The Corroboree
gtarman

What's your favourite chilli and why?

Interested to hear what chillies folks like to get some ideas for new ones to grow. I'm mostly interested in terms of flavour. I haven't tried too many different kinds so I'd say to date my favourite is the habanero, I love the fruity taste it adds and the punch it packs.

• Like 1

got 2... tabasco (capsicum frutescens) and jalepino (annuum)

why? ... - flavours and looks mainly .. and ease of growing ..

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

Fatalii. By far. Aroma and taste are far superior to any other chili, even all habanero sorts, and heat level is perfect for me, not too hot, but spicy enough.

I just sliced a few in half a week ago to dry, and the whole house is smelling of them still.

EDIT: Oh yeah, when I say fataliis are 'not too hot', that's only by my standards, they are hotter than any habanero I've tried, in the range of some jolokias, so take that into the account if you don't like it too hot.

Edited by Berengar
  • Like 4

Chiletepins are my favorite. Awesome smokey flavor... but their spiciness is uniquely short lived and doesn't accumulate in your mouth like other chilis.

Habeneros because they are reliable for making hot salsa. I always add at least one to the batch. Helps the sinuses, and generally just fun to eat... but sometimes it hurts my stomach the next morning if I eat too much.

Nothing really exotic about my preferences :)

• Like 1

It depends on the application.

Mildly spicy spice paprikas have a nice meaty rich flavor when ripened to blood red that goes great on chilli

Fruity C. chinense varieties are great with curries and hoppin' john

Lemony C. chinense varieties are great with gumbo

This year I grew out 10 F2 plants of a hybrid I made between a wild vitamin A rich C. chinense and a extra large habanero type (Congo Trinidad) and the group gave me a sample of everything. Yellow, orange, red, blood red, lemony, lemon with peach, fruity, smokey fruity, fruity with flowers, ranging from 75% to 150% habanero heat.

I think my favorite isnt a pepper, its a unique variety of peppers to set the themes for that year, lol

• Like 2

It's a toss up between the chocolate habanero and the Trinidad yellow 7 pot for me.

Chocos have such a nice flavour, they are quite hot, but not too hot.

Yellow 7s are insanely hot, they hit hard and fast in the front of the mouth, but oh, my, gosh. That tropical passionfruit flavour and aroma. Exquisite.

• Like 1

I can't pick a favourite, but if you like habaneros then you should try some bahamian goat peppers. They are good

• Like 1

Fatalii. By far. Aroma and taste are far superior to any other chili, even all habanero sorts, and heat level is perfect for me, not too hot, but spicy enough.

I just sliced a few in half a week ago to dry, and the whole house is smelling of them still.

EDIT: Oh yeah, when I say fataliis are 'not too hot', that's only by my standards, they are hotter than any habanero I've tried, in the range of some jolokias, so take that into the account if you don't like it too hot.

How would you describe the aroma and taste of the Fatali Barengar?

It's a toss up between the chocolate habanero and the Trinidad yellow 7 pot for me.

Chocos have such a nice flavour, they are quite hot, but not too hot.

Yellow 7s are insanely hot, they hit hard and fast in the front of the mouth, but oh, my, gosh. That tropical passionfruit flavour and aroma. Exquisite.

How would you say the choc habanero varies from your more standard habs? Also where can I find seeds of this Trinidad yellow 7 pot? That sounds awesome!

I love the fiesta that bullit sent me, its not got a massive water requirement. Has plenty of taste and heat too, has fruit all year round too

• Like 1

I luv bhut jolokia because it burns intensely then I feel funny... Strangely I don't enjoy the taste of chillies, but I do enjoy the heat so I end up eating them with most meals.

How would you say the choc habanero varies from your more standard habs? Also where can I find seeds of this Trinidad yellow 7 pot? That sounds awesome!

Hard to put into words, but probably about par with standard habs heat wise. They just have such a lovely tropical aroma, real scotch bonnet kinda smell if you know it.

Send me your address and I'll post you some yella 7 seeds gtarman.

• Like 1

Fruity C.chinese (like hab's or trinidad cardi yella) for the gradual whole mouth warming effect. Birds eye types sting the tip of tongue & heat build quick & are excellent if mashed up together fresh & allowed to ferment a bit in a glass jar (till the smell makes you mouth water), adding some old fermented chilli speeds it up heaps. Thinking about smoked poblano's is making my mouth water now.

If you haven't tried fermented chilli both smoked & fresh you are in for a treat.

Edited by Leaves
  • Like 1

^ How would you use the fermented chilli Leaves? Any links to recipes or what have you? Never thought of doing that before

Gtarman there are a few fermented chilli sauce recipes online. I have been making it for the last few months, it's easy and delicious. Tobasco sauce is actually fermented aswell

...the fermented chilli Leaves...

I completely misread that for a minute :lol:

Fermented chili paste is great anywhere you need salty-sour spicy. Fish if thats your go, cheese, on fried eggplant, in curries. I made just over 1 liter of habanero-esque fermented paste and put it on boiled potatoes, the next day I started a second batch of paste. :devil:

I prefer to dice the chillies and ferment them in 5% brine for 3+ weeks, I hold them down with a cabbage leaf and marbles and the leaf inoculates it. Drain the liquid off and make it paste when it stops bubbling. The developed brine 'waste' can be used as an interesting alternative to soy sauce or you can use it to pickle okra or something.

Edited by Auxin
  • Like 2

Interesting! That sounds really cool. And would you cover the container they're in while they're fermenting or leave it open? Does fermenting them affect the heat at all?

I ferment in quart to half gallon glass jars covered by glass petri dishes so I can watch it bubble from the top as well. I'm easily amused. Inverted lids work too. Uncovered would promote contam.

Fermenting for 3 weeks at 25° C seems to reduce the heat by half or just above that. Hard to judge, really, since I otherwise only eat those peppers diced rather than as unfermented paste.

I also cleaned up a 4 cm diameter 18 cm rod of stainless steel to use as a 'pickle hammer' to pack the stuff down in the jars. Since I dont wear gloves in the kitchen it reduces how much my hands burn when I take a hot shower after. :wink:

Doesnt have to be stainless. I've seen people use all sorts of things as pickle hammers, even baseball bats, although I've never seen someone use a bong, but then again I didnt watch anyone make pickles in college.

• Like 2

Get an airlock and stick it in the lid, available from any homebrew supplier. It will keep contams out and allow any gas to escape.

post-12747-0-55680300-1445482447_thumb.j

This has been fermenting for almost two weeks now. It has smoked chocolate bhut jolokia and aji limon in it and smells so good

post-12747-0-55680300-1445482447_thumb.jpg

post-12747-0-55680300-1445482447_thumb.jpg

• Like 4