The Corroboree
spiders

Any finds in aussie yet?

fist time i saw them in SW WA i was astounded

(near collie)

ti thought they were psilocybes as well!

same habitat too - amonsgt bracken along moist creeklines

lucky i didnt eat them!

since then ive come across thsi species one several occassions

in SW wa and also up here at yabbra state forest in nthn NSW amongst Eucalyptus grandis

thats two sightings well outside the recorded area

but seeing as i reported the wellington (collie) sighting and no record of it has been added in over 5 years then i dont think ill bother telling them about the other..

Yeah, I found em in the adelaide hills, near the train tracks by a small reserve. I ate them too, no noticeable effects (I was much younger and care free), no noticeable kidney problems, just 1 or 2 thrown in the pot with the others.

Later I was told to stay away from them :(

You might try cutting/squeezing mushrooms off at the stems next time too, so you don't rip a nasty hole out of the substrate. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just trying to look out for your patch :)

Thanks :) though afoaf said it was deliberate for a number of reasons. Much appreciated though.

I just nicked this photo off the shroomery, I think it's one of Trich-aura's.

Beautiful!

gallery_608_4_51020.jpg

Edited by strangebrew

that is a great photo isnt it? unfortunately i can't take the credit for it as it was my brother (OOISI on shroomery) that had taken it in a suburban woodchip bed in the hills.

Here are some Pics i took a couple of weeks back. They arnt of the greatest quality because they were taken on my Phone Camera. Still pretty pictures none the less :)

This first patch was in thick foliage with woodchip underneath, as well as litter from a nearby gum tree. These were rather tall subs, and in my previous experience, they always grow bigger when they are close to the foot of a gum tree. Has anyone else found this? I wonder if there is any particular reason for this happening...

gallery_1056_4_119014.jpg

These ones were found in a collection of woodchip and pine needles. As you can see they are quite bell shaped. I was wondering, are these a different variety of Subs or are they 'Gold Tops'? I didnt think they grew in Melbourne metro area.

gallery_1056_4_124313.jpg

Edited by HipoCracY

The second pic ones are probably a bit less mature maybe?

Both are subs I think.

I have also found the best subs in my area on woodchip covered in eucalypt litter.

I think they have a mycorrhizal relationship.

The second pic ones are probably a bit less mature maybe?

No these were definatly mature ones, guess they are just another variation, mebbe to do with the envoronment they are growing in. Thanks for the feedback though :)

No these were definatly mature ones

On what basis do you make this assertion? They look to me like they have dried out before they have fully matured.

I would have to agree with ballzac there, those mushies do look as though they have dried out a bit, therefore halting the maturation process. But like you said hipocracy about the environment, the first pic looks like there is alot more moisture and would dry out slower than the more "open" second picture therefore giving the mushies in the first pic more growing time to reach full size.

Ok fair enough, i have been to the patch a few times and have never seen any different, though it is definatly the dryer of the 2. I guess i will have to wait for a really wet week first to be 100% sure. Thanks for the feedback, it's given me some usefull knowledge :)

Edited by HipoCracY

ive seen patches that only ever throw out bell shaped caps like those.. usually with lots of veil remnants hanging off the margins too. growing only a couple of metres from a patch of 'regular' subs in identical conditions.. i think its genetic :P

I have seen a wide range of different shapes and sizes of subs, some very odd indeed. The thing is that the ones pictured appear identical to regular subs prior to maturity, and they have clearly dried out as opposed to rotting because they have reached maturity. How can anyone say with any certainty that they would not turn out like 'normal' subs given the chance? I stand by my earlier post.

I agree with ballzac. I have seen patches have dried out stopping the mushrroms from maturing, leaving them bell shaped, while others in the same patch that did not dry out continued to grow as normal. Also the colour of the caps in the photo is very golden sugessting they have dried out.

But subs do vary a lot so genectics may play some role. I have found in areas where subs grow next to gum trees they grow in greater numbers the closer you get to the tree.

im currently starting my own sub patch... atm ive got wood with some mycelium on it in a plastic container with some un colanised wood to hopefully help spread the myc.

Im just keeping it in my cupboard and watering it every 2-3 days.

Does Mycelium need light to grow? i understand that it doesnt but i could definatly be wrong

cheers all

Im just keeping it in my cupboard and watering it every 2-3 days.

every 2-3 days is probably too much... you don't want any liquid water in the container, just high humidity and moist substrate.

Does Mycelium need light to grow? i understand that it doesnt but i could definatly be wrong

It doesn't need light to produce energy, but it does need it so the mushrooms know in which direction to grow. They can grow in total darkness but the shrooms will grow off in all directions.

every 2-3 days is probably too much... you don't want any liquid water in the container, just high humidity and moist substrate.

It doesn't need light to produce energy, but it does need it so the mushrooms know in which direction to grow. They can grow in total darkness but the shrooms will grow off in all directions.

ahhh k i better tip some of the excess water out of the bottom now!

Nah im not trying to grow shrooms in there, ive heard growing subs indoors is pretty hard an un-reliable...im just trying to develop more mycelium on the woodchip (as it is easier to control the variables indoor), then i will bury it with some woodchip and stuff outside in a month or 2

hmm in my container that im developing the woodchip in there are fine strands like a spider web developing...but there developing very tight (crowded)... i was wondering if this is maybe the mycelium devoloping? hopefulyl it isnt a spider web :BANGHEAD2:

ohh yeh and there are tiny balls of precipitation on 'webs', if thats of any value

any ideas folks?

cheers

Sounds like mycelium forming to me, although I haven't had a great deal of experience in mushroom cultivation.

Sydney's seen some great rain and cold, overcast conditions these last 5 days. Seems like a month ago my urban patch would have been pumping out the fruit. Now I'm getting next to nothing...

What's the buzz from fellow Sydney-siders? Is the season closing or is my patch just exhausted?

went out today for a quick hunt at a well known haunt. I wasnt expecting much after we passed three carloads of p-platers leaving the area but i soldiered on anyway. As i thought the patch was bare, but after some walking to a small patch that is rarely visited i turned up a few.

This is without a doubt the worst season i have seen for this area. :BANGHEAD2:

Three variations from the one small patch.

post-1464-1153298019_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1153298188_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1153298426_thumb.jpg

Img_0215.jpg

Img_0216.jpg

Img_0217.jpg

Img_0215.jpg

Img_0216.jpg

Img_0217.jpg

post-1464-1153317291_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1153317427_thumb.jpg

Img_0225.jpg

Img_0230.jpg

Img_0225.jpg

Img_0230.jpg

gallery_1438_4_136539.jpg