The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
faustus

Ben: Diary Of A Heroin Addict

long shot, but can anyone tape it?

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/abc2/200906...2009T213200.htm

Ben Rogers was a bright schoolboy from a loving, middle class family. He played in the orchestra, loved cricket and enjoyed the annual family holiday. But his future promise was halted when he started taking drugs in his teens. Early drinking led to cannabis, harder drugs, and then the revelation to his family, at the age of 21, that he was addicted to heroin.

Over the next 13 years Ben and his family battled with his addiction, going through detox, rehab and attempts at 'cold turkey', but his health gradually declined. Whilst attempting another detox aged 34, he died from a brain haemorrhage.

But during the last two years of his life, Ben filmed an unflinching video diary showing his final desperate attempts to come off heroin. It's a portrayal of his descent; intimate, raw, and at times difficult to watch, he talks to his glove puppet as he injects into a vein in his groin.

It is also a very intimate portrait of a family battling to save their son. He tells the camera: "I hope that when you look at this afterwards that you don't think I'm self-pitying because I know that I've done this to myself." Yet we see the impact on his mother in her sheer frustration, anger and tears, as Ben fluctuates between searing honesty and manipulating deception. Days before his death, Ben weeps into the camera that he knows he is losing his battle, and begs those watching the footage to use it to show how powerful and deadly the drug can be. His mother is now determined to warn teenagers of the effects of drugs.

I'll tape it faustus.

Edited by Alchemica

Already got it qued up so if it's a PiTA for anyone I'll upload it... lemme know. Hope all's well faustus, really greatful for the camp side discussions.

Already got it qued up so if it's a PiTA for anyone I'll upload it... lemme know.

Im keen on an upload of it :lol:

Got it on tape - feel free to PM me faustus and I'll send it on if you can't be stuffed downloading it.

Quite a drug-fiend TV marathon tonight... some good stuff on before and after - thanks for the heads up!

Edited by Alchemica

This was a brilliant Doco. Bloody hard to watch though. I think seeing it once is enough.

Is there any where to download or see this doco on line.....I missed it and would love to watch it...anyone have it on CD or DVD etc..will trade sumthin for a copy or if someone could direct me to an online view of it thad be sweet.

H.

What his poor Mum didnt understand was that there are different 'bottoms' for everyone, unfortunatly sometimes that bottom is death and Ben was on a one way ticket to his grave.

While Im sure those were the worst 'nods' he had over the 3 yrs of filming he obviously had a major death wish.

It was all too familar at some points, it made me cry more than once but then so did Oprah earlier in the day so who knows.

Edited by AndyAmine.

compulsory viewing for anyone considering smack (or IV anything for that matter).

I was deeply saddened and angered by his situation, but at the end of the day, the only person I feel was responsible for his plight was Ben.

i watched it with my wife which was brave of her.

It's hard to condemn people for weakness, some people just are but I found his total self-absorption to be infuriating & frustrating but I guess it goes with the territory. I felt sorriest for his old man, can't help but wonder if the burden of Ben's plight contributed to his demise.

Thats one of the truly pitiful things about addiction though, it does envelope everything.

You become little more than a black hole of neediness and dependency sucking in everything and everyone that comes into contact with you.

All that matters is how you feel from one moment until the next. you don't want it to effect other people but it does.

It was also pretty silly of him to try and detox from both smack and 'done at the same time.. no wonder he jumped out of his 2nd story window to try and get on..

Also, In case anyone missed this.

Alex James: The Cocaine Diaries!

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/abc2/200906...2009T212700.htm

In this very personal documentary, former cocaine addict Alex James, bassist of Britpop band Blur, travels to Colombia at the invitation of the Colombian president to see first-hand what the cocaine industry is doing to the country and its people.

Colombia now accounts for 62 percent of the world's cocaine production, a trade the UN estimates to be worth USD70 billion (AUD94.8 billion) worldwide. Cocaine has overtaken coffee as Colombia's top export, producing over 610 tonnes a year.

Now clean, Alex has turned his talents to farming and making cheese, so as a farmer as well as a former addict, this visit is both interesting and poignant for him.

Once in Colombia, with near-unrestricted access, Alex meets the farmers, the sellers and the enforcers. He visits an anti-narcotics base where the Colombian military are overseeing the chemical spraying of hundreds of hectares of coca plantation and workers are pulling up the plants by hand - a job fraught with danger since the plantations are often landmined and the workers shot.

He visits makeshift labs where the coca leaves are made into base cocaine, and he spends time with a dealer and a hit man who tell him their business - mostly drug related - is good. Shortly after, it transpires, the hit man is himself murdered.

Alex admits he spent a million pounds (AUD2.02 million) on cocaine and alcohol during the height of Blur's fame, a fact that is put into sharp perspective when he finds out that a gram of cocaine sells on the Colombian streets for just one pound (AUD2.02) and is the cause of 17,000 murders every year in Colombia.

Has anyone got a link to Download for this, All i can find is the Iview thingy on the ABC2 site!

Cheers,

MOJO.