest.

Seek you answers there.

You have a lot of genuine sympathy coming from this forum,from dudes who know how to project it.

I hope this energy helps you thru this shit.

Australian cactus and succulent society.

i forget the stats kanje but it was around 70% of thieves target somebody they know, please any members who are part of the above quote line or ties to whatever dont be too serious when i jest that having watched csi last night and being an odd 4000 clicks away with the information provided the butler in this mystery is a member of ACSS that knows alot about you.

however i could be way off

best of luck with your rebuild

gidgee on trip wires! jok :P i would seriously look at your neighbors as well. by the sounds of things they didnt do one load so prob live close! just throwing it out there! i feel for ya Kanje! this thread is turning into a FIND KANJES PLANTS thread!!! think posative man! hope you catch the scum!

Can't really add much without repeating what's already been said, but yeah, gutted for you :( Hope you are able to track down the theif :/

That's really sad Kanje, you have been very helpful to me in getting some ID and I feel sorry for what happened to you. Some bastards have no respect for people's passion - the plants we grow and dedicate our love and precious time to has much more value than $$$. I hope this culprit found and showen some justice. If there's anything to learn it's that we must open our eyes more and be more secretive about showing our collections to others, as well get some vicious doggy to scare off thieves.

That is seriously fucked. I'm happy to help fill some gaps if you want also if you want some trichocereus cuts.

Hope some leads turn up about who did it.