The Corroboree
t st tantra

rain at last in sa!

rain......the wet stuff fall out of the sky......if youre young you may not remember it.......

if we have had normal autumn rains the season begins quite reliably about the last week in may.

i dont think we've had enough rain til now.

the usual thinking is it will take six weeks from rain to fruiting so my guesstimate would be the second week of june......but could be a week earlier .......or it will be last week in may if previous light showers had enough effect.........

t s t .

Man you guys sure have it hard down there with dryness huh...I always here of little rain and searing hot summers that kill off some of your plants cactus included...tough place to live hey.

We also got a good bit of rain last night here just over the SA border into NSW, hopefully we will get some follow up rain as its been dry as a bone out this way

I put all the potted cacti out for a good drink last night & may slip out bush at the end of the month to see if i can get some pics of the mushrooms that grow out here in the semi arid zone

Edited by mac

Yeah, it sucks here sometimes. I went out to the "forest" today to see how things were looking. Nice and damp and such, no streams or anything yet... some pools of water.

Anyway, I reckon it could happen sooner than you think. Now, I do not have a very good hunting spot near by, I have only ever found a "few" samples of the good stuff in the past. Anyway, the reason I say sooner than you think is because I did find this today:

post-6001-1241314381_thumb.jpg post-6001-1241314397_thumb.jpg

A good indication of the right conditions me thinks. I also found a stump of "something" lying around, that looks like it had it's top cleanly cut off.

post-6001-1241314942_thumb.jpg

And btw, I am new here... so hello! :)

post-6001-1241314381_thumb.jpg

post-6001-1241314397_thumb.jpg

post-6001-1241314381_thumb.jpg

post-6001-1241314397_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zenerol

Yeah, it sucks here sometimes. I went out to the "forest" today to see how things were looking. Nice and damp and such, no streams or anything yet... some pools of water.

Anyway, I reckon it could happen sooner than you think. Now, I do not have a very good hunting spot near by, I have only ever found a "few" samples of the good stuff in the past. Anyway, the reason I say sooner than you think is because I did find this today:

post-6001-1241314381_thumb.jpg post-6001-1241314397_thumb.jpg

A good indication of the right conditions me thinks. I also fou nd a stump of "something" lying around, that looks like it had it's top cleanly cut off.

And btw, I am new here... so hello! :)

Hello! I'm new here also. And I live in SA. Do you live in Adelaide? Those are some nice finds. I've been searching around my region the last couple of seasons to no avail :(

Hopefully this year is a slightly better story! Good luck to all hunters in the coming months

saw one and a pin in an irrigated mulch bed a week or so ago.......

t s t .

Yeah Ive been looking at annual rainfalls and averages for months of the year in comparison to last year..... the spot I like to go picking at now this month has had 0.4mm of rain compared to the same month last year there was 56.9mm....so I think we are looking at dryness all round the country in the inland regions...the coast areas always get their fair share of showers but as soon as you head 100klms inland the grass is brown and the maps I read indicate a very dry season all round so far for the bush and picking areas. I'm sure the rains will come soon, but it's interesting none the less to compare the months from last year to this year and note some very vast differences...I might add though at 0.4mm rain fall there have still been enough fruits to pick as the heavy dew and frosts have given enough moisture...that's probably the reason they look kinda weird and different colored than normal. Can only imagine how things will be after a solid week of nice steady rain.

Rain dance anyone.

H.

the guess who!......youre a bit too young......

t s t .

'the guess who' song 'rain dance'......they also did 'american woman'[stay away from meeeee]

t s t .

I went out today and found heaps of Anamitas and Lactarius. No boletus or other myc I was looking for. Only a week or two longer I reckon

What kind of habitat do Amanita grow? I've got a lot of pine forest around where I live, but it's mostly man-made forest.

Never tried Amanita, I've heard so many differing opinions about it... it's poisonous, it's not, it's great, it requires a very specific dose or you'll die, it's harmless... er *confuzzled*

Went to Kersbrook area today and had a look around, plenty of fly agarics, literally over 50 or 60 big specimens in a small area. Found about 12 subs, ranging from quite small to medium in size. Most of them were a little old, but far from rotting. I imagine there will be heaps over the next week or 3 with the rain forcasted, but I am only here on holidays so I will miss out on them!

It's great to not have to go commando style like in WA. These stained more green than blue.

Wow, congradulations! Must have popped up after the last rain.

I haven't found anything for 2 or 3 years. The follow-up rains just haven't been there. Last year was real close, just needed one more decent rain and there would have been a decent flush I'm certain. In the old days the Queen's birthday weekend was considered the start of the season proper. Looks like it might be this year as well, finger's crossed.

What kind of habitat do Amanita grow? I've got a lot of pine forest around where I live, but it's mostly man-made forest.

Never tried Amanita, I've heard so many differing opinions about it... it's poisonous, it's not, it's great, it requires a very specific dose or you'll die, it's harmless... er *confuzzled*

I do my mushroom hunting in plantation pines, so that is where I see them.

Very limited experience in the effects of amanitas, but 1 dried cap soaked in hot water makes a very tasty soup. People say 3 whole dried shrooms is an intoxicating dose

[edit] to be clear...amanita muscaria is what im talking about. There is a death cap in the amanita family

post-5097-1244118738_thumb.jpg

Edited by rogdog

Wow, congradulations! Must have popped up after the last rain.

I haven't found anything for 2 or 3 years. The follow-up rains just haven't been there. Last year was real close, just needed one more decent rain and there would have been a decent flush I'm certain. In the old days the Queen's birthday weekend was considered the start of the season proper. Looks like it might be this year as well, finger's crossed.

Thanks... There was heaps of mycellium around, and others had been through before us. Heaps of upturned fungi. This wasn't far off the main road, maybe 50 metres. Most of the subs were solitary, or two or three together max.

They are forecasting a month of rain so good luck to all of the SA folk.

Edited by focus

we went sunday 31st where you wanna go on your road trip rogdog and saw around 60 subs varying in age but very little in the way of pinning.

yeah and tons of flys.

So has anyone had much luck? I felt sure I'd at least see some signs today but nada, not that I looked that far. Maybe it's not cold enough, the nights have been pretty mild lately, 9 or 10 degrees.

Came home, picked lunch at some local landscaping.

post-608-1246689556_thumb.jpg

Then walking back to the car I saw these. Immediately thought "No! Couldn't be! Victorian woodchips maybe?"

post-608-1246689742_thumb.jpg

and I was right, it couldn't. :P

Yeah been a bit dry this season, that said did go out a few weeks ago and found a decent haul over a hundred or so.

tantra is on the money tho usually first week of may is on the ball. couple seasons ago we even got a few last 2 weeks of april. hopefully we can get some substantial rain that follows through eh :wink: Best bet is probably down south atm

TST - if we have had normal autumn rains the season begins quite reliably about the last week in may.
:wink:

If you get an early rain like the 60mm in April we had a couple of years ago, no doubt they pop sooner has early May is usually cold enough.

I think some areas would have had enough rain lately for sure. Hmm, frosty this morning.

B)

Edited by strangebrew

bump

any updates since the recent follow up rains or is it too early to look

TST - if we have had normal autumn rains the season begins quite reliably about the last week in may.

:wink:

If you get an early rain like the 60mm in April we had a couple of years ago, no doubt they pop sooner has early May is usually cold enough.

I think some areas would have had enough rain lately for sure. Hmm, frosty this morning.

B)

my mistake i meant last week in may, thanks for the correction Strangebrew! :)

Mac, Definitely Worth a look had a few finds earlier in the week down south - fleurieu peninsula pine. Decent haul for a few people but also know a few other ethnobots who went to same place a week prior, most places arent picked out and still worth investigating although around school holidays/weekends etc you will find the more well known patches more frequented and thus more likely to be picked depending on how thorough the pickers are :wink:

Was completely soaked when we were down there so most certainly should stay that way till the end of winter if the rains keep up. Also hear that out north and around the hills(East) is still producing - i havent been out there for a while though should be another flush or two all depending offcourse

Should have taken my camera. Check out the shroomery forums they usually have a SA sub hunting thread there every season with lots of nice photos and regular updates

Edited by -YT-