The Corroboree
KanJe

Wanker vs wild

I found this horrifying and I think he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Poor Fero... :angry:

pffft man vs wild! like it's a competition.

"everything in this desert..is out to get you".

he ripped the whole thing out of the ground, cut it in half, chewed only a tiny little peice of it. like there isn't a 4x4 parked behind the camera with 50 litres of water in it.

Very sad to see the only old plant in that area & he uproots it ?

im sure they could have used a nursery grown plant that they had purchased instead of going out & destroying a plant that has beaten the odds in harshest conditions just to survive

Anyone have a rough guess of age of a wild plant of that size ? i have seen 20-30+ year old plants around the same size you would think in those conditions that plant could have taken much longer to get to the size it did

with a bit of luck she threw out some roots & survived :unsure:

Edited by mac

Man i love that show!

Although i did cringe when he cut that cactus. oh well look at his eyes he got farked up from raiding a bee's nest! haha thats karma!!!

mac, in the wild i would bet older than that, that thing was HUGE. i also doubt it lived.....he fucked it right up, clearly they have absolutely no respect for nature and conservation :ana::slap:

hahahah this guy is fuckin crazy! I watched this show when I had access to foxtel, its pretty entertaining, the guy does some pretty far out shit and has been trained to a pretty high degree from what I gather.

This is 'Man vs Wild', not 'Living harmoniously with desert cacti', so naturally if you're in the desert and depending on your skills & tenacity to survive, it really can become a competition - the harsh bitch-mistress that is Mother Nature versus YOU!

KanJe, if you were at my place in the middle of nowhere, I wouldnt mind if you nibbled on a bit of my cacti :P

true enough, but in that situation its not survival, its ratings :BANGHEAD2:

like mac said, they could have giving the same show without harming something so old and slow. probably think i am a hippy, but that kind of stuff just for a tv show is kind of ridiculous.

kadakuda im the same im not a Peta activist or a nutty tree hugger but in my eyes its the same as slaughtering a animal & leaving it to rot

They could have gone about it better by setting up a nusery grown plant if they want to demonstrate how to survive, who knows maybe they did ? :rolleyes:

This is 'Man vs Wild', not 'Living harmoniously with desert cacti', so naturally if you're in the desert and depending on your skills & tenacity to survive, it really can become a competition - the harsh bitch-mistress that is Mother Nature versus YOU!

not arguing that mother nature can be a "harsh bitch mistress" (though a strangely enticing & desirable one) but with an attitude like that i don't think you'd survive very long in the desert.

IMO it'd be much more beneficial to work with her rather than against her. you know what i'm saying? synchronize with her cycles, rest during the middle of the day, respect her harshness, stay calm & be wise & use what knowledge you have to find water, food & shelter to the best of your ability. you'll stay alive much longer staying calm as possible with a clear mind to focus on doing whatever it is you can to survive rather than wasting precious water & energy by fighting 'against' an opponent who is infinitly stronger than your measly self.

IMO that show is shit & that guy is a wanker :bootyshake:

i really enoyed the part where he peed on his tshirt then wrapped it around his face!

im divided on the show, i mean hes saying hes clibing up this unclibable hectic mountain, hes struggling his ass of but the camera men next to him shooting from 1001 different angles seem to have no problem keeping up! and they are holding a camera!!!!

something just seems not right.... i can smelll a great waft of bullshit in there somewhere.....

fascinating and entertaining show though and i believe he gives some great tips, though im betting my 5 buks he follows in the footsteps of the late, great Steven Robert Irwin (RIP), and gets fuken mauled/poisoned by something.

oh yeah but eating the one and only slow growing cactus in the area IS bloody rediculous, as if they wouldnt have the most luciously stocked catering van!!

he could have said 'you could eat this lil cactus for moisture' instead of actually doing it...

i would give him a bitchslap but im afraid that dude would kick my arse something severe.

yeah dude Bear Grylls does some crazy shit like skin a snake and pissed in it then drank it!!!

as for following the footsteps of Steve Irwin, it wont be long! he almost dies all the time!

no one will replace Irwin, he did a lot of great things.

RIP.

I dunno,Austin Stevens is fairly cool.

They series producers also placed him out of his element recently.

Then there is arsonist and bushcrafter Mr Mears.

no one will replace Irwin, he did a lot of great things.

RIP.

I agree he did many good things! It was three years yesterday since he passed on, it's hard to believe it was that long ago! Time marches on!!

What a tosser f#@kstick its a good idea for a show and i have watched alot of them but he neednt kill the animals or cacti to prove you can survive im sure he could just explain how ,im sure most people already know how to eat and drink...this is definitly not reality tv...but what can you expecrt from someone thats been in the armed forces with all the programming...man vs wild, my ass man vs his own ego...ax the show or change it ..fake ass surviver post-4908-1252126662.jpg

g.jpg

g.jpg

this guys heaps better

Edited by xodarap

What a tosser f#@kstick its a good idea for a show and i have watched alot of them but he neednt kill the animals or cacti to prove you can survive im sure he could just explain how ,im sure most people already know how to eat and drink...this is definitly not reality tv...but what can you expecrt from someone thats been in the armed forces with all the programming...man vs wild, my ass man vs his own ego...ax the show or change it ..fake ass surviver post-4908-1252126662.jpg

Take it easy there Tiger, if you have a problem with government policy, say it, but I can vouch for plenty of people in the armed forces

[edit] lolz, and Russell Coight, and Les Hiddins for starters

Edited by rogdog

and Les Hiddins for starters

you can't go past bush tuckerman he's proper. now thats a real survival show :lol:

Edited by xodarap

Bear grylls is a bit of a tool. Les Stroud is way cooler and knows his shit way better that Bear. In this clip he completely owns Bear about the Barrel cactus, not to mention Les does all his own filming and a typical show is him out on his own for 7 days.

Goes for 10 minutes but at 0:54 is what you wanna watch. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z20-qA2R7k

cheers

Edited by Yawning Man

yeah Les Stroud is much more realistic and the scenarios he puts himself in are really interesting

^^^

lole, problem is neither is an expert on cacti. But i'd probably be more inclined to trust Les' word than i would Grylls. And if you really think about it, trying to gain hydration only from a cactus would give you a fair chance of being sick given the slimy texture of it's juice and the added water needed to digest it.

cheers

ok, to be fair i've just been watching some bear grylls episodes & apart from the fact he is a massive blockhead with what seems like very luttle sensitivity to the environment he's in & the show is totally over dramatized & most of his advice would be useless in a survival situation because he just does whats going to look cool for the show, not whats going to keep you alive necessarily... he IS a crazy bastard & he's very entertaining!

entertaining, crazy bastard to watch on telly but IMO still a massive wanker.

I used to watch a show called Lost In The Woods it was a UK survival show with a old SAS guy called brummie ? he knew his shit & made the show worth watching

i cant seem to find any video online but if anyone knows of any links with clips or episodes it would be much appreciated if they can post them here

Lost in the Woods

A guide to survival in which ex-SAS man Brummie Stokes shows outdoor novice Andy Collins some essential survival techniques. Brummie demonstrates how to gather water from condensation collected on foliage, and Andy finds himself catching eels for dinner

Edited by mac

Bear grylls is one of the biggest tards i have seen on TV.. He goes on about all his SAS training and shit, he spent 3 years in the SAS reserve - part time. Hes a weekend warrior, not some war hero like he makes out.

The most annoying thing about this guy, is the fact he makes up bullshit or does simply stupid things just for ratings in obviously staged scenes.