The Corroboree
kindness

Raising A.Phlebophylla

Nice! How old is that one ferret?

Anyone know What time of year do phlebs germinate in the wild?

probably about 5 years old.

not certain when they germinate, but I would suspect springtime or early summer after temps increase, snow melts and water becomes more available

• Like 1

My first phleb seedlings. Heavily scarified, soaked in cold water til swollen, then placed in sphagnum moss on top of native potting mix with perlite. Situated in greenhouse. Others are still to germinate.

post-13197-0-80886600-1426586506_thumb.j

post-13197-0-80886600-1426586506_thumb.jpg

post-13197-0-80886600-1426586506_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

My first phleb seedlings. Heavily scarified, soaked in cold water til swollen, then placed in sphagnum moss on top of native potting mix with perlite. Situated in greenhouse. Others are still to germinate.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Awesome! So is now a good time, coming up to winter, to get em started? Havent done anything with the seeds I got yet coz I thought it might be best to wait until spring

• Like 2

Hey cubism,, I honestly don't know mate. I put in 10 seeds, and left 10 seeds for later,, methods from no scaring and hot water soaking to light scarification and cold water soak, to heavy scaring and cold water soak. Some in soil and others in sphagnum moss. I just jumped in and had a go. Defly not as easy as all the other acacias I've done. Still tho, it's only been 2 weeks since sown. Other acacia heads have said they had them come up after months. I'll probably leave the rest til October or something.

• Like 2

Thanks upsy!!!

• Like 1

beautiful thread! good vibes to those giving back

Yo anyone got seed out there? IM a successful grower of phlebs ( just gonna run my knuckles on my vest and adjust my monocle)

And have got quite a few planted out thriving but I'm keen to do an Autumn run of seed but don't have a supplier as yet, got plenty to trade or happy to give cash :)

• Like 2

I just plant straight into tree tubes after leaving in mugs filled with boiling water straight from the kettle overnight.

The media I use is anything I have at hand, ranging from straight cheap area potting mix to top dollar port mix mixed with coarse sand and perlite at a 3.1.1 ratio. I do d them to be quite hardy and easy to grow in my climate and conditions. They need plenty of water to start with, but once they are up and going I've found them to be extremely hardy.

• Like 2

Would love to give ya some mate but I only got 8 seeds myself. Hopefully someone will come thru for ya

Edit - thx for the growing tips too

Edited by Cubism

Likewise incognito,,if my seedlings continue to grow and others germ I could spare a few but will have to wait for now. Took me ages to get these babies,, like gold around here ;)

Got some to trade you for some of your trich seeds if you'd like Incog?

• Like 1

I've also got some seed collected from mtb in jan. not sure if I should plant some now or wait until spring. If anyone wants a few to try germinating pm me

• Like 5

I've also got some seed collected from mtb in jan. not sure if I should plant some now or wait until spring. If anyone wants a few to try germinating pm me

keen as

post-16231-0-62966400-1426922842_thumb.j

I moved this guy every morning for a week and every afternoon he was back!

post-16231-0-62966400-1426922842_thumb.jpg

post-16231-0-62966400-1426922842_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

IVe planted an accuminata and phleb hedge along the fence line between my neighbour and I, I alternated phleb, accum, phleb accum planted 50cm apart, I hear acacias hedge well so we will see how it goes!

• Like 5

I've had planted for coming up to two months now, the phlebs have put on growth since being in the ground, not so much the accuminata. Am I the only one that finds accuminata to get to thrive ? What's the trick ?

• Like 1

Planted out phleb along with confusa, flori, simplex, koa seeds a few days ago.

Phleb was the first to pop up!

Hopefully can keep it alive now.

Ended up giving my seeds away as i thought i wouldnt have the time or space to grow..

Now i do so hoping to find a few more..

• Like 1

Anyone have a source for a Bradyrhizobium innoculant? I have found Wattle Grow but it's $100 for enough to do 75kg of seed. Anyone want to go halves? I want to use to germinate courtii and phleb.

• Like 1

just go dig up soil from around other wattles to innoculate.

rhizobium is everywhere. and probably better to use from soil as there would be a better compliment of associated bacteria and fungi.

• Like 2

I've had planted for coming up to two months now, the phlebs have put on growth since being in the ground, not so much the accuminata. Am I the only one that finds accuminata to get to thrive ? What's the trick ?

Hey incog, this is a five year old acuminata. It's the biggest from one batch of seedlings planted in winter 2010. The rest are between 10-50% smaller depending on their location, they were a bit hit and miss in terms of speed but most of them are 8-10ft or more; the difference in their speed of growth was more in their spread and "fullness".

I have never watered or added anything to this plant, i.e. fertiliser or rhizobium. My annual rain fall is 350mm, soil is poor loam on clay with crumbly limestone about 80cm down. There's no trick, it could be the soil structure/type?

I do not think acuminata is a good hedging plant, IME it grows narrow and tall and does not fill in below say a metre which is what you want from hedge. It's not a great windbreak either unless it is staggered with other, bushier plants. It is a good host for Santalum species. The narrow-leaf variant would be a better hedge because it is bushier but is a far less attractive plant IMO and slower growing. Burkitii is bushy, but slow, but i don't think it likes clay it would prefer sand.

Floribunda on the other hand is very quick and bushy and would probably respond to pruning where acuminata would not. That would make a good acacia hedge. But it will die quickly too, 10-15 years i don't know. The advantage of acuminata is it lives a long time, and this is probably reflected by the fact that it can grow slow as well.

But my guess...

If you planted your plants in summer, they are growing slow because summer is not their growth period - especially for their roots. They should pick up in cooler weather with natural rainfall and get going in the following winter after you first planted them, i.e. their second growing season. Mine do not grow in summer, even if there are summer rains. They might have grown if I watered them but i doubt it, maybe just a little.

If they are not performing well in 18 months, only then would I be concerned and this would probably mean they do not like the soil type and you should chose a different species.

I like acuminata a lot, it is attractive and hardy, does not seem to compete strongly against things planted closely nearby and develops attractive furrowed bark within four or five years. Good luck!

I've never tried phleb. I did recently plant one and I look forward to seeing the results in six months' time when I see it next.

post-1521-0-63094000-1429446851_thumb.jp

post-1521-0-63094000-1429446851_thumb.jpg

post-1521-0-63094000-1429446851_thumb.jpg

Edited by Micromegas
  • Like 3