The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Bush Turkey

Jackpot

omg! I have found a abandend house which garden is full of T.Pach, i mean FULL!!! to much for me to deal with! i will have pics up soon! good old perth!

just went and got me a cutting (below) this house has to have over 100ft all up! There is even one that has taken ova a tree!

post-4590-1229256763_thumb.jpg

wow lucky bastid....

H.

Just out of curiosity, how does one "root" a section of cactus?.....i've seen 'em on ebay and it said something about being ready to plant....:wacko:

Nice man! Just be sure it is well and truly vacant before taking too many cuttings.

Just out of curiosity, how does one "root" a section of cactus?

UTSE and you'll be amazed at how easy it is to take cuttings and root cacti.

Edited by Ace

Nice man! Just be sure it is well and truly vacant before taking too many cuttings.

I'd stress this point.

You are actually stealing someone's plants (unless the house is actually abandoned which seems very unlikely - could be untenanted rental or home to those on an extended holiday).

At the very least attempt to contact the owner. Most people with large cactii are happy to share a few cuts, so you could make a friend as well.

I've worked 3-6month contracts in remote locations most of my working life and would not appreciate coming home from a job to find my garden 'liberated' as it had been deemed "abandoned".

ed

I'd stress this point.

You are actually stealing someone's plants (unless the house is actually abandoned which seems very unlikely - could be untenanted rental or home to those on an extended holiday).

At the very least attempt to contact the owner. Most people with large cactii are happy to share a few cuts, so you could make a friend as well.

I've worked 3-6month contracts in remote locations most of my working life and would not appreciate coming home from a job to find my garden 'liberated' as it had been deemed "abandoned".

ed

im 100% sure its abandoned... there is no roof or windows...its like a jungle!!!

i will be leaving heaps of em growing cause some are just to good to cut down!!!

could you get a pic of the setup!!

I am never there in the day...maybe! here is a pic of a pach round the corner but someone lives there... just think 10 times this pic!

post-4590-1229318243_thumb.jpg

i will be leaving heaps of em growing cause some are just to good to cut down!!!

i guess you gotta also think that the tips you cut off will allow for new growth in the near future too, seeing it is summer and all... One tip could well make for two soon... :)

Hey,hey,it's the fallen limbs!

The first rule of Cactus conservation,Fallen limbs suggest neglect.

I would from an aesthetic point of view take the stem right back to soil level.

What they don't see don't hurt 'em.

I would from an aesthetic point of view take the stem right back to soil level.

What they don't see don't hurt 'em.

my experience with said situation sis as such:

find the land owner and approach them, get permission to either trim the plant out or take cuttings, or even in this situation remove the plant and buy off him.

once u have permission, for the aesthetic approach u can remove one third of the plants maing arms low to the base and any diseased/calloused looking sections... or if u have permission just remove the whole plant, section into pieces towards the tips for straight into pots cutivation, then middle logs for callousing and trading, and older and diseased sections can be placed around orignal plant base for re-growth.

usually if the plant is to remain only remove one third of it, however in this situation id say there is every likelihood the owner doesnt see any value or worth inthe plant and may well bulldoze/level the block at some stage, plant with it.

any snooping round at night that is noticed will detract from possibility of accessing the plant on a larger official level.

Id be more then happy to fly over and take care of it with you, big old pedro is a great plant, infact one of my favourites!!

Just out of curiosity, how does one "root" a section of cactus?.....i've seen 'em on ebay and it said something about being ready to plant....:wacko:

cut CLEAN... root powder (optional)..... leave in sun till sealed like woody... move to shade... wait till roots come out..... plant in sandy soil just enough to stand up!!!

cut CLEAN... root powder (optional)..... leave in sun till sealed like woody... move to shade... wait till roots come out..... plant in sandy soil just enough to stand up!!!

Yep thats it but you don't really have to wait for roots to come out or leave in the sun..about 1 month lying on some newspaper on a shelf outside somewhere in the shade is good...when it's calloused over plant it out where you want them to grow and Bob's your Uncle, fanny's your Aunt.

H.

hey im a bit new to this wat is meant by T.Pach ? im guessing the type of cacti ? but wat one does T.Pach refer too

Never leave an unrooted cactus in the sun. Root powder is unneccessary - never used it and everything here roots just fine (no jokes intended :P). Simply slice a section, either a tip or mid section, any size you like - remember the more sections, the more plants, even if each section is only 10cms long to start with. Place that/those section/s in shade with no moisture and the wounds will turn from open watery cuts to dry and hard wounds (over a week or two). Once the wounds are dry, plant in almost any soil at around 2-3cms deep (give or take, dependent on height of cutting) - Trichocereus are very hardy and will tolerate almost any soils (provided there is sufficient drainage). The cutting will shrivel for a few weeks and will eventually fatten up again, indicating it has rooted. Before you know it there'll be new growth, either at the tip or by means of pups (depending on if its a tip or mid section).

No need to wait until roots form to pot the cutting - it'll root while in soil just fine.

wat one does T.Pach refer too

Yep, Trichocereus pachanoi, a species of columnar (tall) cactus.

Edit: The reason why you dont leave unrooted cacti in full sun is because they dont have a root system to draw water from and will burn in the sun within minutes, leaving bad scarring for life, and in some really bad cases the cutting may dehydrate to the point of death.

Edited by Ace

Never leave an unrooted cactus in the sun. Root powder is unneccessary - never used it and everything here roots just fine (no jokes intended :P). Simply slice a section, either a tip or mid section, any size you like - remember the more sections, the more plants, even if each section is only 10cms long to start with. Place that/those section/s in shade with no moisture and the wounds will turn from open watery cuts to dry and hard wounds (over a week or two). Once the wounds are dry, plant in almost any soil at around 2-3cms deep (give or take, dependent on height of cutting) - Trichocereus are very hardy and will tolerate almost any soils (provided there is sufficient drainage). The cutting will shrivel for a few weeks and will eventually fatten up again, indicating it has rooted. Before you know it there'll be new growth, either at the tip or by means of pups (depending on if its a tip or mid section).

No need to wait until roots form to pot the cutting - it'll root while in soil just fine.

wat one does T.Pach refer too

Yep, Trichocereus pachanoi, a species of columnar (tall) cactus.

Edit: The reason why you dont leave unrooted cacti in full sun is because they dont have a root system to draw water from and will burn in the sun within minutes, leaving bad scarring for life, and in some really bad cases the cutting may dehydrate to the point of death.

i was told to leave in the sun so it seals before any bacteria gets in??? myth aye? cheers for your input, will come in handy!

i was told to leave in the sun so it seals before any bacteria gets in???

I wouldnt say a myth so much as another, much harsher method of acheiving something fairly easy. As long as there is a bit of air circulation and minimal external moisture, the wound will heal in a few days and you'll have no probs with bacteria/rot. And keep the watering to a minimum while it is unrooted - there is a lot of water in all cuttings and they will use their own stores to power the root formation. Excessive watering while there are no roots means wet feet and an unhappy cactus :)

Remember, with any cactus, keep the watering to a minimum and never water when the soil is already wet or if there is signs of new/recent rot. It should be noted that rot will not neccessarily kill a plant, most of the time it can be cut out and the wound healed (like a cutting, even if it's a small chunk taken out the side of a plant) or watering is completely halted while the plant heals itself. Once the rot has stopped spreading and looks to have crusted over, watering can be resumed as usual.

Hope this helps :)

ive never had any trouble with my method.. goes like this:

leave fresh cut exposed to dry heat (i.e sun sitting on concrete) till nicely calloused, maybe a wek two at the max.

put into fresh potting mix (whatever ur prefferred blend) and compact soil/mix as hard as possible. keep out of rain.

after a few weeks sit pot in small amount of water occasionally to allow some moisture to wick into lower section of pot promoting root growth.

within one month of putting in soil the plant should be well taken, u should be able to feel this by moving it slightly and feeling resistance.

as long as there is good drainage and the plant isnt getting too muc water it is ready to go out into all weather/get watered.

never had any rot and produces well taken plants within 1.5mths from taking original cut.

i think in general people are over cautious/precious to the point of dehydrating plants and also slowng down development of plants.

i was told to leave in the sun so it seals before any bacteria gets in???

You were told right. Expose the cut surface to sunlight straight away if possible because a skin will form quickly, just a couple of hours, reducing any chance of infection.