The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gtarman

My opinion of the movie "Prometheus"

So I just watched the movie Prometheus after hearing a friend talk about it. I could write something verbose and eloquent about how it fails to tick any of the boxes that make a film worth watching, but it really doesn't deserve eloquence.

In fact, I won't even say it sucks balls, because usually ball-sucking leads to pleasure for at least one of the parties involved. This movie is basically the celluloid equivalent of two people simultaneously poking eachother in the eye. And maybe biting their tongues at the same time. Stupid, pointless movie. The end.

I watched it on an international flight and it kept me mildly entertained. I liked the mythical themes. Better than some Ben Assfleck rom com anyhow...

It's in no way a classic, but like has already been said, it is mildly entertaining and imo a better movie than 99% of the crap they've been bringing out lately.

Just out of curiosity, what would you actually consider a decent mainstream film that has been released within the last 3 years?

Did they get their ideas from the Alien movie!? The similarities were pretty close. It wasn't awful, The fx were good, but I wouldn't recommend it. The Christian connotations were amusing.

I'd go for World War Z....

Did they get their ideas from the Alien movie!? The similarities were pretty close. It wasn't awful, The fx were good, but I wouldn't recommend it. The Christian connotations were amusing.

I'd go for World War Z....

It's meant to be a quasi prequel to Alien.

They've never really said it is a prequel, but it's pretty heavily implied. For the record, I thought it sucked. It's a watch once for a bit of entertainment then forget about sort of film.

Just out of curiosity, what would you actually consider a decent mainstream film that has been released within the last 3 years?

I don't think there are any...the last 'mainstream' movie I liked...which wasn't really mainstream at all, was Animal Kingdom. Maybe The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, but that was 4 years ago.

I watched it on an international flight and it kept me mildly entertained. I liked the mythical themes. Better than some Ben Assfleck rom com anyhow...

It's in no way a classic, but like has already been said, it is mildly entertaining and imo a better movie than 99% of the crap they've been bringing out lately.

Multi-reply: that's kinda my point - being less shit than certain movies doesn't make it a good movie or even an okay movie. My scale for rating movies is actually pretty simple - is it worth watching, or isn't it? Anything that isn't, I refer to as a crap movie, and don't really bother taking 'degrees of crappiness' into account.

I think by mildly entertaining, you might just mean that it occupies your attention for the duration of the movie, and that it has moments of suspense and tension (ie running away from a storm, fighting squid things etc). But IMO it's a complete waste of 2 hours worth of attention, and something you could get from any polished turd that Hollywood turns out these days.

But I tend to have higher standards than most people I guess.

Have only read the plot on wiki and didn't excite me in the slightest way,

It would be a shit movie, terrible

I want "the corroboree movie " to be made.

Guess I just find anything that touches on the origin of humanity interesting, whether it’s fictional or non-fictional.

The film does kind of remind me of SG Universe, in the sense that the premise of it has so much damn potential to be really awesome, but the actual plot and dialect just gets hacked and completely sucks.

I want "the corroboree movie " to be made.

sounds riveting. a bunch of nerds noodling in their gardens & occasionally typing silently at their computers about plant related things & other strange & nerdy stuff.. add a bit of suspense, some special effects & a few explosions & it might even be better than Prometheus

It would get Grammy nominations man,

It would be immensely fun casting actors into the roles of mods and trusted members , also many of the banned members as well.

the general consensus on this movie is the same everywhere you go. sometimes the amount of background and depth that needs to be interwoven with the action makes it fall a bit flat especially when people dont quite get it. and how could anyone get it first watch? it requires a lot of analysis, you need to pause your viewer on the carved tablet for instance, then go onto a forum and discuss it.

scott didn't have to make a movie that provides a commentary on the origins and failures of the human race, he tried to create a meaningful mythology and i like it, i also think its one of the better contributions to the alien franchise (weyland-yutani backstory which exemplifies human selfishness and helps drive the plot). it had some cool vehicles and devices in the spirit of aliens 2 and an imdomitable female character in the spirit of lt ripley.

there is a great opportunity for prometheus 2 since the main character is en route to the engineers homeworld in one of their spacecraft. rumours suggest the sequel is happening although they've had some trouble with the script.

i'm not saying anyone is wrong for disliking the movie, just providing some balance with my opinion.

It would get Grammy nominations man,

It would be immensely fun casting actors into the roles of mods and trusted members , also many of the banned members as well.

we're all far too good-looking to be portrayed by hollywood actors.

i can't put my finger on exactly what has people SO disenchanted with prometheus, i think one major factor is that the progression of bio-monstrosities can't really be plotted in any commonsense (even though the makings of the life cycle shown in aliens 2 is plainly there) like why did a human gestate a proto-facehugger (it all makes at least some sense, but not immediately).

it will never be considered among the very best movies of all time like the first alien movies are but its still a cool scifi horror.

After reading the plot it just seemed like so many straight to DVD scifi movies.

Alien squid ,drinking dark liquids, monster makes its way onto a space ship bound for earth...... not too many twists and turns ,to me it read very predictably.

Saw the trailer, read your deep and incisive critique/review, and decided I will not watch this movie. Thanks for saving me 1.5 hours (or whatever the duration is).

i can't put my finger on exactly what has people SO disenchanted with prometheus

I guess it just depends on what you like..different strokes for different folks and all that.

For my tastes I thought it was artless and poorly made, too many cliches, bad acting and casting, bad scripting etc. I think Shutter Island or Memento or Donnie Darko are the kind of movies that require and sometimes warrant further analysis and re-watches. But IMO Prometheus was pretty straightforward overall, and if there was deeper stuff in there I'm not quite sure I could be bothered with the excavation :P

But then again I tend to hate a lot of movies and have very exacting standards, and a lot of people don't mind the movies that I hate.

I had mixed feelings of being interested to being underwhelmed to being disappointed. Similarly when I saw Avatar I was really loving it all the visuals and the exploration of an alien planet undercover interacting with an 'alien' species with a touch of romance involved but then it had to revert to the same old plot of a good guys verses the bad guys battle with a bunch of explosions and deaths and destruction. :bootyshake:

guys do yourself a favour when you're watching movies. instead of looking for things you don't like, look for things you do.

james cameron and ridley scott have each made several of the best movies literally, several each of the best movies ever.

these days their reputation and net worth allows them to work on stories that mean something to them. tearing down their efforts must be pretty satisfying but i'm afraid millions of people have already been touched and enriched by these movies and it's too late to do anything about it!

edit: probably a petty thing to say but its said now.

I just watched Prometheus again last night, since the last time I watched it was well over 6 months ago now and I just wanted to reanalyse it to see what was so bad about it that could possibly deserve a whole thread on a plant forum bagging it out!

Anyway, I gotta say it’s actually a very decent movie. It’s not particularly predicable at all and is actually based on quite an interesting and intelligent premise. The religious references came across to me as simply a realistic representation of the human condition.

The only thing I can see wrong with this movie, is simply that they don’t make more movies like it. I find the whole idea fascinating and really hope they make a sequel. Would just love to know why? Lol.

Because they could ;)

oh you mean why did they decide to flush us down the toilet? Its kind of already explained. Still i look forward to prometheus 2.

I thought "Prometheus" was great in comparison to "Van Dieman's Land" which has to be the most pointless and wretched movie ever invented.

^ the epilogue was pretty awesome.

actually i don't think it was pointless at all, but i spose its clear that i shouldn't try to point out the merits of something that somebody has decided they don't like.

I totally dug it despite any perceived flaws. The HR Giger artwork and Charlise Theron alone made it worth the price of admission. I watched the original Alien series after I saw it and its certainly a much deeper movie than any of them and is a better made movie than all the ones after Aliens..

none of the serious fans seem to like any but the first two alien films. watching them as a kid i liked the third and fourth just fine but i'm not drawn back to them now.

movie related: i'm on a wes anderson kick right now.

If your into Anderson's i prefer W S Anderson, which is also slightly ontopic.

prometheus is pretty a decent film, re-watch the alien films again....

IMO it is a pretty decent film as the first of three films - prequels / existing in the same world as alien world.

and I am saying this as a sick fan of the all 5 alien films (including alien VS predator)

Prometheus, which I only watched once so far, was a bit flawed, but to me, as both a sci-fi fan and alien fan and brain movies fan, prometheus left me definately satisfied. And even in the "spiritual/religious" overtone of the film, it had me satisfied, even me being a stronig atheist..

I even found the slightest of references to alien very exciting, as I found the score of the film which deliberately tries to imitate the atmosphere of the alien universe...

expectations and hype can destroy the impression a film makes to you.

in the case of prometheus, I suppose its a film that had so many to hate it for what it did not deliver, so its only understandable with my character to love the film, for what it does deliver in relevance to alien too, and also expecting very anxiously the next 2 films!

from the world or reviewers, as years came by I found out that more and more people just want an excuse to bitch about something...

I am an avid fan of horror/splatter/thriller b-movie etc So many people f.e. say "this is the worse film I have ever seen" for so many movies that are pretty decent, really...

and in that

I agree with thunderideal

there are some films that really deserve the bashing

fake-snuff films

or

propaganda films (mostly american)

are fine examples of films that deserve bashing

but boy

when I see someone bashing prometheus, then you have to be able to say something....

am not seeing anything

and am happilly surprised to agree with people I usually disagree with!!

EDITED BY MODERATOR!