The Corroboree
Ace

TBM variants

Here are my babies.

This is one of four normal bridg pups, only this one has decided to give the spikes a miss. Interesting, hopefully it will keep it up.

post-2583-1189929676_thumb.jpg

post-2583-1189929473_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing this is the true "Penis cactus" form. I'm hoping it just keeps on going.

post-2583-1189929508_thumb.jpg

post-3859-1190297141_thumb.jpg

This is one of 3 of my TBMs and the only< one that is currently in grow phase.I love him so much:))

i just found this pic on the net of some greenhouse in france :drool2:

post-1277-1191135402_thumb.jpg

:drool2::drool2::drool2::drool2:

it looks like an incredible collection of tbm variants

Edited by MOSES
  • Like 1

That must be nice!

Heres a cool pic I found the other day

post-2263-1191137209_thumb.jpg

In that greenhouse pic, the uneven/undulating ones in the foreground aren't TBM I don't think - I've seen those before, they're something else.. The rest though - yuuuummmmm!

Looks more like Lophocereus schottii var. monstrosus, though I could be wrong, it's kinda hard to see them properly.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

Looks more like Lophocereus schottii var. monstrosus, though I could be wrong, it's kinda hard to see them properly.

Agreed. Doesn't look like a TBM both in shape and lack of basal spines/pups. could be hulks dick but the shape is to squiggly.

does anyone on here have any SPINELESS TBM plants or cuttings for sale? I have 3 TBMs but they all have some spines and I want to propagate the PROPER spineless penis plant

I'm guessing this is the true "Penis cactus" form. I'm hoping it just keeps on going.

I have one large TBM that started off looking just like yours with one spineless phallic pup coming out of a spiny rounder one. Since then all (15 or so) pups have been the round type with spines. It seems quite common for the first new pup of any offcut to be the phallic type, but this doesn't continue.

Let us know if it does though :)

yeah! I have on I got from ebay which looks exactly like the one above. Top majority looks fairly phallic but some spines grow out of the bottom of the shaft, hahahahahaa!

Any new updates about the Hulks wang clone being propagated in Oz? :lol:

Hi, i`m a new member, this would be my first post.

What i have here, nothing special. A couple of 'tip' shots, if they can be called that, on a TBM Short Form/clone B.

IMG_2022_edited.jpg

IMG_2002_edited.jpg

I do not find the clone B to be very photogenic, and mine is a bit scarred up by nature, and a never again application of either neem oil or safer soap.

I hope to contribute here and there in the future, my main interest is cacti.

...lots of spines, more so then mine.

AJ

Mr Smith once hypothesised that spination was proportional to amount of rain received, I found this to be true with my specimens.

hell thats amazing,...well now you mention it Apo that nice little specimen you sent up has alot more/longer spines then my local sourced ones do. Oh yeah and you were right about how well they pup, they are pumping like mad at the moment got 6 comming of 3 plants. Tis just lovely :) When I've finished moving I will post some pics.

thanks

AJ

ok got busy

the first two are localish and the last one is from apo

post-2739-1191850080_thumb.jpg

post-2739-1191850108_thumb.jpg

post-2739-1191850145_thumb.jpg

EDIT: ermm not quite as spiney as mels

Edited by Auntyjack

I`m not familiar with the water idea with TBM Short form, though I have heard of sunlight affecting spination in general. But in TBM Short form, simply having the aerioles would help. At any rate it looks like the pups in those(Auntyjack`s) photos may well be set to have more aerioles than their parent sections. In fact , they already do in most cases, I believe.

Length of the spines would be interesting to observe,..I think mine are consistantly long throughout the plant, it has about ninety sections, after several rough counts a month ago. But it has even been at it`s 'spot' for most of the 4-5 years iv`e had it. The variation would be in how much I have watered it, (more this year..). Winter is both the rainy season but also the dormancy period, also. I`ll have to look and see if spination has increased, longer spines.

One thing i will say, is that I believe watering/added firt increases pupping. And I have a predjudice that pupping comes in spurts. But i can`t confirm that whithout truly observing.

Edit- after going out and taking a look, it`s mostly the 'tip' sections that are both so spiny and possess increased number of aerioles. I`ll see if I can`t do a couple of photos over a wider range of the plant.

Edited by Mel

I'd have to agree Mel, the pups do indeed emerge in flushes.

I have a plant about the size of yours Mel,and it will always have a spring flush,a mid-summer flush and a fall flush.The number of pups gets larger annually as the plant gets larger itself.

The TBM are easily one the most interesting Trichs around,especially when you happen upon intermediate forms.

Oddly enough I've found that my tbm's from one source have both thrown 'reverted' pups this spring... normal bridgesii form. This has occurred after being shade-grown without rain (but watered at soil level) for the past year. My plants from 2 other sources have been under the same conditions yet stayed true to form :scratchhead: .

I'm in SeQ by the way.

Oddly enough I've found that my tbm's from one source have both thrown 'reverted' pups this spring... normal bridgesii form. This has occurred after being shade-grown without rain (but watered at soil level) for the past year. My plants from 2 other sources have been under the same conditions yet stayed true to form :scratchhead: .

I'm in SeQ by the way.

That would be I suspect Clone A,- the Penis cactus. I could see them doing that. People have seen what they thought was Clone A arising from a Clone B (short form) but I think it is strictly in appearance only, despite the visual simularity. No proof, but an individual at the Nook put forth a pretty strong arguement for something being rather Fundamentally different for Clone B as oppossed to a per usual monstrosus form. Not that that means it is.

If it isn`t clone A , i`d love to see a photo!

Hey SpunWhirllin!

Edited by Mel

That would be I suspect Clone A,- the Penis cactus. I could see them doing that. People have seen what they thought was Clone A arising from a Clone B (short form) but I think it is strictly in appearance only, despite the visual simularity. No proof, but an individual at the Nook put forth a pretty strong arguement for something being rather Fundamentally different for Clone B as oppossed to a per usual monstrosus form. Not that that means it is.

If it isn`t clone A , i`d love to see a photo!

Hey SpunWhirllin!

If its Clone A Id like to see it!

Wouldnt one of those reverted pups have a chance of throwing either a A or B clone out?

I've wondered too myself on activity levels in reverted pups taken from a tbm - higher? Should be able to take pics next week.

I have one large TBM that started off looking just like yours with one spineless phallic pup coming out of a spiny rounder one. Since then all (15 or so) pups have been the round type with spines. It seems quite common for the first new pup of any offcut to be the phallic type, but this doesn't continue.

Let us know if it does though :)

mine just keeps going. biggest single pup ive seen (in person)

post-4590-1249216000_thumb.jpg

post-4590-1249216364_thumb.jpg