The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

green fairy absinthe

GreenFairy.jpg

Came across this in the bottleshop. On the label it says it has a high thujone content. Anyone had any experience w/this Polish spirit?

yeah ive drank this before. i found it in a bottle shop a while ago, had a 60% label over the alc volume, peal off the label and it was 70 or 80%.. found that odd. but not very effective outside that.

Dr Jekeyll feels fairly rich in thujone, tho people still dispute its effects due to exagerated urban legend. personally only effects ive gotten from thujone has been auditory hallucinations and hightened music appreciation in huge doses of thujone.

One theory is that absinthe of old was tainted with copper sulfate, the toxic effects of which providing its effects. some claim copper sulfate is intentionally added for the green colour, i dont know personally.

A mate of mine that loves his spirits (and can be trusted to go home with whatever bottle the pert young thing in booze barn tells him to buy haha) turned up at ours with this stuff... it tasted like ouzo meets mouthwash, with a herbal edge, and didn't do much beyond what I'd expect from a bottle of OP anything. He was a tad vexed when I explained that for the same price he should've gotten a bottle of OP bundy and grabbed a stick on the way, :lol:

It'd be a nice drop at 10 bucks a bottle... personally I can't stomach glycerine laced syrupy things.

Overall, I've had more sparkly effects from a bottle of homemade ouzo with star anise running high.

VM

should've gotten a bottle of OP bundy and grabbed a stick
-- good call
homemade ouzo with star anise running high
-- good idea :wink:

yes it's disgusting. also it is not polish. also "absinth" is not "absinthe". visit the wormwood society for more info (though they try to push the "zero secondary effects" view, which i don't go for). I think absinthe's effects are due to the complex combination of ingredients rather than just "THUJONNNNNNE!" as spouted by the shitty czech spirits people.

buy some real absinthe and see how that goes. the only brands i have seen in bottle shops are this crap^, Pernod (i have some, it is quite good but extremely anisey), La Fee, and Teichenne (spanish). the general consensus is that anything not from France, Switzerland or Spain is not really absinthe and not worth the time. edit: or the money! the worst brands are often the most expensive.

Edited by frank

if it doesnt louche dont buy it. la fee parisian is alright, definately dont get the la fee bohemian.

I personally didnt mind that one. I have also just bought a bottle of Pernod and found the anise flavouring overpowering and not really to my taste. The Green Fairy definitely gave me a subtle but noticeable different buzz to normal spirits (not just due to the high percentage) - more clear headed.

I agree with the comments that the Absinthe effect is more due to the combination of ingredients rather than just thujone.

Traditionally louching versions of Absinthe are 'superior' (to the purists), but the effect is simply due to the oils present in the alcohol, which usually mean a stronger flavouring in the drink.

Have a read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe

Edited by TAG

Hi

Yeah i bought some of that green fairy absinthe too. I had been reading a bit about absinthe, and keen to try it, and i saw it in the bottle-o and thought what the hell i'll give it a try. Gotta try these things so you have something to compare against i reckon. but yeah probably won't buy that brand again.

I did notice a definite clarity that alcohol doesn't normally have, but there were no other real effects apart from the alcohol itself. except my dreams. I was having a small glass every day for a bit and my dreams during this period became a lot more surreal than normal. A lot of very wierd stuff was appearing in my dreams, and the only thing i can attribute it to was the absinthe.

I bought some of the sab "le fee" concentrate / oils, and tried that with the same effects on my dreams. also the same clarifty and also something else i can't put my finger on. after trying the sab "le fee" the green fairy does definitely taste like anise mouthwash or something, so 1/3 of a bottle is still sitting in my cupboard somewhere.

I haven't tried any other absinthe's but keen to track some down. I just love the anise flavour anyway.

cheers, Obtuse.

Traditionally louching versions of Absinthe are 'superior' (to the purists), but the effect is simply due to the oils present in the alcohol, which usually mean a stronger flavouring in the drink.

Have a read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe

absinthe that doesnt louche (or more appropriately absinth) has been artificially coloured and flavoured and is guaranteed to taste like shit, absinthe that does is superior because it usually offers a more complex balance of flavours rather than overwhelming anise

Edited by genki

absinthe that doesnt louche (or more appropriately absinth) has been artificially coloured and flavoured and is guaranteed to taste like shit

My understanding is that Absinthe has to contain the essential oils. Otherwise it is not the real thing, i.e. the absinthe vs the absinth thing.

anyway, looking at the back of the green fairy bottle we have:

Horka lihovina

slozeni: lih, bylinny destilat (smes bylin a koreni), cukr, aroma, barviva E133, E102.

"All products that have a note "horka lihovina" are meant to contain between 11 and 35 mg thujon and are declated as bitter" (from http://www.absinth24.net/shop/absinthe_glo...a_lihovina.html). When i googled this there was other stuff about it on other sites, going into much more depth, which is quite typical of the degree of complexity in the whole absinthe interest. In the past i have found lots of conflicting bits of information from various experts, so not so quick to believe info about absinthe anymore.

from what i can translate of the rest it is mostly alcohol, sugar, flavour, dyes E133, E102. what is "bylinny destilat"?

Anyway the point being is that yeah this stuff is pretty fake really with lots of flavouring and colouring. (edit: still got thujone though!!)

cheers, Obtuse.

Edited by obtuse

as far as i can make out "bylinny destilat" translates as 'herbal distillate'.

I find it to be not much good for me, I only drink a couple of times a year so i cant consume enough alcohol to get the levels of any thing else in there up to the required levels.

Last time i had a bottle I got a bottle of absinthe concentrate, I cant remember which one it was but from memory it was the one that was ment to make multiple bottles.

So i get carried away and add half this little bottle to an already flavoured commercial bottle and that tasted horrible, i couldnt drink it, left a soapy taste in your mouth for hours and if you burped even a day later you could taste it again, bad stuff.

Any how i couldnt drink it but a mate did and he was a mess, he only had about a third of a bottle and he was at one stage swimming in a dam in freezing conditions, later he was convinced the females that where present where witches and where putting curses on him so he went outside and talked to us through the window because he didn't want to be in a house with witches, I went to bed and he ended up sitting up playing the guitar until sun up, at around about which time he realised his fingers where bleeding from playing to long and to hard.

the stuff got right on top of him, ive seen other people drink more than he did and have virtually no effect other than drunk but it got him better than any one else I have seen on the stuff, he has said since im never drinking that stuff again.

The only thing i have found it good for is a couple of shots with some cid, seems to add a little something extra to it and make things happen a little differently.

back on the strength when i was looking into it a bit i read somewhere that the bottles that have less than 15 mg thujon / litre are not worth the money, the ones with 30 mg+ thujon / litre are apparently the ones.

Course, it's hardly rocket surgery to jam enough essential oils into 40 percent or stronger alc that will then go cloudy white when you water it back... plenty of homemade spice spirits do it, and some of those tasted worse than shit...

free tip : blackpepper samogon is lovely, but if you make it strong enough to louche, it'll burn your arsehole out in short order.

Also for some reason if you use essential oils from a bottle they'll cloud up on watering back a lil more quickly than if you reflux with solid ingredients... not sure why, just something I noticed. of course theoretically its purely based on relative concentrations but yeah.. something about commercial oils...

My personal favourite spiced liquor is... make a basic rum mash... run it thru a single pass pot still , aim for about 60 percent average, to the mash just before collection temp add three broken stars of anise, two cardamon pods, three cracked peppercorns, a stick of cinnamon and a lil lime peel... deeeeeelicious and sparkly too, if you get carried away as i once did and go including datura beans. No, I'm not about to even mumble a figure, your sanity is your concern. Keep a goodly amount of the head and start ditching tails fast... its about strength and purity not value for money... lovely stuff! If using heads worries you, save em to go in the next run, good way to even out batch variations. Generally won't louche in a real hurry, and is best chilled, in chilled shot glasses... no glycerine, caramel or sugars for mouth stickage..that way the strength is deceptive and despite being 55 percent or whatever, it won't taste quite that strong (sugar syrup increases perception of potency)... so the stuff sneaks up on you. A slight tawny edge in an otherwise crystal clear bevvie can be expected too, entirely natural.

I hear in Greece theres all kinds of village raki recipes based on datura, cannabis, opium and saffron combos... some people have all the fun.

VM

an interesting book,sort of scifi,'golden nineties' by lisa mason......much drug use,cocaine,morphine,strycnine,absinthe.....they are drinking pernod fils in 189? san francisco.the quote is

'after the first glass you see things as you wish they were.

after thesecond,you see things as they are not.

after the third,you see things as they are,

which is the most horrible thing in the world.'

there are 'holes' in the authors drug knowledge.

a prequel set in the 1960's called 'summer of love' was similar but with acid,speed etc.

i enjoyed them,will lend my copy of golden nineties locally.

t s t .

i brought a bottle awhile back i found best to mix with apple juice and not to strong, the 1st drink is awful, but you get a taste for it after that, i had to stop drinking it cus it made me angry as hell.

replying to an insanely old thread ( everything is revived/reused sooner or later :D), but felt the need to comment due to my insanely pissed-ness off 2 30-35ml shots of this stuff.

Got a bottle with a couple fo friends and my girl tonight and suddenly realised this was no ordinary alc

Right now am feeling (as stated or mentioned earlier) an extreme appreciation for all music (more than usual from alcohol)

strangely different to the usual inebriated affects of alcohol. (and this is off 60-70ml shotted in 2 hits straight (claims 60%)

Would have to agree that this is due to the synergistic effects of not only the herbs added, but of course...the alcohol itself all acting together to create one fucking good time!

ave to also note increased perspiration

used with Mary jane also

on that note....off to have another one and then peel label off this bad boy to see if i can confirm the reports of 70-80% being written on the bottle under the label :D

too late...smashed a hit straight from the bottle and have decided that this is def some potent shit! as if high proof grog wasnt enough....lets starty chuckign herbs and spices in to mix it up...

On another note

Im pretty sure SAB sells la fee verte extract....the 3 herbs needed to make true absinthe....

Torsten if your around and see this please feel free to help me revive this, as Artemsia absythium *scuse spelling was pretty much amongst the first plants i ever bought direct from your nursery. (such a beautiful place)

2Deep

Doubs absinthe is ultimate tasty, by far my fav brand can get it at Dan murpheys.

And, although it's not absinthe, AGWA is awesome! Gotta have it with lime though it's a great pick me up :)

I find the drunk-state from absinthe different to other alcohol. Maybe a bit more dissociative in that your mind's still working perfectly but the signal to the mouth/body is a bit static. I find 3 to 4 (no more) glasses of absinthe done the french way poured over the icecube to be a very nice smoothe feeling of inebriation. I wonder what Fly Ag-infused absinthe would go like? Probably taste like burnt arse but worth a shot (pun hyuck?)

wormwood and mj have a special thing going on together

Yeah. They love sliding up and over my rising gorge; everytime they party together.

Ce soir, j'ai trouvé la fée verte à Paris ...

The la fee product we sell contains the oils of all ingredients, but to get a more delicate flavour it should really be distilled from a 50-60% alcoholic solution. This brings across the lighter notes and leave behind the bitter crap.

I'll be doing a distillation workshop at EGA and should be covering this topic in some detail hopefully.