The Corroboree
Ace

TBM variants

High Guys and Gals,

Just had a gander over at the nook and found some awesome TBM pics and variants. I was wondering if this type has been cultivated in Aus before, and if so, where the hell would one be found?

Its called 'Hulks Dick' for obvious reasons :P

post-2347-1172795922_thumb.jpgpost-2347-1172795947_thumb.jpg

post-2347-1172795966_thumb.jpg

*Pics not mine, used without permission, can be found at the nook.

Please feel free to make this a thread for all TBM pics and info, perticularly on wierd variants :)

-Ace

post-2347-1172795922_thumb.jpg

post-2347-1172795947_thumb.jpg

post-2347-1172795922_thumb.jpg

post-2347-1172795947_thumb.jpg

Cool !!!

No spikes, thats gotta be better for the kiddies.

Not so sure I like the idea of drinking some hulk dick juice though :blink::lol:

Nice find Ace.

• Like 1

WOW!! crazy like...

Cheers Ace.

From what i can gather from trouts notes, they may be monstrose offshoots from t.bridgesii var longispinus cut and sold as monstrose plants. Is there any pics available that shows the full plant?

Also found a pic of the other longer tbm, like our normal one, just longer...

Bd

Sorry folks, I dont really have any info on the Hulks Dick other than the pics and that it is a TBM variety... The chap who was lucky enough to get this one also had a massive crested pedro - just beautiful - but we shall keep this thread open only to TBM pics and varieties.

Are the ones in Oz just the small sectioned ones? Like the huge Ebay one (current) as shown below:

post-2347-1172802765_thumb.jpg

*photo used without permission, original can be found at ebay.com.au

She is a beauty - but the general form appears to be fairly standard across the board. I want to try and track down some really unusual forms, like the Melted Wax ones and any other monstrose habits...

Are the ones in Oz just the small sectioned ones? Like the huge Ebay one

Yep, i would say most of our aussie ones are the short form. There may be a few longer forms out there but few and far between.

Oh, well thats not very exciting :P

Perhaps this can just become a nice thread full of any variants or other TBM pics from the net/elsewhere...

Have a look through his thread.

TBM pics

Edited by tonic

Thanks for the link tonic - sorry guys, I didnt see that thread, otherwise I would have added this there!

Perhaps the mods could move and attach this there?

Very cool TBMs!!

Hehehe, your not the only one Ace.. :) there are quite a few of us that have been hanging for for the other varieties to arrive into circulation..

Ive been keen on the phallic variety the most but this hulk dick is jst crazy..

From my personal observations, there seems to be 2 types in common circulation, one that gets a pointier tip and another one that is more squat and hexagonal although I guess this could jst be environmental.,

Hey, no worries Ace, I myself would love to get some more of the standard one, aswell as see some new ones on the market, they are such an amazing looking cactus, potent too from what I hear, that hulk dick [hideous namesake :lol: ] looks like a real monster, would love to get my hands on a few of those. Wonder what the activity of those would be like?

Sounds like the humble green phallis is very popular :P LOL

Tho I cant imagine it being just for its looks - the potency is meant to be extreme, but I have no idea - never even had one in the garden... :( I think the Hulk would lack as many concentrated alks than the smaller varieties, but that's just assuming that it is a faster grower (cos of size more than anythin)

BTW, I have made a request for any TBMs that people might be willing to trade with - if anyone could spare even a tiny segment, I would really appreciate it... :worship:

while on the subject of TBM. Has anyone tried grafting it onto pereskiopsis? could you remove a small pup that is just starting to emerge and graft it unto a pereskiopsis. I can imagine this would be good for propagating due to the quick growth.

From my personal observations, there seems to be 2 types in common circulation, one that gets a pointier tip and another one that is more squat and hexagonal although I guess this could jst be environmental.,[/color]

i think this is the pointy one your talking about andy

it's not mine it was on eBay last month in germany

post-1277-1172821686_thumb.jpgpost-1277-1172821700_thumb.jpg

post-1277-1172821686_thumb.jpg

post-1277-1172821700_thumb.jpg

post-1277-1172821686_thumb.jpg

post-1277-1172821700_thumb.jpg

I believe this is the TBM 'Inermis' clone, I have one myself (The Netherlands).

I've been talking with one of the forum members and offered to trade it with him, so he can import it into Australia.

Can't wait to see this project succeed. :rolleyes:

Thats what my thoughts were last night Strangey, while i was cutting a few sections off for propagation.

I noticed that some of my plants i thought may have been the longer variety, are actually normal short sectioned ones. I can see the some of the older sections were infact longer with far fewer and smaller spines, and the new, more fertilized and higher light intensity growth to be much shorter and more stout. Also this somewhat showes a little truth toward the proposition that the length and ammount of spines may in fact be determined by light levels. New growth is soo much more spikier than the old.

gallery_1274_18_47144.jpg

I know the older growth is smaller than the other longer TBM's but i think we may be looking at the same effects of ferts and light levels. Anyone else got similar growth happening?

So are specimens like this just the normal stubby clone but grown in low light?

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...ost&id=4657

On SS-list is mentioned: Trichocereus bridgesii fma. monstrosus clone A & B

I think A should be the short-segmented clone, and B might be the one that just, well, gets longer segments also.

And I believe the "Inermis" is another distinct clone.

Trichocereus bridgesii f. monstrosus clone B

One of 2 disitinct mutant clones of this beautiful blue-green Bolivian cactus. 2-5 ribs initially bearing 3" yellow spines then becoming smooth and spineless. The stems reach 4"-6" in length then stop growing and begin to offset. Eventually forms dense stands to 6' tall made up of hundreds of small multi-branched stems.

Edited by Sebas

I think this thread might have confused the whole thing a little?

Like the post above me says, there are the two varieties A and B one of which is short clumping and the other like Andy said is the phallic one.

Melted wax one is not a TBM, but rather the occasional pups of 'monstrosey' bridgesii clones (i.e. the ones that grow normal but can sometimes have a monstrose pup).

I am pretty sure no other TBM varieties exist, and any difference you see is due to environment. I doubt a new variety would simply grow as a pup from these two (maybe if you exposed it to radiation or colchicine or something)

As for Hulk, well I think BD is right on that one.

Wat about Kai? and the other monstrose form that jactus was offering a while back. I don't know if I'd considerthese full monstrose, but they are certainly a distict variant with monstrose like growth patterns.

the other monstrose form that jactus was offering a while back.

post-1277-1173088483_thumb.jpgpost-1277-1173088534_thumb.jpg

:)

post-1277-1173088483_thumb.jpg

post-1277-1173088534_thumb.jpg

post-1277-1173088483_thumb.jpg

post-1277-1173088534_thumb.jpg

Ok here's what I want to know:

There's seemingly dozens of "strains" of T bridgesii - wouldn't most any strain of T bridgesii have the potential to go monstrose? I have a couple TBM clone B's and they seem to be different strains, or at least they have different morphology...

So there could be T bridgesii sp Baker monstrose, T bridgesii SS02 monstrose, "Eileen" monstrose etc etc - does this make sense?

bridgesii as a species has more monstrose habits than its siblings, but except for TBM A,B and "hulk dick" and melted wax clones, the rest of them will usually go a bit monstrosey and then revert to normal growth pattens...

However, not all strains carry this characteristic.

I would say calling a chunk of monstrosey Eileen "Eileen monstrose" to be simply incorrect, as maybe if you cut and plant that piece it will probably just revert to normal growth parameters.

I have a small 'Eileen' which has very interesting characteristics, these being a monstrose appearance with a melted wax tendancy, I will be monitoring this one closely over the next few years and attempting to isolate the mutation if it is apparently reverting back to normal. I will keep everyone posted if people are keen to hear how it goes? Possibly some for trade in a while, she is small though, so it may take a while.

Eileen is a notorious shapeshifter and usually does what she likes, it'd be nice but I doubt a monstrose Eileen clone will materialise from such.